By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

cant believe that this is happening
people trying to argue about something unforgivable like making like if your son did not exist, just because you dont like what he does, its selfish,its stupid, ugly and sensless, and probably based on nonsense (religion, maleness, homophobia...)

Around the Network

Sad. A father who abandons their child for what they do in life is sad. Even the parents of the guy who shot everyone at the batman movie are still behind their child.

Jay520 said:
happydolphin said:

1) I never said what he did was right, jeez jay did you even read my other posts? I just said, specifically, that I admired his ability to respect himself and what he felt was right, deep down inside of him.

2) I'm not saying I disagree. But better be true to himself than live a lie imho and say everything's alright.

1.) The bold suggest that you think it's wrong what the father is doing. If so, then how could you admire him doing something as harmful as negligence...just because a person thinks he's doing the right thing? Your sole reasoning for admiring his actions is the fact that he is doing what he's thinks is right. Using that reasoning, one could also admire any person (rapists, killers, robbers) as long as that person is doing what he/she feels is right, deep down.

2.) You can be true to yourself and still communicate with someone who goes against your beliefs. It's not like the son's lifestyle harms the father's lifestyle.

1) I never stated an opinion on whether it was right or wrong, I simply said I'm neutral to it at the moment. It's just how it is, my opinion isn't formed on this. Regarding negligence, from the letter this clearly is not a case of negligence. Otherwise, clarify the term, because I understand it to mean that a parent is failing to cater to the basic needs of a child (all needs other than contact). @rapist etc. No, rather one could use your reasoning to say "If they have a rapist in the family, there should be no reason to dishonor". The difference is that my point is more apples to apples than yours, because I as an external witness have similar convictions as the father on the topic (bar the dishonoring part) and I am not a criminal as far as I know.

2) I know, I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the opposite case you're not addressing, the case we mostly see where people do what you prescribe (to stay in contact with the son), but pretend that everything is okay. That's the opposite of what I was praising, the part where one would pretend that everything is okay when it really isn't.

Being gay is not a choice.
Being homophobic is.

Parent fail.

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

...I don't think the father hates his son. How do we know the father doesnt have gay coworkers. In 2012 he probably does.

How do we know the kid isn't a screw-up? Maybe he has done tons of irresponsible things in his life that his father forgave him for previously, but now the homosexuality reveal was the last straw?

Be honest, the father was probably disappointed with HIMSELF. I have never met a heterosexual man who purposely INTENDS on raising a homosexual son. Notice he sent a private letter, as opposed to a vicious phone call or e-mail barrage. He took the time to gather his thoughts and right them on paper. Also take note that there was no swearing involved either.

The father took this situation as a shock, and he reacted. If coming out of the closet was no longer a shocking issue, things like this would not be news, but yet it is. Just look at Frank Ocean. The father just cannot handle this. He understood the ramifications and potential divide it would cause.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

1) Regarding negligence, from the letter this clearly is not a case of negligence. Otherwise, clarify the term, because I understand it to mean that a parent is failing to cater to the basic needs of a child (all needs other than contact).

2.) @rapist etc.No, rather one could use your reasoning to say "If they have a rapist in the family, there should be no reason to dishonor". The difference is that my point is more apples to apples than yours, because I as an external witness have similar convictions as the father on the topic (bar the dishonoring part) and I am not a criminal as far as I know.

3.) I know, I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the opposite case you're not addressing, the case we mostly see where people do what you prescribe (to stay in contact with the son), but pretend that everything is okay. That's the opposite of what I was praising, the part where one would pretend that everything is okay when it really isn't.

1.) You're right, negligence is a poor word. Perhaps, abandonment is a better word. Okay, how could you admire something as harmful as abandonment, simply because the person thinks it's right? That's your only reasoning - Because he thinks it's right. You are neutral on whether his actions are right or wrong. You just admire his actions because he thinks he's doing the right thing. That does not make sense to me. 

Would you admire a father for abandoning his son for being a Republican....simply because the father believes republicans are wrong?

2.) Those examples don't apply anymore because they were based on the idea that you thought the father's actions were wrong, yet you still admired them. Of course now I know that you don't think the father's actions were wrong.

And no, they could not apply to me. I said there is no reason to abandon a son for being gay... because a son's gayness will not harm you. This doesn't apply to rapists, killers, etc because the knowledge that a person rapes and kills can be disturbing to others. This does not apply to a person being gay. There is no reason to be disturbed by homosexuality.

Also, all killers and rapists perform actions that harm people. There is good reason to abandon these people. On the contrary, simply being gay harms no one. Some homosexuals don't even exercise their homosexuality. So abandoning someone for simply being homosexual is wrong.

3.) Do you agree that the father could remain in contact with the son while still disapproving of the son's lifestyle? 

Jay520 said:

1.) a- You're right, negligence is a poor word. Perhaps, abandonment is a better word. Okay, how could you admire something as harmful as abandonment, simply because the person thinks it's right? That's your only reasoning - Because he thinks it's right. You are neutral on whether his actions are right or wrong. You just admire his actions because he thinks he's doing the right thing. That does not make sense to me. 

b- Would you admire a father for abandoning his son for being a Republican....simply because the father believes republicans are wrong?

2.) a- Those examples don't apply anymore because they were based on the idea that you thought the father's actions were wrong, yet you still admired them. Of course now I know that you don't think the father's actions were wrong.

b- And no, they could not apply to me. I said there is no reason to abandon a son for being gay... because a son's gayness will not harm you. This doesn't apply to rapists, killers, etc because the knowledge that a person rapes and kills can be disturbing to others. This does not apply to a person being gay. There is no reason to be disturbed by homosexuality.

Also, all killers and rapists perform actions that harm people. There is good reason to abandon these people. On the contrary, simply being gay harms no one. Some homosexuals don't even exercise their homosexuality. So abandoning someone for simply being homosexual is wrong.

3.) Do you agree that the father could remain in contact with the son while still disapproving of the son's lifestyle? 

1) Thanks for the negligence part. It helps to know you're actually talking to me and not just arguing.

Jay, I told you I didn't admire the abandonment. I admired him sticking to his convictions (being true to his feelings and convictions), what he did after that (abandonment, living with it outside of denial) is another thing I told you I didn't form an opinion on yet. 

As such, what I mean is I wouldn't admire the contrary (that everything is alright, when really it isn't). That's really all I'm trying to say. His actions only prove that he is respecting his feelings and convictions, as for whether it was the right thing to do or not is another story. I know this is subtle but read this again and if you still can't see what I mean ask again, I will clarify. Again, to be precise, I don't admire his actions (italics).

b) I would not, to be completely honest, and probably that proves that my judgement is tainted by my own convictions. Possibly I'm so certain that to judge someone on political division such as Republican or Democrat is a lack of judgement, you must be thinking the same on this issue. But to help contrast a little, what about participating in a Neo Natzist organization? That might make things a little more apples to apples I would think.

2) I neither consider his actions wrong nor right, I have yet to form an opinion, I think you got that part.

b- So first you give the impression that abandonment is wrong no matter what, but now I get the idea that you would in the case of gross crime (bold). Then why make me defend point 1?

3) I think so. It would be quite commendable given this person's feelings on the matter.

@spurge. I second that

I would never do this to my kids. I don't care about this, my Sister is gay, and it really changes nothing. I still love her, and her amazingly hot girl friend...

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Here's my take on the letter:

1. The letter implies that he spoke to his son earlier on the phone. Why did he decide to disown his son in the most deplorable way possible? This is nearly as bad as breaking up via text message, or firing somebody via an email. Is he really that cowardly that he can't look his son in the eye and say he doesn't want to see him again? You know why? He's afraid he'll buckle in the process.

2. It still surprises me the amount of people that still argue that, despite the amount of social ridicule and exile experienced by homosexuals, that people CHOOSE to be gay. Humans do not CHOOSE to get themselves into such situations, especially knowing the implications.

3. Many are arguing that the father cares because of the way that he ended his letter. To me, that ending sounded like sarcasm.

4. Parents mainly pull this kind of shit as a childish way of trying to persuade the other party. You know what? It's pure hypocrisy. Tell me, father....did your son learn a lesson about BEING HONEST WITH YOU? Perhaps you preferred he bottled it up, so you could enjoy your life of blissful ignorance, having no idea that you do not know your son at all.

Player1x3 said:

You know, gay couples are a lot more likely to get AIDS than heterosexuals... just putting that out there :)

More likely? You have some kind of breakthrough evidence that AIDS can discriminate based on sexuality? 

From what I recall, everyone has as much chance of being infected from a HIV positive partner, regardless of sexual preference.

If you're talking about AIDS spreading more through the gay community, you know what will fix that? Monogamy. So, I take it that you'll be all for gay marriage in order to stop the spread of AIDS?