By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton Talks PS4: “We’ve Never Been First, Never Been Cheapest”

Sal.Paradise said:
Kantor said:
d21lewis said:

Nah.  N64 launched at about $250 and the PS1 was $299 at the time.  Plus PS and Saturn launched for about $400 in the US (I think).  Nintendo was actually kicking all kinds of ass until they started hitting software droughts.  Months would pass without a decent game to play.  The two were so close in sales that Nintendo and Sony both claimed to be the best selling console.  In the end, PS1 pulled away and never looked back, though.

I thought that, at E3 1995 or so, Sega came up on stage, and announced the Saturn for $399, and then Sony walked on, said "$299" and walked off? That's probably just an urban legend, but I think the PS1 launched at $299.

Not an urban legend! Here's the video.

Go to 7:50. 

That was incredible.

Whoever plans Sony's conferences nowadays could learn from that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
spurgeonryan said:
I watched this on G4 I think. Most of what he Said was actually true. They do make quality devices.

Video game store clerks who were going through a PSX display (not demo) unit a month while the Saturn display unit kept on working without problems would disagree.

I also disagree as my DVD in my combo player has to be cleaned after every use to play a movie.  (I have several Sony VCRs and each one is of lower quality than its predecessor).

Mike form Morgantown

durability =/= quality.

`They are refering to the next xbox (the first) and the Wiiu (the cheapest) I think

so true. i hope to get a quality system, with quality games.

Jay520 said:
mike_intellivision said:
spurgeonryan said:
I watched this on G4 I think. Most of what he Said was actually true. They do make quality devices.

Video game store clerks who were going through a PSX display (not demo) unit a month while the Saturn display unit kept on working without problems would disagree.

I also disagree as my DVD in my combo player has to be cleaned after every use to play a movie.  (I have several Sony VCRs and each one is of lower quality than its predecessor).

Mike form Morgantown

durability =/= quality.

From a dictionary definition, this might be true. But if something does not last, or if it starts to act poorly, it will be percevied as being of inferior quality. So the two are connected.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

never been the cheapest,but the most expensive. Maybe the should meet somewere in the middle and have a baby.

d21lewis said:
ZaneWane said:
pretty sure playstation 1 was the cheapest

Saturn launch (1995) $399

Playstation launch (1995) $299

N64 launch (1996) $249

and while were at it,

Dreamcast launch (1999) $199

Playstation 2 launch (2000) $299

Xbox launch (2001) $299

Gamecube launch (2001) $199

On January 23, 2001 a story ran in Nihon Keizai Shimbun that said Sega was going to cease production of the Dreamcast and develop software for other platforms.

So Sony was not only cheapest at the time (1995) with the PSX, but also first  with the PS2 (2000) with viable platforms.

Any rumor, from the cheapest spec to the NASA computer spec are fake, both AMD and Broadband Cell are fake, people should stop talking about stuffs that come from anonymous sources, it'd be better to wait for the official announcement.

pezus said:
foxtail said:
d21lewis said:
ZaneWane said:
pretty sure playstation 1 was the cheapest

Saturn launch (1995) $399

Playstation launch (1995) $299

N64 launch (1996) $249

and while were at it,

Dreamcast launch (1999) $199

Playstation 2 launch (2000) $299

Xbox launch (2001) $299

Gamecube launch (2001) $199

On January 23, 2001 a story ran in Nihon Keizai Shimbun that said Sega was going to cease production of the Dreamcast and develop software for other platforms.

So Sony was not only cheapest at the time (1995) with the PSX, but also first  with the PS2 (2000) with viable platforms.

That's like saying 360 was the most expensive console at the time (2005) and Wii U will be the most expensive console at the time (2012). Not the point Tretton is making...

Not really. The 360 was the start of a new cycle of hardware.  The WiiU is also starting a new cycle (though not in hardware specs alone).  The Saturn, PSX and N64 were all in the same cycle of hardware for that generation of competition. 

Sony also cut the price of the PSX to $199 (USA) in May 1996 months before the N64 came out.

pezus said:

PS2 also started a cycle according to you, because Dreamcast doesn't count.

The Dreamcast was no longer a viable future platform before the Xbox and Gamecube were released was my point.  Sega announced they were no longer supporting the Dreamcast making the PS2 the only console being supported on the market into the future in that hardware cycle.  They weren't first, but of the 3 that lasted the whole generation they were.