By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Move is “Wii-too”

Dno said:
who cares who copied who.. sony (IMO) is doing it right because we have hardcore games... AND they give me a choice to play them with or without the controller. Sony has my money on this controller.

Did they have your money on SIXAXIS too?  Will this be any more successful? 

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Around the Network

It's clearly just an adaptation/improvement on the Wii remote and nunchuck.

Yes, the tech works on the reverse principle (camera tracks movement and light from controller rather than camera from controller tracks IR light from sensor) which theoretically makes depth perception possible, and there are enough differences to make the product original enough to avoid a lawsuit, but in practice, they work pretty similarly.

Once you get your head unwrapped from the "only original ideas are worthwhile" fixation, you're brought back to the OTHER point that Reggie brings up: it ultimately depends entirely upon the games that use it.

That's all that matters.

Poor support; Move may as well not exist.

Provide support in the form of games that the Wii has been slow to provide; gamers now have reason to use one platform over the other.

lol it does not matter if it is new technology what matters is that it looks like the Wii Mote and it does the same thing but better they say... :P

it is not bad when you say the true thing unlike sony claiming they came up with motion first which is wrong as Nintendo had this motion stuff 19 years ago with the power glove.

so yes it is a Wii Too product

and then people say Nintendo is going to copy them by going HD next gen well lol of course they are going to go HD and it is not a copy the way people say it is as it is a natural evolution of what a machine should display. but as far as controllers go it is a choice not something people expect but when it is done others copy depending on it's success

i think most people are annoyed on the fact that what Nintendo does Sony does like the rumble and the analog stick or the d-pad and now the move wow sony you sure are creative.

now i used to get bothered by this but it is silly, though it is fun to take a stab on sony fans who try spin things around just like there father company does.

go Reggie!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Man these threads sure are fun to read. All the bitching and moaning about what someone said about another system indirectly. Nice, I wonder what would happen if he threw a PS3 on the ground.

leatherhat said:
Lastgengamer said:

The Regginator’s offensive against PlayStation Move continues, with the Nintendo of America boss now calling the motion controller a “Wii-Too” effort from Sony.

“Looking at what PlayStation is doing, it feels very ‘Wii-too,’” said the exec, talking to the LA Times.

“In terms of Microsoft, we’ll see when they actually show off their software. I think our competitors will be challenged in a number of ways: bringing fun experiences to life, because in the end that’s what the consumer wants.

“Our competitors will be challenged on providing the great value we have always provided. Our consumers have a system that they love. Is that consumer suddenly going to stop and go do something else?”

Reggie’s been a vociferous detractor of Move since it was announced at GDC in San Francisco earlier this month, saying you won’t need one if you have a Wii, that he’s flattered at Sony’s “imitation” and that Nintendo would be “embarrassed” to be bringing out motion devices this year.

Move’s out this autumn. But Reggie doesn’t care. Obviously.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/22/reggie-move-is-wii-too/

I agree with this bolded part, because games like God of war are just so not fun. 

Are you... fucking kidding me? You don't like being a badass swinging swords, epic combats, scaling giant gods, etc? You're either 8 or 50 y/o. I can't figure what one.

Around the Network
binary solo said:

I seem to recall mentioning that "potential Wii audience" you speak of in my post. In case you missed it, here it is again 'And people yet to get into this generation can say. "Cool, I can get excellent HD games AND Wiimote style games all in one package" *does the maths* "Yep and it'll be cheaper overall to get PS3+Move than to get PS3 + Wii"'. Such people will say the same thing about Natal, and it'll be the cheapest of all HD+motion control options to boot; which is why Kevin Butler had to talk smack about Natal. Fact is Move (and Natal) are seeking to make inroads into that not yet fully tapped out market you mention. A market that heretofore was solely Nintendo's. Reggie would be stupid to not to worry, because the motion control hardware Sony and MS have produced are every bit as good as Wii's, which means Wii stands to lose a substantial amount of the blue ocean if they don't front foot it.

42% of PS3 owners already have a Wii as well.  Meanwhile just 14% of Wii owners have a PS3.  This is why you hear Sony PR already pushing the "graduate to Move" path for Wii owners, and mindless analysts parroting it for their "PS3 eventually takes over" narrative they've been trying to sell the past four years.  They're not trying to sell people who've yet to buy a console, they're literally trying to sell to current Wii owners.

If consumers are in the market for an HD console and a console with motion controls, 360+Wii comes out to the same price as PS3+Move, and the former has by far the better library (Wii vs Move moreso than 360 vs PS3).  The mainstream wants Wii Fit and Mario, which is what your scenario seems to omit; it's the software stupid.

i love reading these threads they entertain me lol... what will you do if you work at Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo and an interviewer ask ya a question about the competitors? your comments will mainly be negative, tretton from Sony talks trash to Microsoft and Nintendo all the time in an interview

LoveGenie said:
leatherhat said:
Lastgengamer said:

The Regginator’s offensive against PlayStation Move continues, with the Nintendo of America boss now calling the motion controller a “Wii-Too” effort from Sony.

“Looking at what PlayStation is doing, it feels very ‘Wii-too,’” said the exec, talking to the LA Times.

“In terms of Microsoft, we’ll see when they actually show off their software. I think our competitors will be challenged in a number of ways: bringing fun experiences to life, because in the end that’s what the consumer wants.

“Our competitors will be challenged on providing the great value we have always provided. Our consumers have a system that they love. Is that consumer suddenly going to stop and go do something else?”

Reggie’s been a vociferous detractor of Move since it was announced at GDC in San Francisco earlier this month, saying you won’t need one if you have a Wii, that he’s flattered at Sony’s “imitation” and that Nintendo would be “embarrassed” to be bringing out motion devices this year.

Move’s out this autumn. But Reggie doesn’t care. Obviously.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/22/reggie-move-is-wii-too/

I agree with this bolded part, because games like God of war are just so not fun. 

Are you... fucking kidding me? You don't like being a badass swinging swords, epic combats, scaling giant gods, etc? You're either 8 or 50 y/o. I can't figure what one.

This is why its so dangerous to use sarcasm on the internet

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

As someone who's been calling it a Wii too before they showed just how wii tooish it even was, I'm glad this term is getting picked up.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

OMG! On that Picture he looks exactly like Goh Hamazaki from Yakuza 3

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’