By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “PlayStation 4″ Plans Suspended?

This shouldnt be a shock to anyone.... there should be no need to even think about PS4 at this point.

maybe in 5 or 6 more years...

I will admit tho it was slightly disturbing to hear sony talk about the portable shift thats going on.... ID BE FUCKIN PISSED IF PORTABLE GAMING WAS THE ONLY THING IN THE FUTURE.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Around the Network

This has been an obvious issue for a while now, that both Microsoft and Sony are facing because of the large jump in hardware tech specs from 6th to 7th gen consoles.

What this has essentially led to is that Microsoft and Sony have run out of room for justifying a hardware upgrade from the 7th gen to the 8th gen home consoles for sometime because of the associated costs of hardware production and software development.

This leaves and excellent opportunity for Nintendo, at anytime they please, can leap past both the PS3 and Xbox360 in terms of hardware power. The reason is that the upgrade to the 8th gen home console will be justified from the leap in terms of power from the Wii's hardware capabilities.

If Microsoft and Sony were to follow suit they would be unable to position their 8th gen consoles as well as Nintendo's. That would allow Nintendo to take a ton of the 8th gen market share. Microsoft's and Sony's best option is to wait out until the 9th home console gen where they will have the hardware upgrade advantage when Nintendo would not.

Though, there is concern about software development costs for both 8th and 9th gen home consoles so the majority of the market will probably shift to the handheld space where all development budget levels seem to be accepted by consumers. This is assuming there is no breakthroughs in reducing development costs or in reducing consumer's game budget expectation (that low and middle budget made games are acceptable on 8th and 9th gen home consoles).

The third option is that both the handheld and home consoles merge into one device that can function as both a standalone handheld console or wirelessly connects to a T.V. and functions as (or possibly even morph into) a console controller in console mode.

This will probably happen in the future as portable hardware specs will eventually outstrip even the largest game development budgets. And, consumers would benefit from this as they would be getting essentially a home console and a handheld console for the price of 1 system and every game purchased would share that same benefit.

BS

it's more likely they will allocate more resources for NGP than PS4 for now, which makes sense

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

trent44 said:

This has been an obvious issue for a while now, that both Microsoft and Sony are facing because of the large jump in hardware tech specs from 6th to 7th gen consoles.

What this has essentially led to is that Microsoft and Sony have run out of room for justifying a hardware upgrade from the 7th gen to the 8th gen home consoles for sometime because of the associated costs of hardware production and software development.

This leaves and excellent opportunity for Nintendo, at anytime they please, can leap past both the PS3 and Xbox360 in terms of hardware power. The reason is that the upgrade to the 8th gen home console will be justified from the leap in terms of power from the Wii's hardware capabilities.

If Microsoft and Sony were to follow suit they would be unable to position their 8th gen consoles as well as Nintendo's. That would allow Nintendo to take a ton of the 8th gen market share. Microsoft's and Sony's best option is to wait out until the 9th home console gen where they will have the hardware upgrade advantage when Nintendo would not.

Though, there is concern about software development costs for both 8th and 9th gen home consoles so the majority of the market will probably shift to the handheld space where all development budget levels seem to be accepted by consumers. This is assuming there is no breakthroughs in reducing development costs or in reducing consumer's game budget expectation (that low and middle budget made games are acceptable on 8th and 9th gen home consoles).

The third option is that both the handheld and home consoles merge into one device that can function as both a standalone handheld console or wirelessly connects to a T.V. and functions as (or possibly even morph into) a console controller in console mode.

This will probably happen in the future as portable hardware specs will eventually outstrip even the largest game development budgets. And, consumers would benefit from this as they would be getting essentially a home console and a handheld console for the price of 1 system and every game purchased would share that same benefit.

PS3 I can see lasting another gen, 360 I can't, the dvd drive is a major draw back for the 360 and MS is letting alot of devs slip away it has very few exclusives in the making right now even if they have some surprises I don't see them being able to compete with the ps3s line up and while Kinect has helped 360 maintain it's selling rate I just don't think it has alot of legs, 360 is running out of steam and ps3 seems to just be picking up more

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

it's more likely they will allocate more resources for NGP than PS4 for now, which makes sense

What??????????

The hardware for the NGP has obviously been done as the "real thing" was presented recently. Obviously some/most of the (hardware) resources tied up by the NGP are now (re-)allocated to the PS4. Now THAT makes sense..

drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

What??????????

The hardware for the NGP has obviously been done as the "real thing" was presented recently. Obviously some/most of the (hardware) resources tied up by the NGP are now (re-)allocated to the PS4. Now THAT makes sense..

not at all, no one ever said that hardware was finalized. We will still see tweaks on it before launch. And resources when developing for a new console doesn't mean it's only on HW. There are many SW aspects that will be focused on as well. That's why I think this rumor is most probably making mountains out of mole hills. Once the NGP launch is finalized and set to go, they will be back to focusing on ps4 development

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I want a true PS3 slim in late this year or early 2012 and the PS4 can be Fall/Winter 2013

Omac said:

I think a majority of people are still satisfied with power of the current systems.

At the moment, when games on the HD consoles are about as graphically impressive as you can get, I'm sure most people are; and similar statements would been made in early 2005, or 1999 prior to the past two generations of systems being demonstrated.

When people see what new systems offer (and I'm not talking about processing power alone) there perspectives on what is 'good enough' and what they're 'satisfied with' often change rapidly ...

M.U.G.E.N said:
drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

What??????????

not at all, no one ever said that hardware was finalized. We will still see tweaks on it before launch. And resources when developing for a new console doesn't mean it's only on HW. There are many SW aspects that will be focused on as well. That's why I think this rumor is most probably making mountains out of mole hills. Once the NGP launch is finalized and set to go, they will be back to focusing on ps4 development

In fact I seem to remember someone from Sony saying that it wasn't 100% final. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!