By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata on 3DS vs NGP battle: “The customers will decide which is correct”

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata.

You know what the press thinks about NGP. You know what investors think about NGP. You'll soon know what Alex thinks about NGP (he didn't get to play it or anything, but I'll have his impressions from the PlayStation Meeting press conference up in a bit).

Now let's see what Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata thinks about Sony's new portable!

Nintendo held the Tokyo version of quarterly earnings briefing today (following the Osaka version yesterday -- see here for a few bits from that). According to Bloomberg, Iwata said of Sony and the NGP, "They're trying to appeal to customers from a different direction than us. The customers will decide which is correct."

Iwata was also asked about the measures Nintendo will be taking to combat the NGP. "Nintendo is not the kind of company that thinks about how we oppose other company's product," replied Iwata.

Nintendo's 3DS system will be launching on February 26. Preorders kicked off last week and pretty much instantly disappeared. Iwata told journalists at the briefing that preorders are going well. At the same time, however, he emphasized the importance of continued sales rather than a "rocket start."

Iwata also touched upon some firmware plans for the 3DS. Nintendo will be updating the system's firmware at the end of May to beef up its wireless functionality, he revealed. This firmware update will also make it so that current DS owners can transfer their internal software over to the 3DS.

Bloomberg was able to get some one-on-one time with Iwata back on the 9th and decided to ask him a question we're sure he loves getting every quarter: any plans to offer original titles on non-Nintendo hardware? Iwata's response was "So long as I am CEO, it definitely will not happen."

Source:  andriasang.com

Around the Network

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

thread is already broken.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Lastgengamer said:

Iwata was also asked about the measures Nintendo will be taking to combat the NGP. "Nintendo is not the kind of company that thinks about how we oppose other company's product," replied Iwata.

Bloomberg was able to get some one-on-one time with Iwata back on the 9th and decided to ask him a question we're sure he loves getting every quarter: any plans to offer original titles on non-Nintendo hardware? Iwata's response was "So long as I am CEO, it definitely will not happen."

Source:  andriasang.com

Iwata was choosing his words smart and being a mature buisnessman. He took the high road in this reply. However Nintendo most definatly is considering their options to compete with NGP theirs no doubt about that. NGP is a threat to Nintendo's market share so I'm guessing they have counter measures already worked out to prevent market share from slipping into Sony's hands.

As for classics on non-Nintendo hardware. Not going to happen likely ever. Nintendo has stated that the company would go under before allowing any of its games on opposing systems or third party hardware. Miyamoto has also confirmed none of his titles will ever be on an opposing platform. So of course Iwata is going to say no.

Also it would make no-buisness sense to put your software on PC or third party hardware. Software is the biggest incentive to buying a console if you can get the software on other platforms where is the benefit to buying Nintendo hardware. I think that was one of Sega's big mistakes they made games availible on PC and look where they ended up (No I don't think PC ports led to their downfall but it sure could have contributed!!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

RolStoppable said:

This is quite an arrogant thing to say. Putting the fate of two handhelds into the hands of the average customer who is well known to be stupid. I suppose Nintendo has no other option than to trust in the stupidity of the market, if they want to succeed.

You are a consumer too. Ha!

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

How stupid could one be to ask if they will release games on anything other than their consoles? I mean that is what sells the system, the games so why put them on anything ells 0_o

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

RolStoppable said:
Beuli2 said:
RolStoppable said:

This is quite an arrogant thing to say. Putting the fate of two handhelds into the hands of the average customer who is well known to be stupid. I suppose Nintendo has no other option than to trust in the stupidity of the market, if they want to succeed.

You are a consumer too. Ha!

But I am not an average one. Clearly, I am in a league of my own.

Damn, I expected you to answer something like "I know this, ha!" which I would reply  "I know you know this", but being the -somewhat- smart guy you are you already knew that I knew that you knew, but in reality I too already knew you knew that I knew that you knew about you being the consumer, but by predicting this you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew so you outsmarted me by making a different answer and screwing my whole plan over, in other words, this doesn't make any sense.

Nice Answer :)

No trash talk? None!? Aaaw :( i came here hoping for someone epic thread about how shit Nintendo think it is >.< YOU LET ME DOWN NINTENDO!

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Chibi.V.29 said:

No trash talk? None!? Aaaw :( i came here hoping for someone epic thread about how shit Nintendo think it is >.<

The one who stealth trolls is Reggie not Iwata. Iwata hides his trolls in a much harder way to analyse that you'll blow your mind before figuring out if it was just a coincidence of words or if he really was flamming his competitors.