By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony’s War on Makers, Hackers, and Innovators

Damn good article/read, it's very true this isn't the Sony I grew up with that had the best hardware on the market and everyone praised them for it.  Modding isn't the problem and if they're just going to be sue crazy about it, it's going to run off many of their divoted base.  It's pretty sad to see those that believe modding is an issue, most of it is propaganda produced by Sony to show why it's bad, but in reality modding typically allows the base to take care of itself rather than letting it stagnate waiting for Sony to make a new program or the like.

They're cracking down on Geohot but I highly doubt Sony is going to bully their way through this one, Geohot is seasoned, he knows what he's doing when he mods, and he knows not to make anything that allows for piracy, the man only opens up technology for the community, if the community takes it and starts creating illegal programs thats on them and not Geohot, period.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

For the record, in 2007 a Wii cost $1000 dollars in Brazil.  (American dollars.)  1800 for the PS3.

With games ranging between $200-$300

Per Capita Income of Brazil?

$5,052.

So... not really that affordable for the middle class.  Though I was off on the price.  It's more like half a months salary.  Which is still, you know ridiculious.  Guess the Brazilian people I know are a bit poorer then average.  Not that surprisng considering their gini coefficent.

Of course that's probably why they import from the US so much, but you can't quite drive up the US every time you wanna pick up a new game.

Like I said the high price of the console actually makes it so that those that can afford it can afford games after its purchase...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:

For the record, in 2007 a Wii cost $1000 dollars in Brazil.  (American dollars.)  1800 for the PS3.

$5,052.

So... not really that affordable for the middle class.  Though I was off on the price.  It's more like half a months salary.  Which is still, you know ridiculious.  Guess the Brazilian people I know are a bit poorer then average.  Not that surprisng considering their gini coefficent.

Of course that's probably why they import from the US so much, but you can't quite drive up the US every time you wanna pick up a new game.

Like I said the high price of the console actually makes it so that those that can afford it can afford games after its purchase...

No, it doesn't.

High costing products = less money to spend because you had to save up for the console.

If you think otherwise... I'd suggest you've never actually known too many people who were poor.

Besides, you were talking about the "Middle class".

That IS the middle class.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:

$5,052.

No, it doesn't.

High costing products = less money to spend because you had to save up for the console.

If you think otherwise... I'd suggest you've never actually known too many people who were poor.

I'm pretty sure that if you are poor, saving up to purchase a gaming console is the last thing on your mind...

So obviously the owners of console in countries like Brazil are not among the poorest...

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:

$5,052.

No, it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure that if you are poor, saving up to purchase a gaming console is the last thing on your mind...

So obviously the owners of console in countries like Brazil are not among the poorest...

So in otherwords...

you don't know many poor people. 

Or really in this case, middle class people but their is a ridiculious 60% tax on imports.

I mean, gaming is a LOT of peoples main hobby.  You don't think people are willing to save up for their main hobby?

I mean,  your europeon ticket prices may not be the same there, but you should see what people here spend on season tickets and the like, or the kind of nice cars a lot of people have that live in crappy apartments.

People are willing to save up for stuff, as long as they know once they've reached that entry cost, they won't have to pay much more.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:

$5,052.

No, it doesn't.

So in otherwords...

Or really in this case, middle class people but their is a ridiculious 60% tax on imports.

I mean, gaming is a LOT of peoples main hobby.  You don't think people are willing to save up for their main hobby?

I mean,  your europeon ticket prices may not be the same there, but you should see what people here spend on season tickets and the like, or the kind of nice cars a lot of people have that live in crappy apartments.

People are willing to save up for stuff, as long as they know once they've reached that entry cost, they won't have to pay much more.

You need to stop looking at things with your american point of view.

For starters poor people in the rest of the world don't access to credit the way american people do ( so they aren't buying stuff they can't afford, the idea of personnal bankrupcy is a very american one that isn't widespread in the rest of the world.). ( thank god, we don't need another housing crash).

PS : I have been living in Colorado for 11 years so I have a pretty good idea what season tickets cost and how many people have nice cars they can't afford.

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Kasz216 said:

$5,052.

No, it doesn't.

So in otherwords...

You need to stop looking at things with your american point of view.

For starters poor people in the rest of the world don't access to credit the way american people do ( so they aren't buying stuff they can't afford, the idea of personnal bankrupcy is a very american one that isn't widespread in the rest of the world.). ( thank god, we don't need another housing crash).

PS : I have been living in Colorado for 11 years so I have a pretty good idea what season tickets cost and how many people have nice cars they can't afford.

"American point of view"?

I'm talking about what people in Brazil tell me... and what i've read from Brazil.

So it's a Brazillian point of view.

The market is all blackmarket and piracy because the prices are too high.  Occasionally with buying a console from the stores at full price then hacking it.

Example article I just found

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26645/Analysis_Inside_Brazils_Video_Game_Ecosystem.php

Apparently Brazil USED to be a great place to buy games... till the prices went all insane.  Now it's just buy the consoles and piracy.  How do you stop piracy?  By offering software at a price that people want to buy it at.  How do you raise piracy, by having unreasonable prices that people aren't going to buy it at.  It's that simple.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_201/6059-A-Nation-of-Pirates

Intersetingly they have different numbers money wise then the Per Capita GDP... and hilarious alarmism.

Kasz216 said:

I'm talking about what people in Brazil tell me... and what i've read from Brazil.

The market is all blackmarket and piracy because the prices are too high.  Occasionally with buying a console from the stores at full price then hacking it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26645/Analysis_Inside_Brazils_Video_Game_Ecosystem.php

Apparently Brazil USED to be a great place to buy games... till the prices went all insane.  Now it's just buy the consoles and piracy.  How do you stop piracy?  By offering software at a price that people want to buy it at.  How do you raise piracy, by having unreasonable prices that people aren't going to buy it at.  It's that simple.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_201/6059-A-Nation-of-Pirates

Intersetingly they have different numbers money wise then the Per Capita GDP... and hilarious alarmism.

That's still technically an "American" point of view.

O-)

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
Kasz216 said:

O-)

Yeah, the actual from Brazil people i've talked too aren't quotable articles... but actual people.

Who used to be on this site.  Heck, I'm sure if any brazilians were walking by they'd back me up.  Though I'm sure they tend to avoid piracy threads... because everyone pirates... pretty much because they have too... thanks to their dumb government.

Kasz216 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Kasz216 said:

O-)

Yeah, the actual from Brazil people i've talked too aren't quotable articles... but actual people.

Who used to be on this site.  Heck, I'm sure if any brazilians were walking by they'd back me up.  Though I'm sure they tend to avoid piracy threads... because everyone pirates... pretty much because they have too... thanks to their dumb government.

I think ethomaz spoke once about ridiculous prices in his country (Brazil, that is).

Btw, it was a joke on how Brazil is part of South "America". (just in case you didn't get it)

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!