By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Molyneux: PS Move “not as big a step as Natal”

PlayStation Move isn’t as great an advanced as Natal, Peter Molyneux’s told Eurogamer at GDC, following the PS3 motion controller’s reveal at the San Franciscan show earlier this week.

“We’re not really surprised, are we?” said the Lionghead boss when asked of his opinions on the peripheral.

“I mean, at E3 last year we saw they were having a wand, and that’s kind of what I expected. It looks like they’ve taken a step forward but it’s not as big a step as something like Natal, I don’t think.

“This is purely me talking personally, but I think maybe it’s slightly more a device for the core than it is for the casual market, because I think it’s quite precise.”

Molyneux’s Fable III uses Natal in an as yet undisclosed way, with both Natal and Move hitting before the end of the year.

The developer conceded he was interested in Move as a game-maker, but felt the device might “confuse” consumers.

“As a designer it’s another one of those things I’d love to get my hands on and to play around with,” he added.

“As a consumer, everyone’s talking about motion control now – I mean, I’m starting to get confused. It’s kind of like the arms race, with the Wii MotionPlus and now the Sony Move and now I’m getting kind of confused.”

Hit this for everything on Move’s GDC announcement. Fable III releases later this year.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/12/molyneux-ps-move-not-as-big-a-step-as-natal/

Around the Network

Who agrees/disagrees with Peter Molyneux?

i disagree he supports microsoft hellz he wud say things to help natal + he is making shiz for it

the first part is fair ... really fair I mean

but, when he mentions "confusion" then it becomes ... useless and crap.
Isn't MS also involving in the confusion around motion control since they are also making a ....
.... .... motion controler ?

Time to Work !

He's quite right. As I've said in other threads this isn't all good though. Natal is trying to establish a whole new approach whereas Sony is basically re-enforcing the message from Nintendo and simply trying to make PS3 look like a viable alternative with some bits and bobs.

Natal, the way MS is pushing it, isn't an alternative but the next step, effectively outdating Wii mechanics.

If MS get it right they could do very well, but they are taking the far riskier approach and could easily fall flat with Nintendo continuing to clean up, Sony getting a space at the table and sharing third party games and Natal the odd one out appealing to just a niche of existing 360 owners.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Fair response IMO.

so natal its 1-1 i guess?

but i don't think its really more advance,

both use camera to do motion sensing, same tech sony have from ps2 days, eye pet u don't even need a controller, u can go through menus by hand.

the thing is camera alone it's really accurate,  sony saw this and added a control for more precision, and feedback, microsoft ignored all that, and went for a IR Sensor, but there is a catch natal will never be as accurate as the ps.move.

in the end they just found a different solution for the same problem.

ps.move will have face/voice recognition, and won't need control for some things. SKU are ready it does 1-1 motion tracking with the wand.

This is some better PR.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Maybe originality is not the only thing that matters.

"I think, they should make a console that is shaped like a pink cone, and it is controlled with your tongue. It should only have games about geology and astronomy."

See? I'm more innovative than Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft.

Yeah...