By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

spurgeonryan said:
Today's movie is Abduction with Taylor Lautner.
Production Budget: $35 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $19,840,455 51.0%
+ Foreign: $19,100,000 49.0%
= Worldwide: $38,940,455

It still has a long way to go in Others so this movie will do just fine for this kid.

I don't think so. It won't break even from box office receipts (taking onto account marketing and distribution costs). DVD sales and rentals will put it over the line, just.  They were wise indeed not to spend big $$ on its production. If they had spent $60 million (which is still not huge) they would have ended up majorly in the red.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:

Total Lifetime Grosses

It still has a long way to go in Others so this movie will do just fine for this kid.

I don't think so. It won't break even from box office receipts (taking onto account marketing and distribution costs). DVD sales and rentals will put it over the line, just.  They were wise indeed not to spend big $$ on its production. If they had spent $60 million (which is still not huge) they would have ended up majorly in the red.

You do not think that people overseas will push this much higher? Taylor Lautner is big because of twilight.  There was not much spent on production I dont think, because I only saw trailers online. Still  if it cost 35 million to make, then they will only need about 52 million to break even with the budget. Boxofficemojo says  studios make back 55 percent from theater tickets. That is where the 52 million came from. I am guessing no more than 10-20 million for production. Can it push out 62-72 million WW? I do agree that Blue Ray, DVD, etc will push it over the mark easily like you said.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

spurgeonryan said:
binary solo said:
spurgeonryan said:

Total Lifetime Grosses

You do not think that people overseas will push this much higher? Taylor Lautner is big because of twilight.  There was not much spent on production I dont think, because I only saw trailers online. Still  if it cost 35 million to make, then they will only need about 52 million to break even with the budget. Boxofficemojo says  studios make back 55 percent from theater tickets. That is where the 52 million came from. I am guessing no more than 10-20 million for production. Can it push out 62-72 million WW? I do agree that Blue Ray, DVD, etc will push it over the mark easily like you said.

Well if you're looking for the Twihard effect Twilight made 57% of it's gross outside the USA. So if $19.84 mill = 43% then non-US gross should be about $26 millon for a WW lifetime gross of around $45 million. It'll be close but I don't think it'll make it. The Twihard effect is the only reason it got above $10 million in the USA to start with.

Went to see The Guard the other night. Really goood movie.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $4,646,796    35.1%
Foreign:  $8,583,024    64.9%
Worldwide:  $13,229,820  

Production Budget: $6 million

That's made profit already. But it deserves much better box office takings than that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The Thing (2012)

Budget $38 million
Box office $3,600,000

So we can say close to 10 million for the weekend!

For once Universal made a good decision and kept the cost low!

Depending on if this can push out to 20-25 million in the States, WW should be good for this movie.

Real Steel on the other hand, worries me. How is it getting its ass kicked by footloose?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

You should add the Lord of the Rings movies.

Around the Network

Has TDK been added??

pezus said:
Has TDK been added??

First I would like to say that Tower Heist has a good chance of breaking even in America alone.

Domestic:  $28,890,505    75.3%  
Foreign:  $9,500,000    24.7%  
Worldwide:  $38,390,505    

No the film cost 75 million to make for some reason. But overseas has not even been hit with it yet, and they are already at almost 10 million.

The Dark Knight

Domestic:  $533,345,358    53.2%  
Foreign:  $468,576,467    46.8%  
Worldwide:  $1,001,921,825    

Cost 185 million to develop, and we can add a good amount of advertisement to it as well! Lets say 150 million is the usual for this type of movie. Studios get 55 percent of tickets sales back in revenue and movie theaters keep the rest.

US DVD Sales: $255,927,449

So as you can see TDK made bank!

Yo_John...The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

I think the number everyone always went with was that it cost 300 million to develop, plus 300 million to produce. Here is the first one in sales.

Worldwide:  $870,761,744  

Second one.

Worldwide:  $925,282,504  

3rd one.

Worldwide:  $1,119,110,941

Now Boxofficemojo has them all at around 93.5 million a piece in budget, so take that as you will.

The first one had an advertising budget of 40 million!

14 million is how many copies it sold on DVD up to 2003. With Blueray and special editions this is considerably more now!

The second LotR had about as many dvd sales, but cost 50 million to advertise.

Lastly the final LotR cost about 91 million to market total! Including DVD Marketing. It sold a few million more though.

This is what I found on the next movies coming out.If the 270 million is for each individually or both I do not know.

12/31/2012 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - - - $270,000,000
12/13/2013 The Hobbit: There and Back Again - - - $270,000,000

Immortals

Production Budget: $75 million
Domestic: $37,276,249 49.5%
+ Foreign: $38,000,000 50.5%
= Worldwide: $75,276,249

This movie has done very well world wide over this passed week! With the new Twilight movie coming out though it will struggle to make too much of profit. There should be no problem though.
+ Foreign: $2,700,000 8.7%
= Worldwide: $30,889,802

Usually Adam Sandler movies cost about 80 million to make, but one million dollars matters little. Expect big things from this movie over the next month. Even with it's big drop this weekend it should still do fine.
Not sure this movie is going to have too much of an appeal overseas. Although Judi Dench is in it so maybe the British crowd will be sort of interested. With out even mediocre overseas numbers though this movie could struggle. Even with the eventual DVD/blueray release.
+ Foreign: $48,100,000 30.3%
= Worldwide: $158,885,950

Does anything need to be said about this movie? It really was a big surprise that it did this well. I enjoyed it for a non-stop dancing and singing kids movie. Leche anyone?

That is all for now, not much interest so I will continue to post every once in a while.

Inmmortals total budget is 140m with marketing. I think you are leaving out marketing budget which usually is around the same as production budget.

shanbcn said:
Inmmortals total budget is 140m with marketing. I think you are leaving out marketing budget which usually is around the same as production budget.

How I do it is by assuming each studio makes about 55 percent back from theater ticket sales. If it is an older movie I will even go and find out what the DVD sales are. Sometimes you can find the marketing budget and sometimes you cannot. I usually just go with 100 million for movies that cost over 100 million to make, and below that it is hard to decide on. I know a lot of recent movies have been costing 35-65 million to produce. I do not remember which ones I saw that were like that, but it was a good amount. Boxofficemojo has a spot that says total budget, but, I have not been able to find it yet.

Looking at Immortals take overseas I think it will do quite well over there, and it should have a ways to go in America as well. so if 140 million is all it needs to just break even it should not have a problem.

What do you think? Bomb or minor hit? Or big hit for that matter.