By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek: ‘Next gen consoles are overdue, tablets catching up’

VG247

Crytek founder Cevat Yerli has explained to VG247 why he feels that the next generation of console hardware is long overdue, and that the rise of advanced tablet devices could start overtaking current hardware if the industry doesn’t take action.

Speaking with VG247, Yerli revealed, “We can’t comment on or even speculate as to when, or if, the next generation will be announced. But we think that it’s time for the next generation and we think that it’s overdue already.”

The Crytek CEO also painted tablet devices as a very real threat to console specs, “The current generations are drying out and the longer we wait for the next generation of consoles, the higher the likelihood that they could fall behind tablets in terms of being the first thing people reach for when the time comes to play games.”

“Tablets are putting pressure on the gaming industry, and taking over in some ways, so that should be kept in mind.”

Around the Network

i'm sorry, until you change your avatar i think i'm going to avoid your threads.

Tablets may catch up in terms of processing power, but they are still lacking in terms of user interfaces and business models.

Well yes. The current consoles are using 7 year old technology and the Wii is even older. The new consoles should be here this year but it might be 2013 or 2014. Which means a lot of pc exclusives.

but WiiU is very early! they should wait a couple more years!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

He's right, the more the general consumer (not game enthusist) uses thier tablet as the go-to for games, the harder it becomes to justify the cost of a new console plus console games. Plus tablets are catching up in power. If they add the ability to use a controller,(easily done), consoles will be in real trouble.

kitler53 said:
i'm sorry, until you change your avatar i think i'm going to avoid your threads.

This.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'm starting to get sick of this :( is just like what happened with the Wii U, every single time someone says something (is Crytek i get it but still) is news. Stoidi.Corp says the tablets are the future, Teg.Inc says the tablets are the future, Siht.FC says the tablets are the future, Elvis Presley says the tablets are the future, Breaking News: the pizza delivery guy says the tablets are the future! Oh my... I hate journalism u_u ^^

These guys obviously want to get a console gaming crash.

I agree...