By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft “Unapologetic” About Going After Casual Audience, Aiming To Be #1 WW This YR

Microsoft are “unapologetic about the fact we want to appeal” to casual gamers – because Kinect  ”put a huge shot of adrenaline” into their quest to make Xbox 360 No. 1 worldwide.

Microsoft are “on a journey for growth” in 2011 to take Xbox 360 to No. 1 status worldwide within a year – and they aren’t going to apologise about focusing on Kinect and a wider, more casual audience to do it.

Christopher Lewis, Xbox EMEA Vice President, said: “Xbox is defying the normal curve you might expect. There’s no doubt that Kinect put a huge shot of adrenaline into the arm of the business. What we are now seeing is massive swathes of families and younger audiences flocking to it.”

“I think we are on a journey for growth and we are unapologetic about the fact we want to appeal to those audiences [family and children],” he continued.

However, he does believe that the casual audience can grow to enjoy traditional hardcore Xbox 360 experiences – and vice-versa: “We are seeing people come to Xbox now because of the new user interface or Kinect. But once they are into the Xbox world they are finding they like the core games as well. That healthy cross-pollination is giving us this growth.”

“We were deliberate about the fact that the first Kinect experiences were focused on the family and younger audiences,” Lewis told MCV, but it was still important to find a way to marry the motion controller with the traditional gamer, just not in a “contrived” way.

“What you will see is us using Kinect to enhance the experience and not detract from it. I don’t think our core gamers will tolerate anything else from us.”

http://beefjack.com/news/microsoft-unapologetic-about-going-after-casual-audience-xbox-vp/

Play Me

Around the Network

“We are seeing people come to Xbox now because of the new user interface or Kinect. But once they are into the Xbox world they are finding they like the core games as well. That healthy cross-pollination is giving us this growth.”

Silly MS. Casual gamers don't go on to buy core games, they destroy core gaming ;)

They seem to be learning from the blunders that Nintendo made this generation. They do not want the technology to be divisive, and they do not want the technology to undermine any playing segment. This is why they are looking for ways to incorporate use of the device into their core demographic. Rather then building a demographic around the device. Bottom line don't expect Microsoft to do what Nintendo did to their core demographic. Seemingly the fears are unfounded.

microsoft are going to have to pull something out right now there in 3rd place this year and with a ps3 price cut incomming its going to be difficult and are they going after nintendo now??? goodluck :)

Back2TheFuture said:
microsoft are going to have to pull something out right now there in 3rd place this year and with a ps3 price cut incomming its going to be difficult and are they going after nintendo now??? goodluck :)

Nintendo is only up because of a recent price cut, before that it was 3rd worldwide for the year. The PS3 is arguably only above the 360 because it ships to many more markets in the EMEAA/Others category.

MS is in a position to drastically cut the prices (more than Sony can) and still remain profitable on hardware sold. Sony is not very far ahead for the year so MS has a really good shot at this.

Around the Network

There is no reason for them to be sorry for the direction that they have taken. Its prolonged their life in this gen. Without Kinect they probably would have continued sinking and it would have forced their hand to rush out a new console.

Microsoft is doing 2 halo games plus a possible gears prequel , i think the real casual problem is games with mechanics like auto aiming or auto what ever , Now thats a real casual crap thats is getting into core games .
i dont care if is MS is using more money in selling kinect cos some core games are getting extremely easy and casual. .

well excuse me but if there is someone to blame for games being casual in core.... and too easy you go talk to Sony and there PS1/2.... that stuff has been going on since then pretty much.... the new medium is the old easy, the new hard is the old medium etc.....

I think their approach is the logical one.... on top of it you have Xmas coming very fast..... core gamers already have a 360.... they have to push kinect bundles on casuals to make money.... and honnestly when you look at the next 12 month of release we know of....it is not that bad for hardcore gamers... I know I won't have the money to buy everything day one on my side... I don't know about you..... and we surely don't know what else is coming and the hidden gems too

and I'd like to know how many of the people that bitch against kinect or casual gaming are in a relashionship or married????
cause for me kinect was a blessing.... now my partner plays way more XB than she ever did... bitches way less than before when I decide to play HARDCORE games.... and invites a bunch of her hot chick friends to play with us regularly and they all love it..... so tell me what you think is bad in that and bad for the future of gaming.... I can now play like before.... with less bitchin.... and more shared play time and in a sexy environement.... to me it's a win win situation....

They shouldn't be apologetic about it that's rediculous.

Should a movie director who usually makes R rated movies feel apologetic if he decides he wants to make a couple PG movies so more people can experience them? No. And neither should MS for trying to expand its audience.

The whole thought process of "Oh they are trying to appeal to everyone so we should gang up and trash on them." is borderline just plain stupid. I find it hilarious no one complains about the movie industry being "casual" when its filled with PG movies and romantic comedies and such and yet try to trash on Nintendo and MS just because they decide that's what is actually HEALTHY for the industry is to have experiences for everyone.

There is no company thats totally core now , just cos PS3 didn't succeed with the move doesn't mean that they dont want casual audience