Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita screen uses Samsung AMOLED

Here's one quote from the wikipedia article on AMOLED

"Current demand for AMOLED screens is high and, due to supply shortages of the Samsung-produced displays, certain models of HTC smartphones have been changed to use "Sony's SLCD" displays in the future.[16] Construction of new production facilities in 2011 will increase the production of AMOLED screens to cope with demand.[17]"

The S-LCD is a joint venture between them and Samsung, and manufactures these screens. Ultimately the significance of all this is that Sony is either no longer leading edge or no longer cost-effective enough to be viable for its own cutting-edge Vita.

All this says to me is that Samsung is the company of choice for both affordable and high-quality screens, so much so that for choice of screens Sony will pick Samsung's product over their own.

You guys aren't surprise, but this is definitely news to me. Up until now, I always thought Sony was top dog in this regard.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
Galaki said:

Yup. You figured it out. I spent every waking moment to scour the webz for negative Sony news. I went as far as forcing them to use Samsung tech just so I could make a post about it.

I don't exactly keep tabs on your posting history, but you do seem to post a decent amount of negative Sony news, and troll the PS3 and it's games from time to time.

I hope it's all in good fun, otherwise...I feel bad for you.

I've never noticed Galaki do that.

He does troll the Japanese population though.

top dog for screens overall or for vita? for vita yeah i thoughht they will produce their own even if i knew about the tv screen "problematic" but overall it's over some years now that samsung almost killed his competition with high quality screens in every sector.

crissindahouse said:

top dog for screens overall or for vita? for vita yeah i thoughht they will produce their own even if i knew about the tv screen "problematic" but overall it's over some years now that samsung almost killed his competition with high quality screens in every sector.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that. Last news I heard was that Sony was the one that came up with the initial OLEDs (news from 2 years ago...). That's why I'm personally surprised. Then again, they use their own screens for other applications (I think), so having the screen sub-contracted for the Vita and certain other products, once you're aware that it's the new normal for Sony, isn't all that bad. Glad I'm aware about it now.

Galaki said:
ithis said:
"expected to", that's not exactly confirmation now is it. It has been known that the screen will be OLED, I presumed Sony's own, but maybe cost wise it makes more sense to buy the screens from the mass producer samsung no?

They could reduce the cost at their own pace when it's getting cheaper.

Also, wouldn't it be wise to make your own tech visible, so that they could get some buyers to use their own OLED tech?

as SONY's OLED tech is advanced and very expensive and hasn't reached the proper cost

Samasung's OLED tech is a bit cheap plus its in mass production already.

SONY's better OLED tech will come to makret when it is sheap to make it for bigs screens and so will samsung's better old tech,samsung also has a better OLED tech like SONY in R&d

Around the Network

I have a Super AMOLED screen on my Samsung Focus. This screen is amazing and IMO is one of the coolest features in the Vita. Once they figure out how to make these screens larger they are going to be everywhere.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E