By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft “Unapologetic” About Going After Casual Audience, Aiming To Be #1 WW This YR

There are sad people out there who think the should get an apology?

Around the Network

Good for MS. They shouldn't have to take shit from stubborn "Core" gamers because they want to target a broader audience. They are right about the whole casual's become core gamers thing because didn't we all start out as a casual gamers? As long as we continue to see core games for kinect or a controller I'm happy.

BenVTrigger said:
They shouldn't be apologetic about it that's rediculous.

Should a movie director who usually makes R rated movies feel apologetic if he decides he wants to make a couple PG movies so more people can experience them? No. And neither should MS for trying to expand its audience.

The whole thought process of "Oh they are trying to appeal to everyone so we should gang up and trash on them." is borderline just plain stupid. I find it hilarious no one complains about the movie industry being "casual" when its filled with PG movies and romantic comedies and such and yet try to trash on Nintendo and MS just because they decide that's what is actually HEALTHY for the industry is to have experiences for everyone.

Well Pixar and most PG movies are of great quality. Adults and kids a like can pull entertainment. When the quality is good no one hates them, its when movies suck (most romantic comedies) they get torn apart, not sure why you said no one complains about romantic comedies, its very rare they are recepted well. Its a quality issue not a label issue. Same with Kinect. Its a lot harder for videogames to appeal to broad audiences though, no doubt about it. People label brain training as casual, but it offers quality entertainment to a lot of people so its successful. I think people are worried that the "casual" focus isnt going to lead to quality. Thats all.

Why would they apologize as there goal is the same as any other company which is to make profit? That said it does not mean I have to like the direction they have made and so I will support the company that makes the most games I enjoy as I always have. When Microsoft makes their occasional game I want to play I will buy from them.

Why should they be sorry?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Back2TheFuture said:
microsoft are going to have to pull something out right now there in 3rd place this year and with a ps3 price cut incomming its going to be difficult and are they going after nintendo now??? goodluck :)

Nintendo is only up because of a recent price cut, before that it was 3rd worldwide for the year. The PS3 is arguably only above the 360 because it ships to many more markets in the EMEAA/Others category.

MS is in a position to drastically cut the prices (more than Sony can) and still remain profitable on hardware sold. Sony is not very far ahead for the year so MS has a really good shot at this.

MS has space for a drastic cut but they won't and don't have to cut that much

they will cut everything by only $50

don't know about where ninty will be after PS3 and 360 cuts

PS3 cut will have most effect though

Well to be fair, the HD consoles are over the hill, and seeing their end of days. Not too many console pushing exclusives coming out that aren't sequels. 3rd party games are leading HD software sales (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, etc). So changing focus now, although late, could add some artificial life to the 360 lineup. However Kinect should be cheaper, and they should still make at least 1 new core IP.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

BenVTrigger said:
They shouldn't be apologetic about it that's rediculous.

Should a movie director who usually makes R rated movies feel apologetic if he decides he wants to make a couple PG movies so more people can experience them? No. And neither should MS for trying to expand its audience.

The whole thought process of "Oh they are trying to appeal to everyone so we should gang up and trash on them." is borderline just plain stupid. I find it hilarious no one complains about the movie industry being "casual" when its filled with PG movies and romantic comedies and such and yet try to trash on Nintendo and MS just because they decide that's what is actually HEALTHY for the industry is to have experiences for everyone.

Not sure how 1 core game every so often and 100 shitty casual games every month count as experiences for everyone.

nightsurge said:
Back2TheFuture said:
microsoft are going to have to pull something out right now there in 3rd place this year and with a ps3 price cut incomming its going to be difficult and are they going after nintendo now??? goodluck :)

MS is in a position to drastically cut the prices (more than Sony can) and still remain profitable on hardware sold. Sony is not very far ahead for the year so MS has a really good shot at this.

First off, I don't understand where people obtain this knowledge that they supposedly have on whether or not a company can or cannot afford a certain price cut and remain profitable.  Could you provide a link on how much Microsoft is making per console?  I personally have no clue whether or not Microsoft can or can't afford a $25, $50, $75, or $100 price cut, nor any price cut that Sony can afford.  I have absolutely no clue, and I highly doubt you do either.

Secondly, what exactly do you mean they can cut more than Sony can.  Sony will very likely be cutting $50 from their price in the near future.  Do you really think they are going to cut $75, or possibly even $100 from the console price?  I think you are crazy.  A $100 cut probably wouldn't even be that much more effective than a $50 cut would be.  Not to mention, a $50 cut now could allow for another potential cut in, say, a years time from now.  The overall boost from 2 smaller cuts split up by a year would probably be more significant than one large price cut.

Third, did you even look at the numbers for how far ahead Sony is this year?  Sony is up over 700,000 units over the 360.  The 360 would have to outsell the PS3 every single week for the rest of the year by 27,000 units.  If our current trend continues for even 5 more weeks (PS3 outselling 360 by ~15,000 per week), the 360 would then have to outsell the PS3 every single week by 37,000 units.  IF our trends continued for 10 weeks, the 360 would have to outsell the PS3 by over 53,000 each week.  I'm not saying any of these will happen, I'm just saying, that the lead is bigger than it may seem, and with the current trends, I REALLY don't see a change drastic enough to change this.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

gaming has evolved beyond the core, plain and simple.

those who only want games to cater to them and them only: deal with it and stop being so selfish.

If MS wants to be #1 sold this year, at least over ps3, drop the price of kinect to $99 and also drop the console price

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.