By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: ‘A lot rests on Vita success’ after tough 2011

Like I've said before their only hope now is the US market, they don't have the games for the Asian market and they've priced themselves out of the EU market so that just leaves the US market.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Xenostar said:
kowenicki said:
osamanobama said:
kowenicki said:
evolution_1ne said:
"House is proud that after years of losses, the PlayStation side of Sony has finally posted a profit,"

"We went through a very tough time in the company in getting to a point of profitability, and I think we're now beginning to enjoy the benefits of that – it gives us some more leeway in being able to look at the future and areas of new investment in terms of new business models and new approaches to gaming - it gives us some more leeway in being able to look at the future and areas of new investment in terms of new business models and new approaches to gaming."

bu bu the price cut wiped out all teh profitz Sony, you have no wiggle room and will discontinue to Vita, don't you know your doomed

The profit they are referring to is for financial year ending March 2011.  The price cut and the horrendous exchange rate issue are since then.

Keep your powder dry if I was you.  Next financials are due beginning of Feb.  The overall Sony Corp financials will for sure look horrible, not sure about Consumer Products and Service (there is no gaming division any more - infact there wasnt in march and the article is making an educated guess), but given the TV write off that division will show big losses too.  So we will never know again... ever probably... if Playstation is profitable or not and by how much.  

source? link? anything?

he specifically said the PlayStation part of the division were making a profit, nothing about in March only.  and we already know the division as a whole is not making profit (because it includes things like the TVs)

and this would make much since if PlayStation wasnt making a profit:  "We went through a very tough time in the company in getting to a point of profitability, and I think we're now beginning to enjoy the benefits of that – it gives us some more leeway in being able to look at the future and areas of new investment in terms of new business models and new approaches to gaming."

I said its an eductated guess and I agree with that educated guess.  It has to be an educated guess as the numbers arent available anywhere... anywhere!  But they ARE specifically talking about FY end 2011, its right there in the article.    Not sure what you want a link or source for... tell me and I will happily oblige.

So you think Andrew house is making an educated guess to weather Playstation is currently profitable?

Of course not... I'm talking about the article which says the Playstation division (which doesnt even exist) was profitable in March 2011.  

Now whats wrong with what else I said in that post and the previous one?

i apologise im clearly missing something, in the OP i only see andrew house talking about playstation being profitiable now no mention of March 2011 whatsoever. 

But i am very tired lol

Claymore said:
Like I've said before their only hope now is the US market, they don't have the games for the Asian market and they've priced themselves out of the EU market so that just leaves the US market.

Still don't get that that people think the price is too high!! For what you get in the system it's cheap. I mean people buy 499€ expensive smartphones so this is half of that price and you get more from it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

kivi95 said:
Claymore said:

Still don't get that that people think the price is too high!! For what you get in the system it's cheap. I mean people buy 499€ expensive smartphones so this is half of that price and you get more from it.

In the UK for the cost of the Vita,game and memory you can buy a 3DS and 5 full price games and still have £20 left over, hell you can nearly buy a PS3 and a 360 for the same price.

Claymore said:

I agree, the biggest misstep was not having at least one major title for the asian market such as a monster hunter.  I know they typically would like the install base to be higher before releasing a title such as this, but the lack of software that appealed to this market was what caused nintendo to get off to such a slow start.  The price certainly doesnt help this fact, it would have been much easier to stomach spending this much on the handheld if there was more compelling software, but hopefully Sony has some tricks up their sleeves and somehow gets capcom to reconsider the exclusive MH4 release which would be huge.  I would be ecstatic if both the 3ds and vita were to be successful right next to each other, Im just fearful of investing too much into the vita and have it lose support because it wasnt successful enough for sony to continue to create software for it.  At least I have my 3ds that is definitely on much more stable ground.  Heres to hopin, ill be pickin one up day one anyways to add my support.  

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

I agree with the effect of price in Europe being bigger then other regions, but don´t underestimate the effect of a complete Fifa game on a handheld in Europe, that is a killer app considering how huge that franchise is and it is actually a game that makes sense to be on a portable machine..

Bigger problem in Americas since there will not be a COD game day 1 on the system from what I understand, still the long term potential is big for the Vita

As for the slow start in Japan, pretty predictable if you understand that an Uncharted game can´t push hardware in there (though I think it was even slower then what I thought it would).

kowenicki said:

Of course not... I'm talking about the article which says the Playstation division (which doesnt even exist) was profitable in March 2011.  

Now whats wrong with what else I said in that post and the previous one?

Internal documents maybe?

I dunno..

Have to say after seeing the Fifa 12 videos i am really psyched for getting it, this entire gen ive only bought 1 football game (Fifa10), now that we have a handheld with 2 analogue sticks it just feels like a perfect fit, cant wait!

d21lewis said:
This is it, Sony fans, right there in black and white. This is the calll to arms. Support the Vita with your wallets.

Yeah, if everybody buys 3 Vitas instead of one everything will be fine!

I might buy one, too... After they eventually lower the price.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

kivi95 said:

Still don't get that that people think the price is too high!! For what you get in the system it's cheap.

It is. They sorta did themselves into a hole on that, though. Selling brand sparking new console at a (hefty) loss.

As soon as they become profitable, they'd cut the price. Rinse. Repeat.

It's gotten to the point that many people simple expect all consoles to be sold at a loss.

If they dare try to sell at profit price, they're a rip off. (i.e. 3DS initial price)