By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMORANG-The Last Guardian Trademark “Dead” and “Abandoned

A sad day for gaming indeed.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network

The trademark being abandoned has nothing to do at all with the status of the game's development. Heavens, some of you guys are such alarmists.

Straight from someone who actually knows what he's talking about:

"The Internet exploded today following news that Sony had "abandoned" the trademark for their much-anticipated PlayStation 3 game The Last Guardian. And indeed, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has filed a "Notice of Abandonment" to inform Sony that the trademark is reverting to public domain.

But despite rampant speculation, this doesn't mean that the long-troubled game has been cancelled, nor does it mean that Sony is abandoning anything. What it means is that the trademark expired. Sony had three years to use The Last Guardian's trademark, which was filed in 2009. They haven't. The game has not been released. So the trademark officially switched to "abandoned" status because that's what happens when a trademark expires and is not extended.

As Kotaku columnist Superannuation points out on Twitter, Sony would have until January 2013 to "prove use in commerce." In other words, they would have to release the game by then. That's not happening. While it's certainly possible that Sony has abandoned the trademark, what seems far more likely is that someone slipped up and forgot to re-register it in time. Because even if the game was cancelled, Sony would have enough of an interest in the property to protect this trademark.

So what happens now? Sony can request an appeal or easily file a new registration for the trademark. They don't have to worry about anybody stealing it just for fun, since U.S. laws make it difficult to "park" on a trademark without proving that you intend to use it. I've reached out to Sony just in case they have other plans. But this sure doesn't seem like a sign that the game is no more."

Just thought I'd update this, since Sony have already replied:

http://www.onlysp.com/2012/08/09/the-last-guardian-still-in-development-sony-confirms/

It's still in development. We can all keep our hats on.

trasharmdsister12 said:
Kresnik said:

http://www.onlysp.com/2012/08/09/the-last-guardian-still-in-development-sony-confirms/

And what about our pants? They can't possibly expect us to keep those on after telling us it's still in development, can they?

You may do whatever you wish with your trousers.

trasharmdsister12 said:
Kresnik said:

And what about our pants? They can't possibly expect us to keep those on after telling us it's still in development, can they?

lol you should post more

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
Kresnik said:

well the pants weren't on in the first place....soooo

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

That's too bad for my friend who was looking forward to the game.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:

the game is coming...already confirmed ..your friend can relax now! Run now....Ruuuuuun and give him the good news ..and he shall reward you with respect

or just call or PM him on FB lol

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
mysticwolf said:

the game is coming...already confirmed ..your friend can relax now! Run now....Ruuuuuun and give him the good news ..and he shall reward you with respect

But what about the trademark thing?

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
mysticwolf said:

But what about the trademark thing?

It's apparently something normal. Last year the same has happened to versus. They just have to renew it. And there are regulations about the whole thing so sony won't have to worry about someone stealing the trademark. The only issue here would be if they decide to change the name. But I believe the trademark is still in affect in other regions like Japan and Europe. But sony re-confirmed the game is in development post this news.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!