By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ninja Theory boss: Naughty Dog is “best console developer in the world”

Serious_frusting said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Wagram said:
cura said:
I'm sure Nintendo fans would disagree...especially after the reviews SMG2 have been getting.

Anyway, I don't think there really is a 'single' best console developer. I'd take the opinion that there are a dozen or so extremely talented developers. Still, good for ND to receive such praise from another developer.

and i'm sure Sony fans would tell you that Uncharted 2 is better. That's how the world goes round. :D

If a Sony or Nintendo fan tells you that their game is better just BECAUSE they are a Sony or a Nintendo fan, then they lack perspective and their opinion is meaningless anyway.

Not really if you word it the way you have then yes. But i would say someone who has brought a PS3 over Wii will prefer Sony made games then Nintendo games in the first place hence they own a Sony console. So them saying ND is better then the best Nintendo dev isnt too hard to swollow when you think of it like that

I don't. I think people who like games just because they are on the console they own, is the definition of a fanboy.

...or let me revise that.

The definition of a fanboy is, imo, people who hate games just because they AREN'T on the console they own.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
pearljammer said:
wholikeswood said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

What, those games were developed by 2nd party developers, right?

I know the Brawl developer(can't think of his name) has been making Nintendo games for years, so while technically they aren't developed by Nintendo.....I still think of them as being developed by Nintendo, lol.

Anyway, yeah, Nintendo is probably the best developer on console imo. Their games might not be absolutely "better" than say Uncharted 2, but there are a lot more of em, hehe.

Not really a fair comparison though...

The number of Nintendo employees must dwarf the number of ND employees, surely?

Not only that, but Nintendo itself is an aggregate of several studios. It'd make much more sense to compare their individual studios to ND or even the whole of Nintendo to the whole of Sony.

lol, ok, then here ya go.

The limey bastage who made Mario Galaxy 2 is better than the spoony bard who masterminded the excellent Uncharted 2, imo, but they are in the margin for error of quality difference.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
pearljammer said:

Not only that, but Nintendo itself is an aggregate of several studios. It'd make much more sense to compare their individual studios to ND or even the whole of Nintendo to the whole of Sony.

lol, ok, then here ya go.

The limey bastage who made Mario Galaxy 2 is better than the spoony bard who masterminded the excellent Uncharted 2, imo, but they are in the margin for error of quality difference.

Though it may be nitpicky, I think it's an important distinction.

I would agree with you though. I prefer both that team as well as Intelligent System's to ND, though they both make ridiculously fun games.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

The opinion was that they are the best console developer. Clearly they are not in a wider sense of the definition because you'd have to consider all console developers for all market segments. However considering only a narrow segment of developers then in that sense they could be considered the best by a few people depending on the subjective criteria.

That's "clearly" your opinion though, which is what he's trying to explain to you.

Clearly Miyamoto is considered the greatest developer of all time. Since hes still producing work then clearly in a console sense he is head, shoulders, torso, hips, legs and knees and ankles above Naughty Dog.

Clearly...

And that "clearly"  disproves nothing or anyone.

The fact that gamedevelopers widely say Miyamoto is the best though, as do players... and basically everybody in the Free World... would seem to indicate Miyamoto would be the best.

He ain't my favorite developer... but it'd be intellectually dishonest to claim he wasn't the greatest developer currently around.

It's actually very intellectually dishonest to even attempt an arguement as far as I can tell.  His accomplishments both critically and in the "mass market" so dwarf any other person that there really isn't any room for an honest debate.

It's like trying to argue who the best NBA team was during the Michael Jordan era of basketball.

If your answer isn't the Bulls... you aren't being honest with yourself.

Kasz216 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

The opinion was that they are the best console developer. Clearly they are not in a wider sense of the definition because you'd have to consider all console developers for all market segments. However considering only a narrow segment of developers then in that sense they could be considered the best by a few people depending on the subjective criteria.

That's "clearly" your opinion though, which is what he's trying to explain to you.

Clearly Miyamoto is considered the greatest developer of all time. Since hes still producing work then clearly in a console sense he is head, shoulders, torso, hips, legs and knees and ankles above Naughty Dog.

Clearly...

The fact that gamedevelopers widely say Miyamoto is the best though, as do players... and basically everybody in the Free World... would seem to indicate Miyamoto would be the best.

He ain't my favorite developer... but it'd be intellectually dishonest to claim he wasn't the greatest developer currently around.

It's actually very intellectually dishonest to even attempt an arguement as far as I can tell.  His accomplishments both critically and in the "mass market" so dwarf any other person that there really isn't any room for an honest debate.

It's like trying to argue who the best NBA team was during the Michael Jordan era of basketball.

Who the best may depend on your criteria for 'best' developer.

He may be the best creative  or most popular developer , but I'm not sure if he would qualify for the best technical developer.

I.E. if you look at Carmack he pretty much invented FPS which was technically very challenging.

I don't think you can be intellectually honest or dishonest without a criteria by which you set your standards. I'm sure you have yours I'm just being argumentative =P

Around the Network

i agree, ND, the best developer this gen.

they make quality games and also, even they release DLC like others developers out there, ND DLC stuffs cost way cheaper which i love about them.

silicon said:
Kasz216 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

Clearly...

Who the best may depend on your criteria for 'best' developer.

He may be the best creative  or most popular developer , but I'm not sure if he would qualify for the best technical developer.

I.E. if you look at Carmack he pretty much invented FPS which was technically very challenging.

I don't think you can be intellectually honest or dishonest without a criteria by which you set your standards. I'm sure you have yours I'm just being argumentative =P

If you hold said criteria, it would need to be stated upfront.  I'm talking about an overall Criteria.

Using the baketball analogy again...

It's the difference between saying best Basketball player, and best SG.

If you meant soley from a technical level you would have to say so.

I'm talking about all factors of design combined.

Additionally, a lot of what Miyamoto has done was inventive and genre creating/defining.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:

Clearly...

By these standards:

Article:

You: Its only an opinion

Done.

Dismissed.

If opinions don't matter then this whole thread is irrelevant so why are you here?

Tease.

Really I don't get all of this praise for Uncharted 2, it's a good game but I wouldn't give it more than 8.5 on my book....I have nothing against naughty dog, even if they aren't my favourite developers they're among the best...still I think that Crash Bandicoot and Jak&Daxter were much better, Uncharted is the series I like the least from them.

Just off the top of my head, Nintendo, Valve, Blizzard, and maybe BioWare are all better developers.