Forums - Sony Discussion - This could be Sony's PS3 WAND Motion Controller

NoCtiS_NoX said:
binary solo said:
Whatever it looks like it better come with sturdy wrist straps. If there's one thing Sony needs to learn from Nintendo's Wiimote it's that.

I do hope the knob end is diminished in prominence somehow.

It does have a strap.

Hmmm... so the Sony dildo wand is going to come with a strap on

?



Around the Network
hsrob said:
specialops787 said:
hsrob said:
specialops787 said:
binary solo said:
Whatever it looks like it better come with sturdy wrist straps. If there's one thing Sony needs to learn from Nintendo's Wiimote it's that.

I do hope the knob end is diminished in prominence somehow.

wrist strap is only needed if you're an r-tard. i've never had a problem (though I do force other people to use them).

When it's 35 degrees, 80% humidity and you are getting a little more involved in WSR sword duelling than you'd like to admit, you'll be glad for the wrist strap;)

Make it 31 degrees and make that humidity a snow storm...then MAYBE I would have a problem holding on. But only due to my hand being frozen.

I have a feeling we could be talking about different degrees ;)

Crazy people and their metric.

P.S. Are you hitting on me when you wink like that?



specialops787 said:
Tridrakious said:
superchunk said:
One bad thing about that design is it require a right and left version of the controller. It would be far better if they were neutral. If you don't understand what I'm saying, notice how they connect. They require usb ports on the inside, thus a left vs right design.

Most companies would strive for a single product that could do both halves.


Well this is a mock up. Not even a design that Sony is working on.

I will say that I wasn't thinking about a left handed approach to this idea, but then again the industry never really thinks about it either. Right handed dominance has been here for awhile.

I think he's more talking about having it neutral so that sony wouldn't have to produce 2 different wands where everything is the same except 4 of the buttons look different.


Companies don't make 2 different setups now.



I think it looks comfortable but the balls need to shrink.

EDIT:

I love the placement of the sticks. When i'm playing tekken I use my index and middle finger which makes it easy to input moves that require 2 buttons and perform combos that require good timing. Often my index would come into contact with my right analogue and it would just feel sorta distracting.

In shooters where you use dual sticks for movement and looking around and then face button for actions and inventory, this would be big improvement to keep things face paced. Always hated taking my thumb off the analogue to press a button meaning i'd have to stop moving or stop looking around for a second. Now I could just bend my finger during certain instants, and in others the time it would take the press that button and go back to the analogue would be alot shorter meaning your character won't pause as long on screen.

I could see that controll layout as an improvement for quite a few games actually. 

Second EDIT:

I just noticed that because of the size of the balls, while the full thing is together there's very little or probably no space to charge the controller using the middle port of the connector.

1) The balls need to shrink.
2) Both controllers have USB ports on BOTH sides so not only can you connect it without needing to make sure each end is in the right place but you can also charge from these sides.
3) The USB port should be placed on the other end of the connector.

I think number 2 would work best. 



4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
I think it looks comfortable but the balls need to shrink.


......that's....interesting to say the least......



Around the Network

Nice idea, the person who thought it up should be a member of Sony's HW division. Unfortunately, the design would be very pricey per controller. as the light illumination /tracking on both parts of the controls would easily put the controller over $100. Also, a thumb stick where the action buttons are (X, O, etc) would be extremely ineffective. If they scrap the ball on the left side, it could be possible. The issue here is that as its an attachment with a thumb stick device, it would be in violation of Nintendo's nunchuck patent.

E for effort.



bardicverse said:
Nice idea, the person who thought it up should be a member of Sony's HW division. Unfortunately, the design would be very pricey per controller. as the light illumination /tracking on both parts of the controls would easily put the controller over $100. Also, a thumb stick where the action buttons are (X, O, etc) would be extremely ineffective. If they scrap the ball on the left side, it could be possible. The issue here is that as its an attachment with a thumb stick device, it would be in violation of Nintendo's nunchuck patent.

E for effort.

I don't see why illumination and tracking of both parts would put it over $100. The illumination should be dirt cheap, the internal tracking is not very different from what the Wii does.

 



My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
bardicverse said:
Nice idea, the person who thought it up should be a member of Sony's HW division. Unfortunately, the design would be very pricey per controller. as the light illumination /tracking on both parts of the controls would easily put the controller over $100. Also, a thumb stick where the action buttons are (X, O, etc) would be extremely ineffective. If they scrap the ball on the left side, it could be possible. The issue here is that as its an attachment with a thumb stick device, it would be in violation of Nintendo's nunchuck patent.

E for effort.

I don't see why illumination and tracking of both parts would put it over $100. The illumination should be dirt cheap, the internal tracking is not very different from what the Wii does.

 

Its what puts the Wii remote at a higher cost, so now double that and factor in profit. Lets say it costs $20 to make a Wii remote. If the tech is similar/the same for the wand (which we already know theres added illumination parts, so its slightly more) then we need to double that $20 for the double tech, so $40 manufactuing cost, plus MSRP profit range at another $15-$20, and then retail markup for store profit, another $10-$20. SO you're looking at anything from $70-$100 for one controller possibly.



Tridrakious said:
Dgc1808 said:
I think it looks comfortable but the balls need to shrink.


......that's....interesting to say the least......

i agree because Motion controller games are not VERY MANLY for hardcore gamerz/



I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Tridrakious said:
Dgc1808 said:
I think it looks comfortable but the balls need to shrink.


......that's....interesting to say the least......

LOL!! I thought the same thing too when I read that.



Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!