By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U won’t make Achievements Mandatory for all games.

Sounds good to me. I don't mind achievements - some times I even like them, especially if they unlock stuff in the game - but many times they are just shoehorned in for the sake of being there. Unless your game is really bad and people playing it really deserves a medal for each stage cleared then what's the point of getting an achievement for doing nothing but progressing through the game?

So I'm definitely in favour of this decision. Developers are free to include any amount of achievements but aren't forced to do it. I'll still be able to show off my unlocked achievements through Miiverse. That's enough for me personally, though I understand why people who like having the total of all achievements from all games available are furious.

Around the Network

It should be up the developers themselves imo, forcing them to do so would surely act as a disincentive to develop on the platform. I also dislike the whole competitive nature that trophies and achievements have taken.

That said, I feel that many more games should use Sakurai's 'prize wall', imo achievements done right

Red4ADevil said:
Euphoria14 said:
z101 said:
Yes! These achievement systems are dumb as hell.

But I fear some developers will include this in their games anyway.

Just curious, but why would you fear that? If they added trophies/achievements to a game what is the big negative? I have never understood this sentiment.

Having them hurts nobody, meanwhile by not having them it could potentially turn people away.

Like wfz said

"Those aren't achievements, they're ways for insecure gamers to feel better about themselves with bloated gamerscores. The other 99.99% of gamers don't give a crap about these stupidly placed achievements". (Hope you mind I quoted you in a quote wfz :P)

Some acheivements are ok in my book, but overall uneccessary since people will be too focused on acomplishing that little part in the game and forget about what the true purpose of playing the game...Having fun. But thats just me. Highscores are are kinda similar but games like Tetris are made for that.

I think that sounds more like someone not caring for what someone else likes and instead of just stating that, they instead go on and badmouth those that do.

That is just elitism at it's finest.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Yeah, achievements for me is something like Super Smash Bros trophies or Zelda Minish Cap statues... something you crave to get, that have a separate page inside the game menu and you can admire them - with a little bit of info tidbit - what? Ice Climbers original enemy was a baby seal you had to club?

Not a pop in.

I believe this may show how many developers care to put these types of things into their software and how many, when given the chance, will pass on it. Other than that, I am not one to care as those things do not affect me in any way. If I want to play a game again, I will because I want to and that is thee only reason.

I can understand why some would care, but it is a fairly meaningless feature in my opinion.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

It seems to me like it would largely be a non-issue except for certain first-party Nintendo games, third party exclusives, and smaller games where Achievements have never been the right fit anyway

Think about it: with Achievements and Trophies in place, third parties running quick multiplats will have a selection of these sorts of things in place already, which they can slap a different name on and call it a day.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Viper1 said:
Galaki said:
How am I supposed to show people my epeen?!
Why Nintendo!? WHY?!!!

I know you are being faceitious but some people still are missing something here so I'll answer your question for their benefit.

2 ways.  If the developers want to utilize the accomplishment system, they can so you'll have your listing that way.   The games will also be linked into MiiVerse which means your epeen will be seen if you want it to be.

I was being serious!

Or am I?

wfz said:

This is the perfect way to do it. Some games are built around the concept of achievements better than others, and nothing annoys me more than:

1) *Starts new file* = Achievement unlocked!
2) *Gets through tutorial* = Achievement unlocked!
3) *Gets to second level* = Achievement unlocked!

Those aren't achievements, they're ways for insecure gamers to feel better about themselves with bloated gamerscores. The other 99.99% of gamers don't give a crap about these stupidly placed achievements.

I got so used to these kinds of achievements/trophies that I feel really bad playing Max Payne 3. I'm on Chapter VIII and I've only got 4% of the trophies since the game gives very few "story trophies".

Signature goes here!

Good. I love the Xbox 360 (my favourite system this generation) but Achievements annoy the hell out of me.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I'm not too interested either way in achievements etc, however coming from the "Gotta collect them all company" you would have thought that just maybe they would have had a system like this in place a long time ago.

"Like you know"