By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - DICE: death of PC claim is ‘bullshit’

RolStoppable said:

Now that's what I like to hear: Former top developers of PC games returning to the PC and making that version vastly superior to the console counterparts (provided they still bother with console versions).

BF3 will have console versions.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
MikeB said:

Speaking as a PC only gamer last gen, I can easily say PC gaming has declined a lot like it or not. There are many reasons for this.

- Mass piracy on especially the PC platform.

Yeah, I torrented to Halo 2 to see if I could run it on my laptop. I couldn't. So I deleted it.

- Consoles being more comfortable / tidy for most people regarding from the couch gaming in the living room. Consoles becoming more all-in-one multi-media capable (for example Blu-Ray / Blu-Ray 3D playback) and powerful wireless controllers.

Idk man. My friend sits on a pretty posh computer chair that you could fall asleep in. And with the right monitor and computer, you can play Blu-Ray and 3D content.

- Consoles having become far more capable with regard to online gaming and gaming in general, for example LittleBigPlanet user created content or lag free mass online gaming. Consoles having some of the most pretty and impressive games like Gran Turismo, God of War, Killzone, Uncharted, etc. The emergence of HDTVs and surround audio setups.

Once again, I know some guys whose monitors are running 1600x1200 resolution and higher. Plus my brother has surround sound on his computer. All he has to do is hit two buttons and boom, surround sound. As for lag, you win there.

- Microsoft shifting focuss from Windows gaming towards XBox gaming. For example many Microsoft titles are XBox (timed) exclusive, like Halo, Gears of War and Fable series.

Yes, but all we have to do is wait (in the case of Halo, we have to wait for a new OS)

- Many people not wanting to constantly upgrade to play the latest and greatest while knowing a top title a year onwards may crawl or look unimpressive on just upgraded system. Consoles are seeing ever more optimised games released each year (sometimes combined with entry pricing reductions) while PC gamers know that apart from higher resolutions (often played on smaller screen than most HDTVs) at higher framerates there isn't much of an advantage to PC gaming. In any case no PC game can be fully optimised for all those possible different configurations. Actually games which are designed to run well enough on common minimal specs sell much better than those games which are developed to require top level setups.

Enter the Source Engine. Games look and play great, even on a crappy ATi Radeon X1000 series graphics card. A lot of PC gamers don't even run their games at max settings unless they can. I play Left 4 Dead at 720x480 with all graphics settings on their lowest and I still have a blast.

- Laptops having become much more popular than desktop than in the past (recently also iPads etc). They aren't that good for many type of hardcore games.

See previous post.

- Social gaming having become popular, like Wii, PS Move and Kinect.

Read: Bejeweled, Dungeon Master Online, Anarachy Online...Runescape... >.<

There are plenty more reasons, IMO this dev just wants to spread propaganda to mobilize the PC gaming loyalists to buy their game, IMO noting more than that. PC gaming has become far less significant commercially and will probably continue to decline significantly due to many different reasons.

Steam says hi.

Zkuq said:

Every time someone mentions 'PC gaming dying', I can't help thinking of this picture:

Also, usually I can't help posting it.

huaxiong90 said:

OT: I wonder what the PC benefits of Battlefield 3 will be?

Much more players (64 on PC, 24 on consoles), dedicated servers (could be on consoles too, though I don't think there's any reason to think so yet), better graphics (obviously), probably easier and more versatile controls and quick chat options (really, quick chat is great), customizable controls. I don't think they've actually confirmed much of that but it should be pretty obvious.

thats a very small image given the time span......

id die by the time i put together an image of all AAA playstation exclusives since it released in 1994 despite the 9 year disadvantage.

fps_d0minat0r said:
Zkuq said:

Every time someone mentions 'PC gaming dying', I can't help thinking of this picture:

huaxiong90 said:

Much more players (64 on PC, 24 on consoles), dedicated servers (could be on consoles too, though I don't think there's any reason to think so yet), better graphics (obviously), probably easier and more versatile controls and quick chat options (really, quick chat is great), customizable controls. I don't think they've actually confirmed much of that but it should be pretty obvious.

id die by the time i put together an image of all AAA playstation exclusives since it released in 1994 despite the 9 year disadvantage.

There are countless amount of games that are not in that image. I wouldn't expect you to know though, I bet you think CoD and KZ are AAA material. I'd like to also point out that the meaning of 90 back in 2000 was much much different than it does now. a 90 from 2000 is roughly equal to a 96 in 2011 going by sheer quality. This effect is mostly because games have started to cater to the least common denominator, and just liek Twilight, they have become absolutely terrible in quality. They get a lot more praise though, despite the low quality of the game.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

we've been 5 years into this gen, every year "the PC is dying" and every year there are new SFIV's (games you wouldn't think of playing on PCs before) and Crysis 2 (games you wouldn't think of playing on consoles before), and this is not exclusive to this gen; though there are less spin offs, e.g. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and more 1:1 ports, like Crysis 2. I'm still trying to figure out why this discussion still happens, but so far I can only think that this is part of the standard Q&A that journalists need to ask.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Zkuq said:

huaxiong90 said:

There are countless amount of games that are not in that image. I wouldn't expect you to know though, I bet you think CoD and KZ are AAA material. I'd like to also point out that the meaning of 90 back in 2000 was much much different than it does now. a 90 from 2000 is roughly equal to a 96 in 2011 going by sheer quality. This effect is mostly because games have started to cater to the least common denominator, and just liek Twilight, they have become absolutely terrible in quality. They get a lot more praise though, despite the low quality of the game.

90 = 96? lol a PC shooter that was rated 75 then is equal to a 90 now.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MikeB said:

Speaking as a PC only gamer last gen, I can easily say PC gaming has declined a lot like it or not. There are many reasons for this.

Sure yeah lol.

- Mass piracy on especially the PC platform.

Used game sales on consoles cost the industry just as much if not more.

- Consoles being more comfortable / tidy for most people regarding from the couch gaming in the living room. Consoles becoming more all-in-one multi-media capable (for example Blu-Ray / Blu-Ray 3D playback) and powerful wireless controllers.

Why does every PC thread have someone posting about how comfortable their couch is? As if it's relevant to anything or anyone gives a shit.

- Consoles having become far more capable with regard to online gaming and gaming in general, for example LittleBigPlanet user created content or lag free mass online gaming. Consoles having some of the most pretty and impressive games like Gran Turismo, God of War, Killzone, Uncharted, etc. The emergence of HDTVs and surround audio setups.

ModDB, FPS Banana etc... Online on PC is immensley superior to consoles. You actually get gaming clans hosting their own servers. 120hz monitor > 50hz television.

- Microsoft shifting focuss from Windows gaming towards XBox gaming. For example many Microsoft titles are XBox (timed) exclusive, like Halo, Gears of War and Fable series.

I would prefer for Microsoft to stay out of PC gaming.

- Many people not wanting to constantly upgrade to play the latest and greatest while knowing a top title a year onwards may crawl or look unimpressive on just upgraded system. Consoles are seeing ever more optimised games released each year (sometimes combined with entry pricing reductions) while PC gamers know that apart from higher resolutions (often played on smaller screen than most HDTVs) at higher framerates there isn't much of an advantage to PC gaming. In any case no PC game can be fully optimised for all those possible different configurations. Actually games which are designed to run well enough on common minimal specs sell much better than those games which are developed to require top level setups.

Console games look outdated when compared to PC. There is no comparison. Other advantages of PC include better online, modding tools, better controls for FPS etc...

- Laptops having become much more popular than desktop than in the past (recently also iPads etc). They aren't that good for many type of hardcore games.

What has this got to do with anything?

- Social gaming having become popular, like Wii, PS Move and Kinect.

Again, what does this hve to do with anything. Other systems were affected a lot more by casual gaming than the PC.

There are plenty more reasons, IMO this dev just wants to spread propaganda to mobilize the PC gaming loyalists to buy their game, IMO noting more than that. PC gaming has become far less significant commercially and will probably continue to decline significantly due to many different reasons.

> 90 = 96? lol a PC shooter that was rated 75 then is equal to a 90 now.

IMO nowadays a lot more effort is being put into games. Good actors are hired, orchestras are playing top quality music scores, a lot more attention to details, etc.

Of course there were highlights such as the Half-Life series, but in general I think many old PC shooters wouldn't score that well today even with a visual upgrade. ID software, Valve and Epic Games all make console versions of their games, in the past these companies were far more PC gaming orientated.

I do agree some games like the Gears of War series and Halo series are overhyped, often there seem to platform bias involved. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

rrrnearrr said:
shio said:

There are more PC exclusives than in all consoles combined. FACT. Don't try to spin this.

So? That's because console games have to be allowed and verified by the platform holders. Not that I care about your exclusive "MOD" . Or college student 2D Space Shooter

So because you don't like it or don't play it, it shouldn't count or matter? That's a very ignorant attitude to take.

There are plenty of great games on the PC that cater to a wide variety of genres. Plus most current console games are also on PC.

I also think some people need to have a look at this list:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124222&page=1#