By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Max Payne 3 – PC version features ‘four times higher’ quality textures than its console counterpart

Held of purchasing 'till I could check out PC version - if it is truly a solid version then PC will be my platform of choice for this.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
pezus said:
Munkeh111 said:
pezus said:
Snesboy said:
pezus said:
35 GB is a bit of an overkill for such a short game but meh, I have enough disk space anyway.

Yeah, because who doesn't have a terabyte (at least) of hard drive space?

If I get it, I'll be running it at high/max.

Indeedability. I have 5 terabytes at the moment but I need to buy more soon >_>.

It should run at max for me with close to 60FPS if it's not horribly optimized.

Why do you have 5TB!!!!!!

Also, the game has a campaign of over 10 hours, and very very high resolution textures, though as far as I can tell from the PS3 version, no (or at least very few) pre-rendered cut scenes, Max keeps his guns with him in them mostly. I think that is what explains the huge install size. The Xbox version is on 2 DVDs anyway and hopefully this huge size will mean great graphics

Because I buy most of my stuff digitally >_>. It is much cheaper for me that way. I have lots of movies, TV shows and games. Some of it is pirated, I won't lie but I try to buy everything I can access. Sometimes services deliberately go out of their way to block my access to them simply because I live in a different country, so I say screw that.

Still! That is ridiculous! I have around 500GB with quite a lot of games and tv shows, 5TB is huge!

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Even if it was a straight port it would be one of the best looking games on the PC.

You gotta be kidding.

Are you actually saying that a straight port of a game running on 2005 hardware would be one of the best looking games on modern PCs? Really?

Yep.

Shows how little PC gaming has improved this gen. Thanks pirates!

The advances definitely haven't been as dramatic as last generation, but come on, an up-to-date PC smokes PS360 in technical grunt. 5-year-old Crysis maxed out still beats anything on consoles, as do Crysis Warhead and The Witcher 2. Not to mention some of the graphics-enhancing mods available for PC games...

Okay, lets think for a moment.

I said a straight port of Max Payne 3 would be ONE OF THE best looking games on the PC. I didn't say the best, but amongst the best.

If you can only compare Max Payne 3 to the truly best looking games on PC... then I think that means a straight port of Max Payne 3 would still rank high in best looking PC games.

Hence, I win!

I can compare it to all kinds of PC games, not just the best looking, and it would look inferior. A truly "straight port" would mean the game would be limited to the 720p/30fps of consoles. Anyone who games on a high end PC will attest to the advantages of 1080p and higher framerates.

Something tells me this is going to end up being a lot of hype and the end result, will definitely still better than the consoles, will be a little underwhelming.

thismeintiel said:

Something tells me this is going to end up being a lot of hype and the end result, will definitely still better than the consoles, will be a little underwhelming.

All they said was sharper textures. The game already has very nice textures so I don't think its going to make a world of difference.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
pezus said:
Mr Puggsly said:
pezus said:

Do you have a gaming PC? I doubt it, looking at your games collection. Not even Uncharted 3 would be among the best looking PC games as a straight port...

I don't need to own a gaming PC to see a gaming PC at work.

This isn't past gens when PC games looked like they were a generation ahead. The best looking PC games are often console games with more polish.

In the coming years PC games will look significantly better though. Because developers will be working with superior consoles.

You need to get your eyes check if you think 720p/30FPS and weak anti-aliasing looks anywhere close to other recent PC games.

Oh boy, are you serious? When I said straight port I meant no improvments to character models, textures, etc. You have to be the only person that thinks a straight PC port needs to be limited to 720p and 30FPS.

I'm sorry, but you're terrible at this arguing thing. You argue often but rarely if ever make a good point.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Even if it was a straight port it would be one of the best looking games on the PC.

You gotta be kidding.

Are you actually saying that a straight port of a game running on 2005 hardware would be one of the best looking games on modern PCs? Really?

Yep.

Shows how little PC gaming has improved this gen. Thanks pirates!

The advances definitely haven't been as dramatic as last generation, but come on, an up-to-date PC smokes PS360 in technical grunt. 5-year-old Crysis maxed out still beats anything on consoles, as do Crysis Warhead and The Witcher 2. Not to mention some of the graphics-enhancing mods available for PC games...

Okay, lets think for a moment.

I said a straight port of Max Payne 3 would be ONE OF THE best looking games on the PC. I didn't say the best, but amongst the best.

If you can only compare Max Payne 3 to the truly best looking games on PC... then I think that means a straight port of Max Payne 3 would still rank high in best looking PC games.

Hence, I win!

I can compare it to all kinds of PC games, not just the best looking, and it would look inferior. A truly "straight port" would mean the game would be limited to the 720p/30fps of consoles. Anyone who games on a high end PC will attest to the advantages of 1080p and higher framerates.

I spoke too soon. I thought Pezus was the only person that thinks a stright PC port needs to be limited to 720p and 30 FPS.

Personally, I think a straight PC port can allow for those improvments. In my opinion (and anyone logical person should agree), its no longer a straight port if they actually do changes in the game. Such as superior textures, improved character models, etc.

For example, if I'm emulating a N64 game on a PC. I can have smoother frame rates and higher resolutions. But I'm actually playing the same old game with no improvments to the actual game. Understood?

Recently Completed

@mr puggsly

you say pc gaming hasn't improved a lot and then you say "hey if i'm talking about a straight port, i mean with 1080p or even higher and 60fps" this alone shows the huge difference between pc and console,  do you realize the difference between 1080p or 720p for a gpu? (and for a gamer sitting so close in front of a pc-screen to get a great huge picture?). i play pc games on my tv and since i can play them in 1080p, i can sit much closer to the screen, that's a great improvement for me to have a much bigger screen with the same quailty than playing in 720p sitting not so close to the screen which would make the picture much smaller and much less impressive.

with your logic i could say "hey developer make a pc game which only runs in 720p (to make it running on some pc's and not only on 1% of pc's) and then compare a pc game with 720p running on gpu's of the last 2 years with a console game with 720p. but developers don't do it because people want to have 1080p running on their gpu because that's one huge difference for them, playing on that resolution. give a pc gamer max payne 3 for his pc used to play games in 1080p or higher and let him play in 720p on his pc, he will say "omg what the shit is that?" because it will look horrible from that distance.

and i bet max payne will have better aliasing, lighting and so on as well on pc.

so all you said was:

"pc gaming hasn't such a big advantage to console games, the only difference is that there is a big advantage for pc games"

crissindahouse said:

@mr puggsly

you say pc gaming hasn't improved a lot and then you say "hey if i'm talking about a straight port, i mean with 1080p or even higher and 60fps" this alone shows the huge difference between pc and console,  do you realize the difference between 1080p or 720p for a gpu? (and for a gamer sitting so close in front of a pc-screen to get a great huge picture?). i play pc games on my tv and since i can play them in 1080p, i can sit much closer to the screen, that's a great improvement for me to have a much bigger screen with the same quailty than playing in 720p sitting not so close to the screen which would make the picture much smaller and much less impressive.

with your logic i could say "hey developer make a pc game which only runs in 720p (to make it running on some pc's and not only on 1% of pc's) and then compare a pc game with 720p running on gpu's of the last 2 years with a console game with 720p. but developers don't do it because people want to have 1080p running on their gpu because that's one huge difference for them, playing on that resolution. give a pc gamer max payne 3 for his pc used to play games in 1080p or higher and let him play in 720p on his pc, he will say "omg what the shit is that?" because it will look horrible from that distance.

and i bet max payne will have better aliasing, lighting and so on as well on pc.

so all you said was:

"pc gaming hasn't such a big advantage to console games, the only difference is that there is a big advantage for pc games"

This discussion is so stupid. You guys are just reaching. Higher resolution and smoother frame rate should be a given. Since that has pretty much always been an advantage to PC gaming.

When I read Resident Evil 4 for the 360 was a straight port, I didn't feel a need to correct the reviewers about smoother frame rates or the HD resolution. Why would I? Its a given.

In regard to your last comment. You can't deny in past gens PC gaming generally looked a generation ahead. This gen though, the advantage for PC games is polish.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
thismeintiel said:

All they said was sharper textures. The game already has very nice textures so I don't think its going to make a world of difference.

MAX payne 3 has blurry textures, and even the PC screens they have released have blurry textures in spots. They are above average for a console game but that doesn't mean much these days.

as for improvements on PC

What are you doing to take advantage of the powerful hardware available in a PC?

As you can see from the specs list above, we’ve worked hard to make sure the game will run smoothly on a wide range of PC builds. But it’s when you get towards the top end of that range that you can really push a game to its limits, and the game will look and run incredibly on the most advanced current machines around at the moment and well into the near future.

You’ll find that screen resolution is scalable, there’s triple and even sextuple monitor support which helps to run higher screen resolutions, there’s various anti-aliasing options, scalable water quality, scalable shadow quality, increased detail for characters and vehicles and a scalable texture filter that further increases visual quality. We’re also supporting DX11 with Max Payne 3, with features including Hull/Tessellation/Domain Shaders (which adds curvature to the character/vehicle models), Gather4 (for optimized shadow sampling / FXAA), Geometry shader / Stream Output and DX11 texture samplers to name a few.

35GB is a pretty hefty install size, even for a PC title. Why the large size? Are we seeing HD textures or better rendered cutscenes?

Both, and more. As we said earlier, one of the goals with Max Payne 3 on PC was to have a game that runs beautifully out of the box on day one across a wide range of machines. The PC is the only platform where you can really max out the high end if you want to, and we wanted Max Payne 3 on PC to have the potential to look beautiful on the highest possible resolutions on the biggest monitors available - so while we can still scale performance down to suit even reasonably low-end rigs, every asset is available at the highest resolution possible, from audio to video to textures. 

The installed size of Max Payne 3 is due to the no-compromise quality of its assets, which already push console disc space to the limits. A good portion of the extra space requirements on PC can be attributed to the increased size of the textures, which are four times the size of those on consoles. In addition, the audio quality is significantly higher than the consoles due to lower compression rates, which improves audio fidelity. Again, this comes back to the range of possibilities that the PC platform opens up for us. That, combined with higher video settings when running the game, results in substantially better visual quality.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!