By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “PlayStation 4″ Plans Suspended?

trasharmdsister12 said:

Not even released and the PS4 is already doomed?!

I don't believe this though and I'm actually glad. The developers have finally got a lot of good tech into place for current consoles and we're finally starting to see the gems of their labour. They need time to recoup on their investments before moving on.

Couldnt agree with you more. even Microsoft have stated how they want Kinect to extend the life of the 360 for another 5 years. whether thats feasible is debatable, but i would rather see at least 3 years more of excellent games, made relatively quickly, with the same consumer price tag - because if the development of games is as expensive as we think then that means those costs will be passed onto the consumer when they purchase games.

Around the Network

If what we need to make out of this piece of misinformation is that the PS3 has still some years to kick, then that's great news.

I'm satisfied with my console. It seems that I haven't had that much time with it. I'm all for having a 10 year life cycle. When Consoles can be upgraded and features added on to all of the other tech it can do, it's not like the consoles of the past.

Always possible they decided to change focus and thus table development for the time being.

I say this makes sense. Now that the developers can  cross-develop between PS3 and NGP, I think the PS3 life has been extended. When the PS4 releases, this advantage is gone again.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

Just as a side note ...

I`ve seen in this thread, and on several other threads, about how the next generation of consoles needs to be held off due to escalating development costs; and that people can wait 5 years for these console manufacturers to produce far more powerful systems. These two thoughts are simply not compatible because, throughout the history of videogame development, the cost of developing a videogame is directly related to the amount of processing power efficiently utilized in the game; and whether you go from a platform that is 8 to 10 times as powerful as the HD consoles to a system that is 64 to 100 times as powerful, or just go to the system that is 64 to 100 times as powerful directly, the cost of developing a game to take advantage of that system of the future will remain the same (except you may not have the experience of managing the budgets of games on that system that was 8 to 10 times as powerful to help you control the development cost on the really high end system).

There are only two ways to control escalating development budgets; work with out-dated/obsolete hardware (which was an offensive concept just a couple of years ago when it was suggested to these developers and gamers when it came to the Wii), or learn to utilize the hardware and manage the scope of the game at a level which is justified based on realistic expectations of game sales.

I think a majority of people are still satisfied with power of the current systems.

i hope sony is indeed delaying the launch of their next gen home console... i have 8 unopened games that i still need to play and i predict that this year i will buy about 20 new games and i also predict that i will only have time to play 75% of the new ones... so unplayed games are stocking up and a new console is not necessary... give me some time to breathe...

now seriously... i agree with most, the power of current systems is enough.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

green_sky said:

Where is Pachter. He needs to weight on this immediately :P

Sony lost the chance of releasing PS3 II super duper FULLLLLLLLLLL HD, and will be in third forever and ever in this spot of time and space.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

richardhutnik said:

Always possible they decided to change focus and thus table development for the time being.

I tought this was for people that want more diversity in gaming but buy all COD's and alikes.. a paradigm =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."