By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Naughty Dog co-founder: “We’ve lost millions to Piracy”

Tagged games:

I can quite honestly say, i know so many people who play games and virtually none of them pirate. A few them download old snes, ps1 games but in terms of current generation....none. Of course they loose some money due to piracy but when put it into the context of how much they make, his statement really doesn't draw sympathy from me.

Around the Network
Seece said:
It's likely they lost something, but they can't say millions. Not for sure anyway.

A million... over all there games would probably be pushing it honestly.

It's not like piracy in the first world has ever been that big a deal for consoles.

It's all been in countries where a videogame roughly costs the same as a month's worth of food.

Plus, outside the Uncharted games... which have almost no piracy... what big games did they ever have?

The Crash games, but outside of one of them, all the big ones were on the PS2.... where again, piracy was pretty small in the western world.  What with internet connections still being in the stone ages.

I actually think there are probably very few console games that have lost "millions" of sales... and probably all revolve around Football (Both kinds) and Call of Duty.

Yea digital distribution will indeed fix it, but not next-gen, but the gen after when I would like to imagine more or less every single person in the developed world will have high-quality internet access.

superchunk said:
haxxiy said:
You can't lose what you never owned in first place, so...

God, I hate that rebuttal. Its just stupid, childish, and plainly ignorant of basic logic.

Would 100% of those pirating pay for what they pirate if there were no way to pirate? No, of course not. But, to assume that none would is also just as idiotic.

ANY item being pirated is losing income as a good % of those stealing a copy would have paid for it. There is money lost on the part of the content creators.

I THINK he is referring to the fact that Sony never owned the Crash franchise, not piracy in general, so I would withhold criticism for now...

But yeah, piracy is awful, and it is tricky to get around. If there is actually a way of telling if a game is pirated, then there are some methods that my friend has told me about, whereby the game essentially corrupts or becomes impossible to play if you have pirated, but you of course have to be completely sure that it is not a legitimate copy

I really don't know how the problem can be solved, as any security can ultimately be hacked, so I suppose the only way is by an online connection, but that also drives away legitimate customers AND can probably be got around... I don't think there is any way to avoid it

Kasz216 said:
Seece said:
It's likely they lost something, but they can't say millions. Not for sure anyway.

It's not like piracy in the first world has ever been that big a deal for consoles.

It's all been in countries where a videogame roughly costs the same as a month's worth of food.

Plus, outside the Uncharted games... which have almost no piracy... what big games did they ever have?

The Crash games, but outside of one of them, all the big ones were on the PS2.... where again, piracy was pretty small in the western world.  What with internet connections still being in the stone ages.

Maybe not true. I'm from England, which isn't a third world country, and piracy runs riot on the ds and psp. My friend would copy and sell 360 games with no problem at all (not anymore after MS cracked down on it). On the PS2 piracy ran riot again and I knew a lot of people that owned pirated games. On PS1 piracy was even worse. I probably owned 10 to 15 pirated games (never supported piracy since PS1) and every single friend I knew had it chipped for around 20 quid and brought games for £3.

So yes piracy is a problem. How big? I don't know but from my experiance its been a problem for the last 3 gens.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

I actually think there are probably very few console games that have lost "millions" of sales... and probably all revolve around Football (Both kinds) and Call of Duty.

The first 3 Crash Bandicoot games were huge.

Piracy on the original PlayStation was really huge, it wasn't everyone downloading it was everyone getting it on disc with a chipped console. PlayStation piracy was easy to do and at least in the UK, everyone I know who had a PlayStation had it chipped.

All together, the 3 Crash games were probably pirated way over a Million times. Possibly each.

As for your last statement, a LOT of console games get pirated to this day I'll post links.

http://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/
http://gamepolitics.com/2010/12/29/most-pirated-games-2010
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/31/these-are-the-most-pirated-games-of-2011.aspx

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:

Piracy on the original PlayStation was really huge, it wasn't everyone downloading it was everyone getting it on disc with a chipped console. PlayStation piracy was easy to do and at least in the UK, everyone I know who had a PlayStation had it chipped.

All together, the 3 Crash games were probably pirated way over a Million times. Possibly each.

As for your last statement, a LOT of console games get pirated to this day I'll post links.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/12/31/these-are-the-most-pirated-games-of-2011.aspx

seems like a REALLY specific subjective situation to me.   I could eaisly note that I knew nobody with a chipped PS1.  Or PS2... only piracy ever being chipped Xboxes.

Also... that's not a lot.

It mor or less proves my point. 

The number of copies pirated that would of restulted in actual sales is generally very small and those piracy numbers are actually extremly small compared to other media.

Compare.

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-movies-of-2009-091220/

I lost billions of dollars, too.

Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:

seems like a REALLY specific subjective situation to me.   I could eaisly note that I knew nobody with a chipped PS1.  Or PS2... only piracy ever being chipped Xboxes.

Also... that's not a lot.

It mor or less proves my point. 

The number of copies pirated that would of restulted in actual sales is generally very small and those piracy numbers are actually extremly small compared to other media.

Compare.

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-movies-of-2009-091220/

May have been Popular pirating ps1 in the uk then, Because i knew a lot of people who had chipped ps1's, even the lad up my road sold pirated games at school at the age of 13 aha, Not something i got into though.

It's just an excuse. Sales of all of this media is as high as it has ever been (With increasing costs and a poorer society in general) yet, Piracy is holding them back? Please. It's just an excuse for their shareholders. It's not looking at all of the facts just the selective ones.

Provide intrinsic value to your games and people won't pirate them, I guarantee it. People don't pirate World of Warcraft because there is no point. The value and fun being had on their servers is worth the fee and they don't really nickle and dime you until you get 2 expansions in.

Hell, I own all three Uncharted games. Yet the funniest part about that? I have played the Multiplayer for about an hour tops (On Uncharted 2) and haven't even touched it in the 3rd one yet. My question to Naughty Dog is ... "How many millions have you made off of people like me, who have absolutely no reason to buy their games when I could easily rent it for 5$ and beat it in a week?"

Personally, no game I have ever gone on to play pirated was ever a legitimate consideration of purchase. With the outside possibility of some SNES Rom games that those were pirated more on a sense of never being able to find the game to purchase.

Don't get me started on movies, music. How about they keep their big screen movies, latest albums on lock down so pirated copies don't hit the streets weeks before the public can purchase? That's the biggest crime in all of this, because they can't keep their material on lock down they need to find scape goats.