By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that have made a Profit and Movies that do Not> THREAD.Evil Dead series and the Star Trek Movies:

Tagged games:

spurgeonryan said:
Sanctum

Domestic Total Gross: $23,209,310
Distributor: Universal Release Date: February 4, 2011
Genre: Thriller Runtime: 1 hrs. 43 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $30 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $23,209,310 22.7%
+ Foreign: $79,204,105 77.3%
= Worldwide: $102,413,415

That movie did well!

Just hit Japan this past week. So it has some more to go and that is just at the boxoffice!

Huh. I thought it was rather predictable and quite ordinary. You knew right from the start who was going to die, and more or less in what order, and who would be the sole survivor. I think the James Cameron name drop as producer was all that really got people along to this movie. Glad I only saw it on DVD.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I'm sure some will gripe about this, but Sherwood pictures have made huge bank. They're a Christian film company known for movies like Fireproof and Facing the Giants.

Courageous just came out this weekend - it grossed $8.8 million USD on a $2 million USD budget... From just 1,100 theaters.

Their last movie, Fireproof, cost just $500,000 to make and grossed $33 million USD. That didn't include their book study series that went along with the movie which likely pulled in as much as the box-office run.. Its FIRST WEEK at DVD sold over 500,000 units, en-route to 2 million units sold on DVD.

The first 'big' picture, Facing the Giants cost just $100,000 USD to make and grossed $10 million at the box office, and sold over 1 million units on DVD (about $20m in gross revenues).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
I'm sure some will gripe about this, but Sherwood pictures have made huge bank. They're a Christian film company known for movies like Fireproof and Facing the Giants.

Courageous just came out this weekend - it grossed $8.8 million USD on a $2 million USD budget... From just 1,100 theaters.

Their last movie, Fireproof, cost just $500,000 to make and grossed $33 million USD. That didn't include their book study series that went along with the movie which likely pulled in as much as the box-office run.. Its FIRST WEEK at DVD sold over 500,000 units, en-route to 2 million units sold on DVD.

The first 'big' picture, Facing the Giants cost just $100,000 USD to make and grossed $10 million at the box office, and sold over 1 million units on DVD (about $20m in gross revenues).

I do agree! Concur?  Fireproof was the big one, for the 500,000 you talked about it made a huge sum of money! Christian based movies usually have a long shelf life as well so all these movies will continue to do well over the long haul as well!

@binary solo         I thought Cameron was the director . That was the only reason I wanted to see it. And still I have only watched the first 30 minutes of it. The guy jumping into the hole was cool though at the beginning.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Today's movie is Abduction with Taylor Lautner.
Production Budget: $35 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $19,840,455 51.0%
+ Foreign: $19,100,000 49.0%
= Worldwide: $38,940,455

It still has a long way to go in Others so this movie will do just fine for this kid.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I am such a huge fan of watching movies and downloading. Now there would be lots of like me. If any good movie comes people latches on it. Then such movies make profit. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is one of those.

Around the Network

I am such a huge fan of watching movies and downloading. Now there would be lots of like me. If any good movie comes people latches on it. Then such movies make profit. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is one of those.

jassmine12 said:

That is very interesting! Harry Potter made money. Hmmm....

Real Steel cost Disney 110 million to dev.

If it can push out 35 million this holiday weekend it should have a good chance of making it at least to the 110 million mark in America and Canada alone. What do you think?

Contagion is another mediocre sized push from Matt Damon. Hey at least he is consistent with his movies making money!

The Ides of March only cost 20 million (The American cost 20 million as well for George), as with most movies these days filmed in America they will get some tax rebate incentives as well for this movie. 20 million should be no problem in America, but will it do good overseas?

Money ball: will pass the mark easily in America which is 50 million. The problem is will any other country other than Japan and Latin America bite as well?

50/50 was made for 8 million. Summit needed a small hit, and this will do that in america alone with over 13 million so far.

Courageous from Tristar is nice for them since there last movie did not do as well as they hoped. This one cost 2 million and has more than quintrupled(tripled?) its money.

Dream House with Daniel Craig , this is the one I have been waiting for. Does Universal not know how to budget movies!!! They probably mess up movies budgets 9 out of 10 times a year! 50 million for this! It will be luck to get 18-20 million from Americans. Not much hope for this for a few years at least.

Everything else has been touched on in recent updates. See you all on the chartz!

Its amazing that Dream House cost $50 million to make.

Horror/thriller movies are NOT what you want to spend major coin on... Not for the dime-a-dozen types like Dream House. Insidious is the best model you can use: Substance and writing over actors and location. Arguably the most profitable post-Saw, post-Paranormal Activity horror movie in awhile.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Its amazing that Dream House cost $50 million to make.

Horror/thriller movies are NOT what you want to spend major coin on... Not for the dime-a-dozen types like Dream House. Insidious is the best model you can use: Substance and writing over actors and location. Arguably the most profitable post-Saw, post-Paranormal Activity horror movie in awhile.

Universal has a way of doing this with their movies. I do not know why . Or who it is that makes these decisions! So many movies that they just push through with out a care! The new fast and furious movie the first movie from them in a while that cost a regular amount to dev.