By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

@Runa216
Keep an open mind. He stood up for his beliefs.He should be commended.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

.... infinitesimally...

Words like this should be prohibited. I just spent five precious minutes struggling to pronounce this word and failed horribly. You like making people feel bad or something?

homer said:
@Runa216

There are ways to stand up for your beliefs that are infinitesimally less hurtful than eternal disownment. His beliefs are strong, yes. But hisactions were excessive imo.

homer said:
@Runa216

And disowning him for any other reason would be considered psychological child abuse.

What if he decided to disown him because he ate shellfish?

What if he was born with physical abnormalities or retardation? If he believed that it could not happen naturally, would it still be just to disown him?

happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

I don't like them either, but they're infinitesimally rare compared to those who condemn it for religious purposes.  I've never personally met someone who condemned homosexuality that wasn't doing it 'becuase god calls it an abomination'.  

Me either, then again they are rare.

I think Nazist germany included homosexuals in the atrocities of the holocaust though.

Nazism was about German Nationalism, and Hitler's ideal for Germany was a Chriistian society. He even stated that he was doing God's work.

Around the Network
fordy said:
happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

I don't like them either, but they're infinitesimally rare compared to those who condemn it for religious purposes.  I've never personally met someone who condemned homosexuality that wasn't doing it 'becuase god calls it an abomination'.  

Me either, then again they are rare.

I think Nazist germany included homosexuals in the atrocities of the holocaust though.

Nazism was about German Nationalism, and Hitler's ideal for Germany was a Chriistian society. He even stated that he was doing God's work.

He thought he was a God, that isn't a very Christian concept. Also his genocide of the Jews doesn't ring too well with the Bible, no matter how you slice it.

Can't accept that.

the only reason to disown a son that i find reasonable is him being a multiple murderer, rapist or something like that
this case is beyond my comprenhension

Frozone said:
"In your world, people choose what sex to be attracted to. In your world, it is natural for a father to block all connections with his son because of a supposed decision that won't harm anyone at all. In your world, any father would be ashamed if its offspring was gay."

No people are brought up to be attracted to the opposite sex, it's the normal way of life like being brought up to not cause crime. Of course a father would cut off their son, a son is a fathers pride and joy, you want them to grow up to have a normal life, get married and have kids. Imagine the fathers embarrassment now if his friends find out his son was gay.

No parent wants their offspring to turn out gay.

Are you seriously comparing homosexuality to crime?! You're a goddamned despicable human being. Crime is an act that involves the deprivation or hurtful acts towards others. Homosexuality is an act between two CONSENTING adults. You might not like it, but some do, and they're not hurting you in any way, so live with it.

Oh my god! The father's pride has been tarnished in front of his friends! Quick, we must justify it by cutting off all communication with his flesh and blood and cause years of psychological distress, in order to save the father's pride! Are you really using this an an excuse to justify disownment? Answer me honestly, now...

In a way, I hope you have a son that turns out to be gay. Of couse, I would feel a lot of sympathy towards a kid with such a closed-minded parent, but sometimes the only way to get these ignorants to open their mind is to have something like this happen to them.

KungKras said:
Icy-Zone said:
llewdebkram said:

And a single 3 letter word in that letter is to blame for all that hate and predjudice, the word being...

'GOD'

GOD and the bible is surely responsible for more hate, prejudice, intollerence and evil than anything else EVER in the history of mankind!

http://www.reason4living.com/articles/totw0144.htm

More people have died in the name of atheism than by the name of God. Numbers hardly lie.

The nazis and commies didn't kill in the name of atheism. They killed in the name of Germany (Their ideological vision of it) and in the name of communism.

Grow up and stop spreading misinformation.

Half truth. The Nazis HATED Communists. In fact, they were put into camps along with Jews, Gypsies, Homosexuals, Mentally handicapped, etc. Nazism follows a couple of small traits to communism, but it is far from communism. In fact, Hitler declared both Capitalism and Communism to be too open to corruption by the Jews, so he rejected both.

sales2099 said:
KungKras said:
Marks said:
I wouldn't disown my kid if he was gay, but I certaintly wouldn't be proud of his lifestyle (choice).

People don't choose their sexuality.

This is still an arguable point. Biologically, the male is genetically made to be attracted to the female. So either its a choice, sexual confusion, or its an anomaly, given that the gay population is a vast, vast numerical minority.

Dont take anomaly as a insult, I meant it as a numerical comparison.  

Genetically, we're made to not contain physical defects

Genetically, we're made to have two distinct genders

So what happened? Nature happened, of course. Genetic anomalies are still quite common, especially in a culture of several billion (and more, considering the many thousands being born each day). Anomalies are not just associated with what you see on a person, physically.

Homosexuality became sinful in earlier times because of the widespread fear that it would one day become the majority of choice over heterosexuality. In my belief, that will never be the case. You're either programmed to like the same gender or you're not. If you don't like the same gender in that way, fine. Some do, however..