By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter Says “Casual Gamers Are Never Buying Consoles Again.”

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:
Pachter is king, and he is again right.

I have been trying to argue this for awhile, namely that MS is making a HUGE mistake by investing in the casual market in next gen (it was already a mistake by MS to so blatantly ignore the hardcore in the last part of this gen as they lost nearly all their reputation of catering to the core gamer within just two years).

It's fact that casuals are easy to lose, that many of them now are on Facebook and smartphones.

PS4 will easily win next gen because they worked hard to strengthen their image of being a gamers console.

it isnt possible to do both?  cater for casual and core?

as for the bolded... do you ever look at the sales of core multiplats?  just wondered....

Not at the same time.

Just look at Microsoft with the Kinect. That took priority over new IP and now we have Microsoft releasing yearly  Halo, Forza and Fable games while Sony is creaitng new IP like The Last of Us and All-Stars and LBP Karting.

As for sales of multiplats, yeah they typically sell better on 360. Why is that? Because of many of these games are aimed at the American market.

But there are exeptions. Look at Assassins Creed. #2 sold better on PS3 and the newer ones are so close in sales that the PS3 version coulc surpass 360 any month now. Also games like Battlefield 3 are really close in sales as well.

Around the Network

Actually MS has already seen the light. MS is not trying to cater to any particular group but instead trying to build a platform to bring content to all the different groups.

People are right that a company cannot split their focus between the casual market and the core so the smart company builds a platform and let it partners do it for them. This is the reason MS does not have a lot of studios and they are investing in their media capabilities and family type of games and devices.

The hardcore will go to the system with the specs and their will be enough games from developers on all levels to keep the core interested.

Its a different strategy from Nintendo and Sony and I believe it has a better chance of success because of new devices like the Ipad and other gaming devices that will split the market.

The reason MS cannot just concentrate on the core is because Sony and Nintendo will do so as well, thus splitting the pie between the three console makers. As a console maker you must have a broader view or the market will pass you by.

Everything that comes out of Pachter's mouth is a joke. While sales of consoles to casual users may decline, it's ridiculous to say that they as a whole will never buy a console again. Mobiles devices are a great way to kill time, but there will always be "friends and family time" on the couch playing consoles. Anyone who says differently is clueless.

After this gen, I've decided I'm really leaning to not buying another console ever again. Between my PC, and ipad, I really don't see a reason to :3

yes and handheld gaming was suppose to be dead to

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

God, I cannot wait for these retarded buzz words "casual" and "hardcore" to go away. I thought they were on their way out already but good ol Patcher keeps on adding fuel to the fire.

It does not matter someone is going to buy for them! Even the casual gamers must have birthdays and anniversaries.

Switch!!!

Squall_Leonhart said:
Are people seriously still listening to this fool...? Its obvious that he knows nothing about the gaming industry yet some idiot keeps paying him and allowing him to act like he has 'inside knowledge' it is so bad its almost laughable

He paying him for saying such things. Behind all he says there are some industry interests and seldom hard facts.