By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony’s War on Makers, Hackers, and Innovators

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

Except... your studies... weren't studies.  They were paid reports which never saw publication and whose data is locked up, with just the few things stated being what copaneis want you to hear.

Also, they were't about "comics" so you wren't reading too well.

None of your comments are "proof of piracy" they are... your comments... ill informed comments according to consensus.

Developers closing down had NOTHING to do with piracy.  I don't know if you've noticed, but largely the reason developers have closed down this gen have been skyrocketing costs to MAKE games.

The data i have been giving you is part from the group you call lobbiest and the others are quotes from the developers or publishers of the games...

All i could make out of the pictures was anime i originally said dvds but the other kid said comics so i went with him. Anyway it really doesnt mean much its still all based around 1 thing with is ancdotal...so it means nothing its not even a source..

Again my comments are quotes from developers or the "lobbiests".. the one ishoot ssthing was me paraphrasing what they said. Yours are all your opinions or perceptions of things which mean nothing like i said without a source. And i gave you a link to the titan quest developer and they literally said piracy was why they closed down, there was other factors they mentioned too but piracy was the main reason. So again you are incorrect.

A)It's not really data.  Because they don't let you see all their results.  Lots of these reports if you press the researchers, actually contradict the offical public statement

B)Also, uh, it wasn't anectdotal... they colected actual empirical data... specifically because there isn't much out there.  Your Titan's quest rant and developers say piracy hurting them comments though... actually anecdotal.

C)  Saying piracy shut you down doesn't mean that's what shut them down.  Saying "Piracy" sounds a lot better then "incompetance handling money" "making games people didn't want to buy" and other reasons.

I mean, your taking an angry internet rant as proof.  Not even data.  But an angry internet rant.  He also blames "People not defragging their harddrive" for why they went out of buisness.  Seriously?

Edit: Also, if you go to the source.  He says that's not even the reason it closed down, but a tangental reason... even though you know,  it's just him being angry without any facts... claiming for some reason hat is something outsells somethin on consoles insetad of PC that means piracy... and piracy where people would of bought it.

Guess that explains why PS3 games used to sell so bad compaired to 360 games.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=42663

Around the Network

this wll end up just getting the sony/ps3 in more trouble.  once you get the hackers mad, they go crazy to get you!

Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

Except... your studies... weren't studies.  They were paid reports which never saw publication and whose data is locked up, with just the few things stated being what copaneis want you to hear.

None of your comments are "proof of piracy" they are... your comments... ill informed comments according to consensus.

Developers closing down had NOTHING to do with piracy.  I don't know if you've noticed, but largely the reason developers have closed down this gen have been skyrocketing costs to MAKE games.

The data i have been giving you is part from the group you call lobbiest and the others are quotes from the developers or publishers of the games...

All i could make out of the pictures was anime i originally said dvds but the other kid said comics so i went with him. Anyway it really doesnt mean much its still all based around 1 thing with is ancdotal...so it means nothing its not even a source..

Again my comments are quotes from developers or the "lobbiests".. the one ishoot ssthing was me paraphrasing what they said. Yours are all your opinions or perceptions of things which mean nothing like i said without a source. And i gave you a link to the titan quest developer and they literally said piracy was why they closed down, there was other factors they mentioned too but piracy was the main reason. So again you are incorrect.

A)It's not really data.  Because they don't let you see all their results.  Lots of these reports if you press the researchers, actually contradict the offical public statement

B)Also, uh, it wasn't anectdotal... they colected actual data.  Your Titan's quest and developers say piracy hurting them comments though... actually anecdotal.

C)  Saying piracy shut you down doesn't mean that's what shut them down.  Saying "Piracy" sounds a lot better then "incompetance handling money" "making games people didn't want to buy" and other reasons.

I mean, your taking an angry internet rant as proof.  Not even data.  But an angry internet rant.  He also blames "People not defragging their harddrive" for why they went out of buisness.  Seriously?

Edit: Also, if you go to the source.  He says that's not even the reason it closed down, but a tangental reason... even though you know,  it's just him being angry without any facts... claiming for some reason hat is something outsells somethin on consoles insetad of PC that means piracy... and piracy where people would of bought it.

Funny how PS3 actually has a higher attach rate in Europe for example where piracy is more predominant..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

landguy1 said:

this wll end up just getting the sony/ps3 in more trouble.  once you get the hackers mad, they go crazy to get you!

I think that's exactly what Sony and the other Software companies are waiting for.

Let one of those guy get really mad and do something really stupid...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:

B)Also, uh, it wasn't anectdotal... they colected actual data.  Your Titan's quest and developers say piracy hurting them comments though... actually anecdotal.

Funny how PS3 actually has a higher attach rate in Europe for example where piracy is more predominant..

A) Do they even keep attach rates on this site anymore

B) Why would you think that would mean anything?  Afterall, Europe is the most "Pro-Sony" area.

C) According to pirate quest logic it meant there was ramant piracy in America, and Europe... because you know, lower numbers, who cares about attach rate.

Around the Network
Ail said:
landguy1 said:

I think that's exactly what Sony and the other Software companies are waiting for.

My thought would be that "making them mad" would result in coordinated efforts to derail sony in other ways.  like sony's other products/websites, psn, etc...   This will only hurt sony long term.

I'd say that piracy has a significant (relatively to the overall presence) effect in developing markets. For games especially prices across Europe are roughly the same, with bigger markets actually profiting from discounts more often, while developing markets often have the people with lower income paying more. It's a luxury, but if it's available for free, then it's the collectors buying since the perceived value for most other people significantly drops. Smaller markets also can't develop a large used games segment, so it's more on a private basis, concequently more of a hassle.

I can imagine this being pretty similar for South America (where importing isn't quite as easy as in Europe, I guess), some of Asia if not a big part of it. And there are probably also some exceptions not based on income, Sweden likely, I know a couple of people there who simply don't view media as something to be bought unless it's unavoidable, like unhackable or you're going to the cinema, and members here have confirmed the existence mentality of this as well.

So the overall effect will differ from region to region. A lot of those regions' numbers would have been very low compared to the rest, but still on a local basis piracy can definitely become the de facto way of getting digital media. (comics and books are probably lower on the list, a pirated game can be 100% identical, a well encoded film can be close enough to the original, books still have a distinctly different feeling).

Either way, I think the offer of a service (Live, PSN) can go way further in its efficiency than tracking IPs and sending out letters.

landguy1 said:
Ail said:
landguy1 said:

My thought would be that "making them mad" would result in coordinated efforts to derail sony in other ways.  like sony's other products/websites, psn, etc...   This will only hurt sony long term.

Eh, most of the "criminal" hackers seem to be busy targeting those people who are trying to prosecute someone for rape.

They're a totally different kind of hacker then your hackers like Geohot and the rest.

alekth said:

I'd say that piracy has a significant (relatively to the overall presence) effect in developing markets. For games especially prices across Europe are roughly the same, with bigger markets actually profiting from discounts more often, while developing markets often have the people with lower income paying more. It's a luxury, but if it's available for free, then it's the collectors buying since the perceived value for most other people significantly drops. Smaller markets also can't develop a large used games segment, so it's more on a private basis, concequently more of a hassle.

I can imagine this being pretty similar for South America (where importing isn't quite as easy as in Europe, I guess), some of Asia if not a big part of it. And there are probably also some exceptions not based on income, Sweden likely, I know a couple of people there who simply don't view media as something to be bought unless it's unavoidable, like unhackable or you're going to the cinema, and members here have confirmed the existence mentality of this as well.

So the overall effect will differ from region to region. A lot of those regions' numbers would have been very low compared to the rest, but still on a local basis piracy can definitely become the de facto way of getting digital media. (comics and books are probably lower on the list, a pirated game can be 100% identical, a well encoded film can be close enough to the original, books still have a distinctly different feeling).

Either way, I think the offer of a service (Live, PSN) can go way further in its efficiency than tracking IPs and sending out letters.

Piracy becoming the defacto way of getting media because things are so expensive is basically the epitome of why piracy doesn't hurt in those regions.  When a game costs 2-3 months wages... who is going to buy a game?

Kasz216 said:
landguy1 said:
Ail said:
landguy1 said:

Eh, most of the "criminal" hackers seem to be busy targeting those people who are trying to prosecute someone for rape.

They're a totally different kind of hacker then your hackers like Geohot and the rest.

this isn't necessarily the criminals, just the average guys trying together to get "the man".