By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Jaffe responds to G4TV’s Twisted Metal review

happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:
EDIT: I just watched the video, and wow, seriously? You're just talking out of our ass. H8rs gunna h8.

lol. Talking out of my ass. It's my opinion from what I saw.

Look, I'm not a dev, I don't know how they could've done it technically. But as a gamer, I see much more drifting, motion blur and just better driving motion. The driving physics just seemed outdated, I know exactly what he meant.

@quickturn. I told you I wasn't concerned with the game mechanics. I was really just looking at the driving physics. Maybe I wasn't being clear. You can now turn taking seriously mode back on.

luvers gonna luv! :B

It's an opinion disguised as fact.

How are you going to agree with review of gameplay by watching a video? On top of that? What in god's name makes you think that it's n64-like? Care to give me some themes or likenesses for comparison? Nobody had the complaint that Twisted metal black on ps2 was n64 like. This game even introduces AIR combat. That's a whole nother frikkin dimension to the game!

Motion Blur? Wow. Coming from a Nintendo fan. Motino Blur makes the game confirmed.
Drifiting? Why the F888 would you want to drift when trying to shoot a machine gun in an arena?
Driving motion? What like one side goes up and down when it turns?

These all sound like things that make sense in a RACING game. Remember, this is an arena. A large one. Where powerups aren't laid out i front of you to drive over, you have to go get them. Why would you want motion blur when you're trying to shoot a sniper at distance? Why would you want motion blur when you then can't see the arena? Drifting makes sense if you're trying to follow someone, but why drift sideways without being able to aim forward? That's like strafing in a cod game without being able to turn your aim. You'd have to wait til the scope reaches the target and then fire, and then continue strafing away.

What you're saying makes no sense for the type of game this is. And that is the whole point of this. This reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. Go watch some Blur gameplay and watch some twisted metal gameplay, and tell me that those "features" would work with twisted metal. Fast forward.. they wouldn't.

The same thing that applies to him applies to you. You don't "get" the game. You're applying the features of basically one genre to another, and asking why it doesn't work. It's like saying that uncharted is outdated because it doesn't resemble CoD. Or that mario is outdated because it doesn't resemble uncharted. Take your pick. It's wrong.

And there is nothing wrong with the g4tv members calling him out on his shit. It's exactly what I would do if someone I was talking to told me that Guitar Hero was an RPG.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:
EDIT: I just watched the video, and wow, seriously? You're just talking out of our ass. H8rs gunna h8.

Look, I'm not a dev, I don't know how they could've done it technically. But as a gamer, I see much more drifting, motion blur and just better driving motion. The driving physics just seemed outdated, I know exactly what he meant.

@quickturn. I told you I wasn't concerned with the game mechanics. I was really just looking at the driving physics. Maybe I wasn't being clear. You can now turn taking seriously mode back on.

I'll just say this on the matter. If the final game is anywhere near what the demo was like, then the game plays like a dream! It's not a racing game, it's vehicular combat and no one does or should expect great graphics from the game. The amount of chaos that takes place in the game is just unmatched imho. the review was full of it. Driving physics are 'perfect' for this type of game. Trust me as I played the demo like CRAZY! Never had a single issue with it, that's how good it was. I'm not sure what the drifting comment meant so I won't address it

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Luckily for us, there will be a lot more reviews of this game. We'll get a better, more rounded idea of whether X-Play knew what they were talking about or if they were just out of touch and don't know what Twisted Metal fans really want or Jaffe is the one who is out of touch and doesn't know what makes a good game these days.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/64114/twisted-metal/review/

Just read the review.  Doesn't seem like anything particularly eyebrow raising, to me. 

theprof00 said:
happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:

It's an opinion disguised as fact.

How are you going to agree with review of gameplay by watching a video? On top of that? What in god's name makes you think that it's n64-like? Care to give me some themes or likenesses for comparison? Nobody had the complaint that Twisted metal black on ps2 was n64 like. This game even introduces AIR combat. That's a whole nother frikkin dimension to the game!

Motion Blur? Wow. Coming from a Nintendo fan. Motino Blur makes the game confirmed.
Drifiting? Why the F888 would you want to drift when trying to shoot a machine gun in an arena?
Driving motion? What like one side goes up and down when it turns?

These all sound like things that make sense in a RACING game. Remember, this is an arena. A large one. Where powerups aren't laid out i front of you to drive over, you have to go get them. Why would you want motion blur when you're trying to shoot a sniper at distance? Why would you want motion blur when you then can't see the arena? Drifting makes sense if you're trying to follow someone, but why drift sideways without being able to aim forward? That's like strafing in a cod game without being able to turn your aim. You'd have to wait til the scope reaches the target and then fire, and then continue strafing away.

What you're saying makes no sense for the type of game this is. And that is the whole point of this. This reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. Go watch some Blur gameplay and watch some twisted metal gameplay, and tell me that those "features" would work with twisted metal. Fast forward.. they wouldn't.

The same thing that applies to him applies to you. You don't "get" the game. You're applying the features of basically one genre to another, and asking why it doesn't work. It's like saying that uncharted is outdated because it doesn't resemble CoD. Or that mario is outdated because it doesn't resemble uncharted. Take your pick. It's wrong.

And there is nothing wrong with the g4tv members calling him out on his shit. It's exactly what I would do if someone I was talking to told me that Guitar Hero was an RPG.

Geez, why are you so defensive?

Look, it's just my opinion. M.U.G.E.N. actually played it and he says it's good. I appreciate that because it's hands on, then again he __________ . (EDIT: Censored due to reuse...)

I understand all your questions and concerns they make sense, but as you know, if you need to get something done, you usually can. Motion blur doesn't need to last forever, due to the power-ups and whatnot it can be tailored for this genre to be shorter. There is motion blur in Mario Kart if I remember correctly (when you use the mushroom). If it worked there, why not in TM? Driving and not being able to shoot forward? When did I ever say that? On the contrary, you want to be able to shoot as you drift, so a turret-like machine would be nice. See, there are ideas. But because for some reason you refuse to see it, you blame me and say I'm talking out of my ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLG22z41IM&feature=relmfu

I don't know what nerve I hit, but it's my opinion. I agree with the reviewer it makes alot of sense to me. If it doesn't to you, as he said, all the power to you. Go and buy it! I wouldn't. As you can see, there are Sony games I am interested in, some I AM NOT. Simple. If the reviewer was not interested, it's his prerogative, and he explained why. You can have counter-points, but they are all theoretical obstacles and constraints, none of which have been tried yet so we can interpret that as lazy creativity, or failed trial and error. Which one it is, we don't know. But we can argue until we're red in the face, one thing is certain is that there are options we just don't know if they were possible or not. I would argue yes, you would no. Let's just leave it at that until we find some actual arguments for them (like the Mario Kart argument above).

And your mario/cod genre crossing argument sucks, because this is a game about cars! Mario Kart is a battle-racing game, yet it does it swell. How is TM an exception, color me purple.

I do get the game, I've played it in the past and it was fun. But that was the past. It seems super outdated given today's physics advancements. You say they don't work with the game's mechanics, I disagree. Granted it doesn't need to be a gross implementation, it can be tailored. But fact remains at 0% implementation the game remains the old physics which are sadly very outdated. You expect more from a modern game.

People talking shit is ok. People talking shit every darn time is not. Last time it was UC. We don't hear it as much from other people because Sony fans (and if your response is any indicator) are much more passionate about their exclusives. Look this is not an insult, it's just my understanding of what I see.

happydolphin said:

Look, it's just my opinion. M.U.G.E.N. actually played it and he says it's good. I appreciate that because it's hands on, then again he loves everything Sony releases so it's hard to take it completely seriously.

what a load of bullshit..I would appreciate if you don't say stupid crap like that please. and did you just compare mario kart to TM? 0_o wtf man..you sure you played the game before? They are NOTHING alike.

and just so I'm clear and since cuz of stupid arguments like these the sony section is deserted on this forum..you are more than welcome to check over at a place like GAF on their impressions on the game. You will find hundreds of opinions there. No one gives a shit about graphics on this game as long as it performs well and it does that amazingly well.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

Geez, why are you so defensive?

Look, it's just my opinion. M.U.G.E.N. actually played it and he says it's good. I appreciate that because it's hands on, then again he loves everything Sony releases so it's hard to take it completely seriously.

I understand all your questions and concerns they make sense, but as you know, if you need to get something done, you usually can. Motion blur doesn't need to last forever, due to the power-ups and whatnot it can be tailored for this genre to be shorter. There is motion blur in Mario Kart if I remember correctly (when you use the mushroom). If it worked there, why not in TM? Driving and not being able to shoot forward? When did I ever say that? On the contrary, you want to be able to shoot as you drift, so a turret-like machine would be nice. See, there are ideas. But because for some reason you refuse to see it, you blame me and say I'm talking out of my ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLG22z41IM&feature=relmfu

I don't know what nerve I hit, but it's my opinion. I agree with the reviewer it makes alot of sense to me. If it doesn't to you, as he said, all the power to you. Go and buy it! I wouldn't. As you can see, there are Sony games I am interested in, some I AM NOT. Simple. If the reviewer was not interested, it's his prerogative, and he explained why. You can have counter-points, but they are all theoretical obstacles and constraints, none of which have been tried yet so we can interpret that as lazy creativity, or failed trial and error. Which one it is, we don't know. But we can argue until we're red in the face, one thing is certain is that there are options we just don't know if they were possible or not. I would argue yes, you would no. Let's just leave it at that until we find some actual arguments for them (like the Mario Kart argument above).

And your mario/cod genre crossing argument sucks, because this is a game about cars! Mario Kart is a battle-racing game, yet it does it swell. How is TM an exception, color me purple.

I do get the game, I've played it in the past and it was fun. But that was the past. It seems super outdated given today's physics advancements. You say they don't work with the game's mechanics, I disagree. Granted it doesn't need to be a gross implementation, it can be tailored. But fact remains at 0% implementation the game remains the old physics which are sadly very outdated. You expect more from a modern game.

People talking shit is ok. People talking shit every fucking time is not. Last time it was UC. We don't hear it as much from other people because Sony fans (and if your response is any indicator) are much more passionate about their exclusives. Look this is not an insult, it's just my understanding of what I see.

It's not defensiveness. I'm pressing you to explain a bit more tangibly to give you a chance to show that you're not just a hater who is agreeing with someone who hates what they hate.

If that's who you wanna be, fine. At least I know where you stand.

Now to answer the rest:
There is a bit of motion blur in the game when you zip fast. It wasn't in the video you watched but there is a bit when you use the bike, and other times, where you get smacked by a big truck, or when you are the big truck you see it a bit.
An auto machine gun tracker? The machine gun is just a little damage that you use in addition to shooting your missiles. You make that auto-targeting, and you might as well remove it. When you are drifting and pointed at 8 other vehicles, it just doesn't make sense what you're saying. How do you pick which one to shoot at in the very short seconds you have actually fucking drifting? What is the point? I don't refuse to see it. I've thought about it, which is again, why I'm pressing you to tell me, because you're showing yourself to be someone who HASN'T thought of it, and is "blindly" agreeing.

"Mario Kart is a battle-racing game, yet it does it swell. How is TM an exception, color me purple."

What was it I said? "This sounds prefect fine for a RACING game, which TM is not". I know there is a racing level, but it's not even racing, it's a stage more akin to a beat-em up where you need to take out each car in order, in order to win. There's a difference.
And yes the game is about cars, but when you're talking RACING along a TRACK with VERY LITTLE OBSTACLES, compared to a giant city arena, where the buildings are destructible, and it isn't "on rails", you can't do the same things.

Your obstinance on this issue is baffling. How do you not see the difference? Blind agreement? I hope not.

"I do get the game, I've played it in the past and it was fun. But that was the past. It seems super outdated given today's physics advancements. You say they don't work with the game's mechanics, I disagree. Granted it doesn't need to be a gross implementation, it can be tailored. But fact remains at 0% implementation the game remains the old physics which are sadly very outdated. You expect more from a modern game."

I'm sorry.

sorry i wasted my time replying to you.

What's wrong with you two? Look, if you think it's a waste of time, man, there's nothing I can do about that. I offered points you don't agree with. I haven't played the game, M.U.G.E.N. has. I'm just gonna drop it because you are bullish, sorry. Have fun petting each other.

pezus said:

Really, seeing a post like this from a gamer that primarily plays on Nintendo consoles (as far as I know) is baffling. Which matters more, fun gameplay or realistic physics?

And motion blur?? What the heck does that improve? Does Mario Kart have advanced physics? No, it doesn't. Is it still great fun? Yes, it is.

Mario Kart, a game that has barely changed in 2 decades, has motion blur > not stale

happydolphin said:
What's wrong with you two? Look, if you think it's a waste of time, man, there's nothing I can do about that. I offered points you don't agree with. I haven't played the game, M.U.G.E.N. has. I'm just gonna drop it because you are bullish, sorry. Have fun petting each other.

No, no, we want you to continue.

We want you to continue to tell us how old the game feels when you haven't played it.

Please go on.

happy, what was your alt again?