By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “Still millions” of potential Wii customers, says NoA boss

Yep it will get some sales but no where near what it was. I'm looking to get the wii u as well.

Around the Network

I could see a redesigned "Wii Classic" sold for $99.99 with digital download/retail games for $19.99-$29.99 a pop and sold in non-conventional locations like grocery stores and 7-11s (along with the usual retailers) doing well.

RolStoppable said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
What do you guys think about a new $99 price tag? Do you think it will happen? I'm sure that would move a bunch of units.

It will eventually happen, but not this year. Nintendo doesn't have enough sales to get from it to make it worth, so they are better off taking what they can get, especially in their current financial situation. And you never know, the Wii U might be struggling next year, so a $50 price cut on both SKUs could be necessary. All the more reason to keep the Wii at $149 for a little while longer.

Makes sense.

I don't think we'll see a price cut for the Wii U anytime soon, though. I know Pachter predicted a price cut in 2013 in response to the next round of consoles, but if I had to wager, I'd bet on the price remaining constant for at least two years.

I believe the Wii stayed at $250 for three years, although I'm not positive.

well I just jumped in a month ago on the wii train. There is an amazing back catalogue of games to pick up and I got a lot on queue to play..

DanneSandin said:
If they catered to other markets as well Wii could reach 120m - but they really have to launch it in eastern Europe and South America then....

lol really

Around the Network
Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:
If they catered to other markets as well Wii could reach 120m - but they really have to launch it in eastern Europe and South America then....

lol really

Yes really.

Do you know how many people there are in South America and Eastern Europe? It's not a stretch to think 20m of them will buy a Wii someday. Especially when like 60m of them bought a PS2.

S.Peelman said:
Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:

lol really

Yes really.

Do you know how many people there are in South America and Eastern Europe? It's not a stretch to think 20m of them will buy a Wii someday. Especially when like 60m of them bought a PS2.

lol you cant compare ps2 success with wii there

I think that Wii can still sell very well in those markets.
Wii is still a very ease to use console, has a great library of games and if Nintendo pushes Wii with two controllers/nunchuks, compiles 2 games in a single package, pushes Wii VC and Wii Ware games, for example, i don`t see a reason for countries with lower incomes or in some cases countries who are seeing an increase in income - like Brazil -, wouldn`t support Wii.

It will depend on how Wii will be sold and marketed.

Turkish said:
S.Peelman said:
Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:

lol really

Yes really.

The thing working for the Wii is what made it sell so well all over the world; it's new (well, it would be new if released it the above meantioned regions) and it's easy to use. And as far as I know it won't have to compete against HD graphics. I think SOny's gonna release PS3 in South America some time down the road, so if Wii is gonna release down there it has to be soon to make an impact.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Turkish said:
S.Peelman said:
Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:

lol really

Yes really.

I know the PS2 is some kind of divine entity to you, but just because Wii's sales have slowed in the West and Japan doesn't mean it will fail in the new markets.

It will be new there. It will sell. It's just as big of an upgrade to them (the people of Eastern Europe and South America) as a new Gen is for us. The Wii will be the 'new' thing replacing their 'old' thing; the PS2 which they had for a while now.

And for the record. I wasn't comparing the PS2's succes to the potential Wii's. If anything, I said PS2 would beat the Wii 3-1 in the end in those markets, but sales will be there nontheless.