By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Still can’t play Diablo 3 (or why I hate PC gaming)

By your logic console gaming is also dead. Both my 360 and PS3 have had problems. My 360 have had RROD twice and my PS3 currently has YLOD and i don't really want to buy a new one (cause 99% of the games i want are for 360 as well). Just because it doesn't work for you, does not mean its the end of the world. The error is also easy to fix, not like you have to you know, buy a new console...

PC gaming has always been healthy, the reason why people are calling it dead is because of piracy. Nobody buys games on PC (unless they are from Blizzard) and even if you do, you usually get to play with cheaters. Thats the power of a open platform. I really like the way Blizzard does things. Problem is that you cant really do that with a 100% single player game, since people would not stand for it.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
You can call it a personal problem with my own PC or whatever, all I know is I've had a hell of time getting it installed and everyone I know in real life has had a hell of a time getting it installed. It is an exaggeration saying every PC game installs like shit, but it's probably not that hard to say every non-Steam PC game is a pain to install and get running well.

It's never fun updating drivers, adding launch parameters, binding keys, finding the correct patch, stopping other programs that interfere with installation, hunting for random fixes, etc. I never have to do any of that with a console and most Steam games, they just work. I pop in my game, automatically download a patch, and go. Part of getting a game to run shouldn't be going on a mystery hunt to find everything that could cause an issue.

As for what I'm running at home, it's a Windows 7 PC but beyond that I forget what's actually in it. I know it has an Intel i7 in it and 8 gigs of ram, but I forget what video card I have (it's a good one though). My laptop is considerably less impressive so I can understand if it can't run the game (though I think it should), whatever, but my PC can run it easily. I know it doesn't have any virus' or malware and except for Diablo III, it runs pretty perfectly. I got a physical copy from a buddy today, lets see if that works!

Also, two more things-- 1) crap, I was going to play today and it's down for maintenance. Yup, I do love my PC gaming where I deal with crap DRM that doesn't let me play single player games.

2) If there are no problems with the installer and it really is just me, why are they releasing a patch to fix network problems for the installer and patcher?

How can you have that many problems? I havn't had trouble installing a game in the last 2 years, trouble activating or patching due to my shitty internet yes but not installing. And I still buy a good number of retail games, there has to be something wrong with your system if you are having constant problems one or two problems I could understand but all non steam games being a pain to install or get running well? That is just crazy.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I tried to have lan a few weeks back with two other people. We spent two hours getting battlefield 3 to work. Turned out that you need to disable forward porting on the router and edit the games registry in windows by mapping a specific but unique port to each pc in a certain port range. Was pretty shocked that it wasn't just plug and play..

But then again, Battlefield 3, when I installed it, didn't even run because I had spybot search and destroy... I actually had to uninstall the problem to get the game to function.. So that game has it's fair share of problems.

Check out my game about moles ^

im getting a new laptop once it comes in the mail, I don't really care if it can run D3, i haven't been very pumped for it at all, as I just looked into pc gaming, but I think my laptop will be able to run most games at decent settings

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

twesterm said:
You can call it a personal problem with my own PC or whatever, all I know is I've had a hell of time getting it installed and everyone I know in real life has had a hell of a time getting it installed. It is an exaggeration saying every PC game installs like shit, but it's probably not that hard to say every non-Steam PC game is a pain to install and get running well.

It's never fun updating drivers, adding launch parameters, binding keys, finding the correct patch, stopping other programs that interfere with installation, hunting for random fixes, etc. I never have to do any of that with a console and most Steam games, they just work. I pop in my game, automatically download a patch, and go. Part of getting a game to run shouldn't be going on a mystery hunt to find everything that could cause an issue.

As for what I'm running at home, it's a Windows 7 PC but beyond that I forget what's actually in it. I know it has an Intel i7 in it and 8 gigs of ram, but I forget what video card I have (it's a good one though). My laptop is considerably less impressive so I can understand if it can't run the game (though I think it should), whatever, but my PC can run it easily. I know it doesn't have any virus' or malware and except for Diablo III, it runs pretty perfectly. I got a physical copy from a buddy today, lets see if that works!

Also, two more things-- 1) crap, I was going to play today and it's down for maintenance. Yup, I do love my PC gaming where I deal with crap DRM that doesn't let me play single player games.

2) If there are no problems with the installer and it really is just me, why are they releasing a patch to fix network problems for the installer and patcher?

I've been playing d3 almost non-stop. Don't know what your problem is

*shrugs*

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
twesterm said:

*shrugs*

you must not have tried on tues/wed when it was down for eight hours. I honestly thought blizzard would have a far better launch for d3 than they did. They were not prepared as they should of been knowing all the pre orders they had. Than an 8 hour maintenace the first week? Not so awesome. Also it apperas others are having his same issue from what I saw when I tried to look for a solution.

thranx said:
theprof00 said:
twesterm said:

*shrugs*

you must not have tried on tues/wed when it was down for eight hours. I honestly thought blizzard would have a far better launch for d3 than they did. They were not prepared as they should of been knowing all the pre orders they had. Than an 8 hour maintenace the first week? Not so awesome. Also it apperas others are having his same issue from what I saw when I tried to look for a solution.

You think there issues now.  Just wait until Blizzard decides to stop hosting the server and suddenly the game everyone "bought" doesn't work.

Kasz216 said:
thranx said:

You think there issues now.  Just wait until Blizzard decides to stop hosting the server and suddenly the game everyone "bought" doesn't work.

You mean in 15 years from now?

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
thranx said:

You mean in 15 years from now?

I'd put it more at 10... but yeah.

I mean, you may be more used to console games, but it's actually not that far fetched for PC game popularity to stretch that long.

Starcraft, Counterstrike, Wolfenstein ET are just a few examples of games still popular today.  You can find the original fallout games on store shelves.

twesterm said:
pezus said:

If you have to go through hoops with most of your PC games, there is something wrong with your computer. That is not normal. I haven't had a problem like that for years. (Or "why PC gaming is king")

If it were just me and one single PC, I would believe you.  But it's not just me, my friends have to go through the same hoops.  It's also just not my PC's or my friends PC's, I run into the same sort of issues with my work PC (while I do know what I'm doing with computers, BS in Computer Science, my work PC is maintained by an IT professional).  Beyond most Steam games, I rarely hear of PC game installation going smoothly.

You rarely hear of PC game installation going smoothly? What age do you live in? I haven't had much trouble with installing games since Windows 98. And I do absolutely all my gaming on the PC, dozens of hours a week and own several hundred games. This is just not a huge, worldwide problem. People who have a lot of PC problems are often ones who don't update and take of their systems or very casual users. I personally don't see any downsides to PC gaming compared to console gaming, does that mean that console gaming isn't alive and kicking?

If you were going to make an argument for PC gaming being broken and use Diablo III as an example, then at least have the courtesy to nag on failing servers and always online single player like everyone else.