By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

mrstickball said:
spurgeonryan said:
mrstickball said:
foodfather said:
The biggest box office surprise this year for me has to be Fast Five.

On a $125 million budget it grossed $209,837,675 domestic, $400,000,000 international
Worldwide - $609,837,675

The first movie way back in 01 grossed more modestly

Domestic: - $144,533,925. International - $62,750,000
Worldwide: $207,283,925

What I dont understand is how there has been such a boom in the international box office in recent years. Especially a series like Fast & Furious where its taylor made for the american market with the focus on muscle cars and tuning.

The US dollar has taken a nose dive in comparison to other currencies, so movies make more US money. Additionally, you are seeing a few very specific players grow very rapidly economically like China and South Korea which are contributing massive amounts of cash to markets.

For example, Transformers 3 grossed upwards of $150 million USD in China, and $70 million in South Korea. 10 years ago, heck, even 5 years ago these markets were pretty small.

I am always very surprised when I see Chinese numbers! I am happy for them, I hope that video games catch on that well over there! Just think of a system selling a billion systems WW!

They're already that big in China, but they've taken the South Korean model. MMOs and PC games are huge, not consoles.

oh ok, that makes sense, especially since there was a thread not too long ago about chinese prisoners or slaves being forced to play WOW for long periods of time.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

Update!

Mr. Popper penguins
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $67,929,455 37.1%
+ Foreign: $115,000,000 62.9%
= Worldwide: $182,929,455

With a 55 million budget! Not too shabby.

This one was iffy, but has finally done what it needed to. Should push past 80 million by the end in America as well
ZooKeeper
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $79,234,201 50.6%
+ Foreign: $77,500,000 49.4%
= Worldwide: $156,734,201

Finally Cowboys and Aliens as finally at least pushed past its budget, but still has a long ways to go before it makes any money.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $99,290,000 60.1%
+ Foreign: $66,000,000 39.9%
= Worldwide: $165,290,000
On a 163 million budget!

Until next time!

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

My prediction: Conan the Barbarian will never make a profit, not unless it makes cultish "so bad it's good" status. Unfortunately I don't think it's in that league.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
My prediction: Conan the Barbarian will never make a profit, not unless it makes cultish "so bad it's good" status. Unfortunately I don't think it's in that league.

I think they put too much money into it for it to make that status. I do not know what LGF was thinking when they made the budget for it, other thanmaybe they thought they would catch the 300 crowd?

spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:

I think they put too much money into it for it to make that status. I do not know what LGF was thinking when they made the budget for it, other thanmaybe they thought they would catch the 300 crowd?

I think you're right. But so bad it's good is their only chance to minimise their losses. Big budget looks can still be "saved" by poor acting and a cheesy script. But I know I'll never watch it.

See, what Conan did wrong Season of the Witch did right, still rather a crap movie but: $40 million budget $90 million box office. That means with DVD sales and rentals the movie will make the studio a small profit.

And another Nick Cage shitfest (and ruination of one pf my favourite super heroes) also did well enough for them to piss on the shitfest they made by making a sequel: Ghost Rider. It had a really big budget ($110 million) but the non-US box office made sure it reached profit (with DVD sales and rental).

The Help by contrast with $25 million budget and $162 million box office, and bugger all marketing budget AFAIK is an absolute gold mine. ANd I'm really glad that kmovie has done well. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I was glad to see Paul make it's money back. I wanted to see it at the theatre but never got the time and it had a fairly short theatrical run here.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:

I think you're right. But so bad it's good is their only chance to minimise their losses. Big budget looks can still be "saved" by poor acting and a cheesy script. But I know I'll never watch it.

See, what Conan did wrong Season of the Witch did right, still rather a crap movie but: $40 million budget $90 million box office. That means with DVD sales and rentals the movie will make the studio a small profit.

And another Nick Cage shitfest (and ruination of one pf my favourite super heroes) also did well enough for them to piss on the shitfest they made by making a sequel: Ghost Rider. It had a really big budget ($110 million) but the non-US box office made sure it reached profit (with DVD sales and rental).

The Help by contrast with $25 million budget and $162 million box office, and bugger all marketing budget AFAIK is an absolute gold mine. ANd I'm really glad that kmovie has done well. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I was glad to see Paul make it's money back. I wanted to see it at the theatre but never got the time and it had a fairly short theatrical run here.

Even if I illegally downloaded conan for free I probably would not watch it. I used to be into watching mediocre movies but not anymore.

The help wasnt a surprise, but after its first weekend turning into this eventually it is now a surprise to me!

Paul I was waiting and hoping it would finally make profit. I dont think it broke technically even here in America, but it did well enough over seas to do well. Ofcourse for me it is an overseas movie so I guess that was the point.

It will be interesting to see if Moneyball can have any sort of hold, since baseball wont get much money other than from latin america I think? But Mexico and Brazil have become big players in the international box off ice so maybe that will be enough for that movie.

It's amazing how well the Saw films did. Every one of them made a huge profit, despite mostly negative reviews from critics.

Saw:
Budget: $1.2 million
Box office: $102 million.

Saw II:
Budget: $4 million
Box office: $147.7 million

Saw III
Budget: $10 million
Box office: $164.8 million

Saw IV
Box office: $139 million

Saw V
Budget: $10.8 million
Box office: $113.8 million

Saw VI
Budget: $11 million
Box Office: $68.2 million

Saw 3D
Budget: $17 million
Box Office: $136.1 million

Thats $858 million at the box office for the series. Then there's comic books, toys, video games, amusement park rides, clothing, and the soundtracks.

Very impressive. Makes you wonder what they could have done had the story/direction of the films actually made some sense.

Dallinor said:
It's amazing how well the Saw films did. Every one of them made a huge profit, despite mostly negative reviews from critics.

Saw:
Budget: $1.2 million
Box office: $102 million.

Saw II:
Budget: $4 million
Box office: $147.7 million

Saw III
Box office: $164.8 million

Saw IV
Box office: $139 million

Saw V
Budget: $10.8 million
Box office: $113.8 million

Saw VI
Budget: $11 million
Box Office: $68.2 million

Saw 3D
Budget: $17 million
Box Office: $136.1 million

Thats $858 million at the box office for the series. Then there's comic books, toys, video games, amusement park rides, clothing, and the soundtracks.

Very impressive. Makes you wonder what they could have done had the story/direction of the films actually made some sense.

Even the last two that everyone said were mediocre still made bank! I think people these days, well for us americans , think that if it fails here then it was no good, but movies these days still get a big chunk from Americans, but international is huge!

Sanctum

Domestic Total Gross: $23,209,310
Distributor: Universal Release Date: February 4, 2011
Genre: Thriller Runtime: 1 hrs. 43 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $30 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $23,209,310 22.7%
+ Foreign: $79,204,105 77.3%
= Worldwide: $102,413,415

That movie did well!

Just hit Japan this past week. So it has some more to go and that is just at the boxoffice!

spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:

Even if I illegally downloaded conan for free I probably would not watch it. I used to be into watching mediocre movies but not anymore.

The help wasnt a surprise, but after its first weekend turning into this eventually it is now a surprise to me!

Paul I was waiting and hoping it would finally make profit. I dont think it broke technically even here in America, but it did well enough over seas to do well. Ofcourse for me it is an overseas movie so I guess that was the point.

It will be interesting to see if Moneyball can have any sort of hold, since baseball wont get much money other than from latin america I think? But Mexico and Brazil have become big players in the international box off ice so maybe that will be enough for that movie.

Quite funny really about baseball movies. I'm no fan of baseball but I've watched plenty of baseball movies. From the Bad News Bears to Bull Durham. Moneyball sounds great. Getting great reviews and I have a mancrush on Brad Pitt.

Jimi Hendrix