Quantcast
In-depth comparison of the big three's motion controllers.

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In-depth comparison of the big three's motion controllers.

one of the problems withing NATAL is that the technology sacrificed outputs in order to make a very good input device. Two technologies where thrown out in order to bring one in (I don't consider voice recognition brought in because Ubisoft used it first).

The problem here is that the feedback to the player went down the toilet with this camera. Now everything is just reduced to audio and video to deliver that feedback when on Xbox 360 there was one more with the rumble controllers to let you know how hard you hit something in the game.



Around the Network
dahuman said:
well, it's just from what you have described, it's still the same firmware analogy that I typed up in another thread, it's a specialized I/O device with some advanced camera tech, I'm still not seeing anything that's truly different. so I was asking if you had any hard document on it so I can check but meh.... guess we have to remain in speculation until next year.

http://www.gesturetek.com/3ddepth/introduction.php

Check out some of their tech demos and papers. Microsoft used GestureTek technology in Natal. Sony actually uses part of their API in the EyeToy but it is very limited and can't do the things which Natal can do. It's 2D vs 3D. 



Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

the_bloodwalker said:
one of the problems withing NATAL is that the technology sacrificed outputs in order to make a very good input device. Two technologies where thrown out in order to bring one in (I don't consider voice recognition brought in because Ubisoft used it first).

The problem here is that the feedback to the player went down the toilet with this camera. Now everything is just reduced to audio and video to deliver that feedback when on Xbox 360 there was one more with the rumble controllers to let you know how hard you hit something in the game.


Hmmm, I am not fully sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying Natal isn't responsive? I can't comment on whether or not it is, but there is no reason why it would be. A reporter had the chance to play Burnout using the Natal controls and he said it felt very smooth and he didn't notice any input lag.

EDIT: And on that note, I am going to bed. I'll check back in the morning but I suspect that this thread will probably be swarming with people posting comments that are less than intelligent. 



Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

jetrii said:


Hmmm, I am not fully sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying Natal isn't responsive? I can't comment on whether or not it is, but there is no reason why it would be. A reporter had the chance to play Burnout using the Natal controls and he said it felt very smooth and he didn't notice any input lag.

EDIT: And on that note, I am going to bed. I'll check back in the morning but I suspect that this thread will probably be swarming with people posting comments that are less than intelligent. 

No, it is resposive, but there is no way to deliver feedback to the players except from the audio and video, that's less output to the player than rumble feature and pressure sensitive buttons (like triggers). Unless another device is included and in that sense it will be somilat ro Sony's concept



the_bloodwalker said:
jetrii said:


Hmmm, I am not fully sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying Natal isn't responsive? I can't comment on whether or not it is, but there is no reason why it would be. A reporter had the chance to play Burnout using the Natal controls and he said it felt very smooth and he didn't notice any input lag.

EDIT: And on that note, I am going to bed. I'll check back in the morning but I suspect that this thread will probably be swarming with people posting comments that are less than intelligent. 

No, it is resposive, but there is no way to deliver feedback to the players except from the audio and video, that's less output to the player than rumble feature and pressure sensitive buttons (like triggers). Unless another device is included and in that sense it will be somilat ro Sony's concept

Ah, now I understand what you mean. And yea, I agree, I imagine some things would feel pretty shallow. If you're using your finger as a gun and have to flick it back to shoot, I can imagine that being enough feedback. However, just holding on to a fake wheel would probably feel a bit too fake for my taste. Honestly, I am more excited about the technology and the cool little tech demoes than actually playing a game with this. I would love to whip out that drawing game when I am with friends and maybe navigate the menus with my hand, but I still prefer a normal controller.

If Microsoft really wants to blow people away, they should let you use your normal controller but add headtracking to the game. With a 3D camera, you wouldn't need anything else for 3D headtracking. That would blow away anything Sony and Nintendo have.



Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Around the Network

thank for your answer, jetrii

correct me if i am wrong
so basically, eye toy is also the device to detect the LED light coming out of both wands
but for the wii, the camera (or detector) is actually built inside of the Wiimote, and the light coming out of the sensor bar

does it mean using wiimote is more suitable to play games with a group of people, because each Wiimote detects the same light source
but for eyetoy/wand, each player has to hold a wand with LED light that has different wavelength
is that right?



It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

uh, so I was right on the ball park when I said it was an advanced camera that captures at high frame rate at a good resolution with it being software driven for the most after all =_=; , and yes I'm aware that the zcam had IR sensing.



dahuman said:
uh, so I was right on the ball park when I said it was an advanced camera that captures at high frame rate at a good resolution with it being software driven for the most after all =_=; , and yes I'm aware that the zcam had IR sensing.

No, you are completely out of the ballpark. This simply cannot be done with a normal camera and requires very advanced hardware. Ignore the camera in Natal, it is only being used so you can see yourself. None of the tracking uses the camera at all, it is all done with the 3D depth sensor. If you hold an oject in front of a normal camera, it can't tell you how large or how far the object it. Natal is capable to tell how you far the object, how big it is, the shape, etc. It basically creates a 3D model of the object and detects its movements. 



Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

the natal may be more advanced.. infact yes it is, but the ps eye can do a lot of the same things that it can. Just look at eye pet.



Check out my game about moles ^

gergroy said:
Random Person B said:

For games microsoft is probably the worst one.
For one simple reason.

Not all video games are played alone


I don't understand what you are trying to say. The camera can pick up multiple people. They showed whole families playing a trivia game with one camera, as well as one person acting as the pit crew in the racing game, so... I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Of all of them, microsoft is probably the best because you don't have to buy a remote for each person that wants to play.

The video showing that family playing a trivia game was a concept video All of it was scripted. The important thing about the video was to introduce the possible concepts that could be done with such a device. There is no indication that the current natal can detect multiple people. No where in the live usage did it show any indication it could detect multiple people. If natal works as jetrii says, then there is no way it can differentiate. It at best can make an educated guess. As it is now, it has a way to go before it is fit for video game usage. (multiplayer that is)