By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - There are 2.2 Million PSN Member’s Credit Card Details up for Sale

Euphoria14 said:

Let us just assume for a moment that this is true.

My debit card info was on my PSN account. Now if I contact my bank and get a new card, I am totally in the clear from this mess?

Part of it. You accounts are good to go and they cant access your money. But you may still have your personal info out there that can be used to steal your identity (open up credit lines under your name). Its the second part that makes this so bad as the reprocusions from identity theft take longer to emerge and are much more costly to individuals

Edit: Yea what wargram said, to steal your identity people may try further phishing techniques. Just do not give out any personal info over the net to anybody, especially shady emails.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
radishhead said:

This is definitely not true.

How do you know its not true?

said it has the CCV which Sony has specifically said they never ask for and do not have.

Credit Card numbers are encrypted so even if they have them they aren't useful

and finally Sony has evidence that someone got into the server with the personal information but not the one with the credit card information.

basically all signs point to this being false.

thranx said:

I didn't know MSNBC was part of the rumur mill guys. Come on now, that is a major news source and this should be posted for peoples general info. I would understand if it was some no name site, but MSNBC is a news source.

Isnt MSNBC owned by Microsoft?

Euphoria14 said:

Let us just assume for a moment that this is true.

My debit card info was on my PSN account. Now if I contact my bank and get a new card, I am totally in the clear from this mess?

Yes,  the old number would be canceled and couldnt be used

Torillian said:
Nsanity said:
radishhead said:

said it has the CCV which Sony has specifically said they never ask for and do not have.

and finally Sony has evidence that someone got into the server with the personal information but not the one with the credit card information.

There seems to be some evidence that they did ask for a CCV number.

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-didn-t-need-your-cc-security-code-except-it-did--199973.phtml

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
Torillian said:
Nsanity said:
radishhead said:

There seems to be some evidence that they did ask for a CCV number.

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-didn-t-need-your-cc-security-code-except-it-did--199973.phtml

ah, good catch there! Clearly says that ccv numbers cannot be stored in databases as per credit card usage rules.

That's a relief to everyone, I bet.