By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Cage: “I don’t like game mechanics” and “you don’t need a gun to be successful”

I agree with his sentiments. If he can manage to make a big budget game with an emotional story like To the moon then please, please do. Exploration, story and dialogue are the most important parts in games for me. Confrontation and action have their place too but it is way out of balance nowadays. I'm tired of kill counts of over 500 or a 1000 by the end of the campaign.

Visual novels, adventure games, heavily story driven games have their place too and are NOT the same as (animated) movies. Exploring a story at your own leisure is completely different then watching it from a predetermined perspective at a predetermined pace.

Around the Network

That is why his game sucks so damn bad. Heavy Rain is just a bad game. Then he comes out and complains people are buying used copies of his cappy ass game. You don't belong in this medium my friend.

@ SvennoJ)

indeed and I don't know why some people seem to be eager to lessen the variety of games.. I can only assume they feel threatened that more games will follow Cage's approach and less games will cater to their own tastes in the future

So many negative people. There are 100's of games every year with guns. What's wrong with a few trying something a little different. I like my modern warfare's and pew pew but as one grows the taste evolves. There is not much for people who don't want to kill everything that moves.

That's cool. There should be a wide spectrum of games. It's good if the gaming industry has titles that range from the emotional stories to straight up action, from casual to hardcore, from completely scripted to the completely open, etc. It's good to have unique titles imo, even if they deviate from the traditional definition of a video game.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:

If by this he means we should have more games like Heavy Rain, then I agree.

I am fine with titles that play out in that style instead of all of my titles being focused on things like gunplay or melee. I actually have a couple of guys at work who don't really game much at all but they absolutely loved Heavy Rain, stating that it was one of the best games they have ever played. Before that they used to play the CSI and NCIS games. These same guys got bored with LA Noire after a while too saying they like the interrogating and some of the chase down sequences, but don't care for all the driving, shooting, etc... They just want to focus on solving the crimes and that is it.

So yeah, while some here may disagree with what he saying, I absolutely agree. There is room for all types of experiences. No need to tie us down to specific styles of gaming.

down to specific styles of gaming... not...

but I think you'd want to limit gaming to well... games.

Something like Heavy Rain fits "interactive movie" far more then "Video game".

Like how a "Choose your own adventure book" isn't ever described as a board game or game... it's an interactive novel.

An interactive novel would still be a 'book' though, right?

In the strictest sense, Heavy Rain is definitely a video game. The game constantly presents you with a series of contextual challenges which progressed the game, saved the player's life, solved mysteries, etc. Heavy Rain is no less of a game than DJ Hero or any other game based on contexts. It's just so fixated on the story that it becomes associated with movies.

This guy is the new Sakaguchi, I want to enjoy a good storytelling that have been missing since the good ole J-rpg's.

kowenicki said:

I don't like this guy....

Very pretentious and nowhere near as good at "story telling" as he thinks he is.

I still don't understand why he doesn't use his real name? Does he think he is a star or something?

I did like that recent tech demo though, quite nicely written - not ground breaking and obviously very short, but nice none the less.  He obviously forgets apects  of the plot when he tries to write anything longer. 

Maybe he should stick to animation short films?  Movies seems to be his real passion.

Pretentious? How so?

I like he concepts of his games though, I mostly think they're similar to adventure games like Dreamfall, and the longest Journey. Just with interactive animation scenes. farenheit was brilliant for the first half... and then...
no comment on heavy rain.

But games of all kinds should exist, as long as it brings people fun and enjoyment, and the developers make money. That's the point right?

pezus said:
Valdney said:
That is why his game sucks so damn bad. Heavy Rain is just a bad game. Then he comes out and complains people are buying used copies of his cappy ass game. You don't belong in this medium my friend.

You're telling that to a guy who made a game that sold 2m+...

A lot of people consider FFXIII trash and it sold 6 million.