By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Cage: “I don’t like game mechanics” and “you don’t need a gun to be successful”

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

You know that some of gaming's biggest classics (MegaMan, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, SMB) are fully linear, right?

You know that you just made an idiotic statement, right?

Mega Man not only allows you the order you play the stages in, but the weapons you earn by defeating bosses can alter the way you tackle these stages. For example, having the Rush Jet gives you the option to bypass an otherwise challenging platforming section.

Castlevania has various subweapons which is once again an interesting choice. Castlevania 2 used a more Metroid-like structure while the third game allowed you to choose your path and consequently your second playable character.

Ninja Gaiden is more linear than the others, but it too has subweapons. It really is the weakest series out of the bunch you named though.

Super Mario Bros. has power-ups, different ways to defeat enemies (jumping on their heads, kicking a Koopa shell into them) as well as pipes and beanstalks that allow you to bypass parts of the stage or entire worlds altogether. Super Mario Bros. 3 gives you even more choices with a myriad of power-ups and plenty of split paths on the world map.

Especially Mega Man and SMB can be replayed over and over, because you have so many options in how you play the games.

I don't enjoy how you mostly look for holes rather than look for the greater meaning. But okay.

I was speaking in terms of linearity in this argument, not about context-driven actions. I was just adressing a point within the bigger picture. I have played all the Castlevania so I know very well castlevania 2 has a huge non-linear world, I was assuming a reader like you would understand rather than try to poke holes, that was not the point of my counter-argument. This is why we all fail here, because we lose the bigger picture in mind constantly, and keep bickering on details or hiccups rather than moving forward, but for the record I was well aware of Castlevania 2. Actually, it's the first video game I personally owned and got it for my birthday, I know very well about it.

If you consider SMB to have high replayability due to warp pipes, that's an issue.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

While they are linear in the sense that there's only one way you can go, you're less limited in the ways you can tackle a certain stage. I think Mega Man is not a very good exemple for linearity since you can choose the order in which you beat the bosses which in turn opens up many variations on how you handle the following stages.

If you take a look at Castlevania which doesn't allow level selection, there's always the variation of how you handle the enemies, obstacles, which sub weapon you choose to carry, when you choose to use it. All of this explains why these games could be replayed many times over even though you always went from point A to point B.

Okay, Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite classic NES games, and it's totally linear, despite some flexibility in going backwards a tad so as to retake your forward run, but that's it.

But I bet each time you replayed it you altered you playstyle, adapted it to avoid taking damage in certain sections, saved your energy for a boss so you can pound him with ninja stars, opted to keep a subweapon because it shot downwards and you knew you'd be dealing with enemies on lower ground later on, etc...

Signature goes here!

I wonder what Mister Cage thinks of WarioWare? The gameplay is ever-changing, and can elicit such emotions as amusement, confusion, frustration and euphoria.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

I like variety, that's why I support devs that do sth different than the majority. Cage is one of few of them who actually has a AA to AAA budget at his disposal so I'm very interested in his comming projects and hope they turn out entertain me well like Heavy Rain did.

Still, I do like many traditional games, so ofc I wouldn't want those to just disappear, but actually there is no doubt in my mind that those will exist as long as games do.

RolStoppable said:

It's just that I tend to lose my cool when somebody talks down on great games in an unjustified manner.

oh, I don't doubt that's true for the Heavy Rain lovers as well, lol

Around the Network

I sort of agree, except on the game mechanics part :|

DKHustlin said:
So why doesn't he just make movies? One huge problem with his idea is having context sensitive actions will make his game as linear as can be because you can only do certain actions in a certain context so there will be no room for any other way to play the game if everyone is gong to play the game the exact same way just make a movie. The beauty of games is having core mechanics because it allows different players to have different play styles and it allows a gradual evolution of the mechanics, which is the while pint of playing a game

Because he wants to do this in games and make things some people love like Heavy Rain.  Quit trying to make people who want to expand the medium move to something else.  

He already made a game with context sensitive actions, and I can tell you right now not everyone played Heavy Rain the same way, hell that was half the fun was asking people how their playthrough ended up.  

And that last bit is the whole point you have in playing a game.  Others might enjoy something like Heavy Rain, as shown by the sales and review scores.  This is the reason I don't agree with you, Cage, or Jaffe.  All seem to have a given assumption on what games are or should be and that there shouldn't be anything that varies from that, while I'd argue that more variety in the medium can only be a good thing.

Llol everyones play through was simply a predetermined path based on whether our not they failed to preform certain actions so its still linear because everyone who got a specific ending got out in tge same way

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

But predetermined in the sense that the game play choices all had to be made in some scripted sequence, as opposed to a game like Mario where the goal is present but the player can choose how to tackle it

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

The man should just take the next step and just produce animated films.

Pixel Art can be fun.