Forums - General Discussion - VG Chartz You get to help me decide my future!!!

Yes, that is right, I am at a point in my life where I have six options. But first, let me give you a few things to think about. 

I am married, have a 16 month old daughter, and another baby on the way. 

I am unemployed

I went to college to be a machinist and am still paying off those student loans

I love music, I play a few diferant instruments and have set up, fixed, and improved both my acoustic and my electric guitar.


So, I am a machinist by trade, I have three years under my belt, am fairly skilled (many times besting machinists many years my superior) and my resume has been padded nicely. 

However, my true passion lies in music, I have a burning desire to start a music store.

So, here are my options. 

I can, find a machining job in Minneapolis (where I lived up until three weeks ago)

I can find a machining job in Rochester (the area where I now reside)

I can find a machining job in Texas (where I REALLY want to live)

I can start a music store in Minneapolis

I can start a music store in Lanesboro (a small artsy town by my small town)

I can start a music store in Texas.

 

Help me choose!!!



Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network

You're in bad shape if you're really going to decide your future like this...



Akvod said:
You're in bad shape if you're really going to decide your future like this...

No truer words have ever been spoken.



Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Why don't you combine the two trades? You could probably make a decent living doing repair work on guitars. I know a guy that does that here for a few of the local shops. He's done all the work on my Ibanez.



makingmusic476 said:
Why don't you combine the two trades? You could probably make a decent living doing repair work on guitars. I know a guy that does that here for a few of the local shops. He's done all the work on my Ibanez.

Well, the repair would obviously be a portion of the music store. Plus I am going to be prototyping Microphone casings for a joint venture between my dad (a sound technician) and my uncle, and electronics genius. But that is still months if not years away. 



Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network
ironman said:
makingmusic476 said:
Why don't you combine the two trades? You could probably make a decent living doing repair work on guitars. I know a guy that does that here for a few of the local shops. He's done all the work on my Ibanez.

Well, the repair would obviously be a portion of the music store. Plus I am going to be prototyping Microphone casings for a joint venture between my dad (a sound technician) and my uncle, and electronics genius. But that is still months if not years away. 

If you have family prepared to back you up, I say open a business.  It'll be rough, especially at first, but with the right people and right planning, it can be quite successful.

Just avoid any towns with Guitar Centers!



why are you making more babies when you don't have a job?



A machinist is a good skill to have, but if you've done it at University for three years and don't like it then it wont be much good unless you use it.

That said, if you have your business brain on you, and you are confident that you can make money, the I say music store.



After a good time thinking about it and going to an expert:

music store in Lanesboro

That's your future...

and here is my expert if you want to talk about it:



 

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)