I figured that since PC gaming has a lot of quality free games to offer, perhaps PC gamers have missed out on some of these nice freebies.
I'm listing them in one thread so that PC gamers can get their game on the cheap - especially while waiting for all the new PC and console games to be released.
If you have any other games to add, please do so, provided that:
- Any game that can be legitimately downloaded and does not cost anything to own can be included.
- As per forum rules, please don't post any warez or torrent stuff if it's illegal.
- Links to websites or pages that have free, legally-acquired games are also welcome.
- No links to Flash, Java or browser-based games please!
[ First-Person Shooters ]
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
If you have an ATI card (or even if you have Nvidia I believe it still works)
Other free FPS games
[ Games No Longer Distributed ]
...but can still be found "legally online" - for more details, visit Liberated Games. For example, technically you cannot download Betrayal at Krondor anymore because Vivendi Universal holds the license rights, but then again, you can still find Betrayal at Krondor at many reputable sites, including Download.com and Softpedia.com.
- B-17 Flying Fortress (1992), a flight simulation game by MicroProse.
- Betrayal at Krondor (1993), a role-playing game by Sierra.
- Caesar (1993), a city-building game by Sierra.
- Gateway (1992), an adventure game by Legend Entertainment.
- Red Baron 3D (1998), a flight game by Sierra.
- Zork I, Zork II, Zork III, and Zork: The Undiscovered Underground, text adventure games by Activision.
[ Commercial Games Released as Freeware ]
- Abuse (1996), a side scrolling shooter.
- Akalabeth (1979), a.k.a "Ultima 0", an RPG by Lord British.
- Alien Carnage (1994), a.k.a Halloween Harry, a side-scrolling platform game published by Apogee Software.
- Allegiance (2000), a multiplayer space shooter / RTS by Microsoft Research.
- Battlecruiser 3000AD (1996), a space simulation game by Derek Smart.
- Battlecruiser Millennium (2003), a space simulation game by Derek Smart.
- BC Kid (1992), a horizontal platform game by Factor 5.
- BC Racers (1993), a racing game by Core Design.
- Beneath a Steel Sky (1994), an adventure game by Revolution Software, released to support the ScummVM Project.
- Beyond the Titanic (1986), a text adventure game by Apogee Software, re-released as freeware in March, 1998.
- Bio Menace (1993), a side-scrolling platform game by Apogee Software, released as freeware in December, 2005.
- Boppin' (1994), a puzzle game published by Apogee Software, released as freeware in 2005.
- Castle of the Winds (1989), a tile based RPG for Windows 3.x, written by SaadaSoft.
- Castle Infinity (1996), a MMOG by Starwave.
- Caves of Thor (1989), a maze game by Apogee Software.
- Defender of the Crown (1986), a strategy game by Cinemaware.
- Dink Smallwood (1997), an RPG by RTsoft, released as freeware on 17 October 1999.
- Elite (1987), space trading game by Acornsoft, freeware release in 1999 courtesy of game developer Ian Bell.
- Elite + (1991), space trading game by Acornsoft, freeware release in 1999 courtesy of game developer Ian Bell.
- Enemy Nations (1997), a real-time strategy game by Windward Studios.
- F.E.A.R. Combat (2006), the multiplayer portion of F.E.A.R., by Monolith Productions.
- Flight of the Amazon Queen (1995), an adventure game by Interactive Binary Illusions, released to support the ScummVM Project.
- FreeSpace 2 (1999), a space combat sim published by Interplay.
- Hardwired (a pre-release version of Red Zone) (1994), a shooter by Zyrinx for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis.
- Heros: The Sanguine Seven (1993) released for free by the author in 2005.
- Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe (1999), a game by Illusion Softworks, released for free as promotion for the sequel Hidden & Dangerous 2.
- Ken's Labyrinth (1993), a first-person shooter by Ken Silverman.
- Katakis (1987), a side scrolling shoot-em-up arcade game by Factor 5.
- King of Chicago (1987), an action adventure strategy game by Cinemaware.
- Major Stryker (1993), a scrolling-shooter game by Apogee Software, released as freeware in March 2006.
- Marathon Trilogy, a series of first-person shooter games by Bungie.
- Netstorm (1997), a real time strategy game by Titanic Entertainment/Activision, released as freeware in 2002.
- One Must Fall: 2097 (1994), classic fighting game by Diversions Entertaintment, declared freeware on February 10, 1999.
- Railroad Tycoon Deluxe (1993), an economic simulation game by MicroProse.
- R-Type (1987), a side scrolling shoot-em-up arcade game. The Amiga version (1989) is freely downloadable at Factor 5's website.
- Savage: The Battle for Newerth (2004), a blend of FPS and RTS gameplay by S2 Games.
- S.D.I (1987), an action adventure game by Cinemaware.
- Shadowbane (2003), a fantasy MMORPG by Ubisoft, released as freeware in 2006.
- SkyRoads (1993), a platform puzzle game by Bluemoon Interactive.
- Stargunner (1996), a scrolling shooter game by Apogee Software, released as freeware in 2005.
- Starsiege: Tribes (1998), a first-person shooter game by Dynamix/Sierra On-Line, released as freeware in May 2004 as publicity for the release of Tribes: Vengeance.
- Supaplex (1991), a Boulder Dash-like puzzle game by Michael Stopp and Philip Jespersen.
- Supernova (1987), a text adventure game by Apogee Software, re-released as freeware in March, 1998.
- S.W.I.N.E. (2001), a real-time tactics game by StormRegion, released as freeware (S.W.I.N.E. Free Christmas Edition) in 2005.
- The Adventures of Robby Roto! (1981), an arcade game by Bally Midway.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena (1994), an RPG game by Bethesda Softworks, floppy disk version released as freeware in 2004 to mark the 10th anniversary of the TES series, and as publicity release prior to the 4th installment, Oblivion.
- Tribes 2 (2001), a first-person shooter game by Dynamix/Sierra On-Line, free download release in 2004 as publicity for the release of Tribes: Vengeance.
- Trivia Whiz (1988), a trivia game by Apogee Software.
- Turboraketti II (1993), a cavern-flying game by Heikki Kosola.
- Tyrian (1999), a space shooter by Epic MegaGames, released as freeware by its author Jason Emery in 2004.
- Warzone 2100, a 3D Real-Time Strategy set on a post apocalyptic Earth.
- Wings (1990), a flying game by Cinemaware.
- Wings v1.40 (Cavern-flying) (1999), a cavern-flying game by Miika Virpioja.
- Word Whiz (1988), a trivia game by Apogee Software.
- Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport (1995), a fighting game by Argo Games/Apogee Software, released as freeware in 2006.
[ Open Source Games ]
- Abuse is a side-scrolling action game by Crack dot Com.
- Adventure is the original text adventure game by Crowther and Woods.
- Allegiance is a multiplayer, online-only RTS/SpaceCombat hybrid originally developed by Microsoft Research.
- Apophis is a first-person shooter game.
- Armagetron Advanced is a multiplayer, 3D Tron lightcycle racing game.
- Battle for Wesnoth is an open-source strategy game with RPG elements.
- Blob Wars: Metal Blob Solid is a platform game.
- BZFlag is a free multiplayer multiplatform 3D tank battle game.
- C-evo is an empire-building game for Windows.
- Crack Attack! is a free OpenGL game based on Tetris Attack.
- Crimson Fields is a tactical war game in the tradition of Battle Isle.
- Crossfire is an open-source MMORPG.
- Darwinbots is an artificial life simulator.
- Digital Paint: Paintball 2 is a first person shooter based on the Quake 2 engine.
- Dnafight is a programming game.
- FlightGear is a multi-platform flight simulator.
- Freeciv is a clone of Civilization II.
- FreeCol is a remake of Colonization.
- FreeDoom is a set of open source graphics files for open source versions of the Doom engine
- FreeOrion is a multiplayer, turn-based strategy computer game, inspired by the Master of Orion series.
- Frets on Fire is a cross-platform game based on Guitar Hero.
- Frozen Bubble is a Puzzle Bobble type game.
- Glest is a cross-platform RTS.
- Globulation 2 is a cross-platform RTS.
- GLtron is a light cycle racing game.
- GNU Chess is a chess program. Xboard (a.k.a. Winboard) is an open-source front-end for it.
- GNU Go is a free program that plays the game of Go.
- Gusanos is a clone of Liero.
- HoverRace is an online multiplayer hovercraft racing game that was once shareware.
- Several games are included in KDE; for instance:
- Lincity (and its successor LinCity-NG) is a city building game like SimCity.
- Liquid War is a realtime competitive game based on directing liquid particles around a complex environment.
- NetHack is a roguelike RPG.
- Netrek is a multiplayer hybrid shooter and real time strategy game.
- Neverball is a 3D platform game similar to Super Monkey Ball.
- Nexuiz is a multiplayer first person shooter.
- Oolite is a recreation of the classic Elite, with updated graphics.
- OpenArena is a first-person shooter based on id Tech 3.
- OpenTTD is an open source port of the Chris Sawyer game Transport Tycoon Deluxe
- Pingus is a real-time puzzle game inspired by Lemmings.
- Project: Starfighter is a two-dimensional, non-linear space shooter with an intricate plot.
- PySol is a card based game with many features.
- Rocks'n'Diamonds is an open-source, cross-platform, arcade game that contains clones of Boulder Dash, Emerald Mine, Supaplex and Sokoban.
- Rogue is the origin of the roguelike genre.
- rRootage is an abstract scrolling shooter game.
- Sauerbraten is a Quake-like first-person shooter
- Scorched 3D is a game based on the classic DOS game Scorched Earth.
- Slash'EM is a branch of NetHack.
- Solarwolf is a 2d action arcade game.
- Sopwith is a side-scrolling shoot-'em-up.
- Spring is a 3D remake of the Total Annihilation RTS game, fully compatible with the original game's units.
- Stendhal is an open-source multiplayer online adventure game (MMORPG) using the Arianne framework.
- StepMania is a simulator of dance games, mainly Dance Dance Revolution.
- SuperTux is a classic 2D jump and run game.
- TEG (Tenés Empanadas Graciela) is an open-source Risk-like game.
- Thousand Parsec is a project with the goal of creating a framework for turn-based space empire building games.
- Tile World is a clone of Chip's Challenge made by Brian Raiter.
- ToME is a roguelike game based on J.R.R. Tolkien's work.
- TORCS is an open-source, cross-platform racing car simulator.
- TripleA is an Axis & Allies based game.
- Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans.
- Tux Racer is a 3D OpenGL racing game starring the Linux mascot.
- UFO: Alien Invasion is a 3D, turn-based strategy game that pits humans against aliens.
- UltraStar is a SingStar clone.
- Ur-Quan Masters is the classic Star Control 2 game, re-released under the GPL license.
- Vega Strike is a 3D space shooter/strategy game which combines trading, bounty hunting and exploration.
- Vulture's Eye & Vulture's Claw are graphical versions of two roguelike games (NetHack and Slash'EM respectively).
- Warzone 2100 is a RTS very different from the standard C&C or StarCraft approach.
- Wormux is an open source worms clone.
- XBlast is a multiplayer Bomberman-like game.
- Xconq is a generic turn-based strategic game.
- XEvil is a 2D side scroller with an excessive amount of violence.
- X-Moto is a 2D motorbike game.
- XPilot is a multiplayer asteroids-like game.
[ Freeware Games ]
- Allegiance Online is a space shooter/strategy game.
- Apophis is an open source science fiction first-person shooter game.
- AssaultCube is an open source conversion of Cube.
- Alien Arena 2007 is a multiplayer online deathmatch game.
- America's Army, a first-person shooter developed and distributed by US Army.
- Angband, a roguelike descended from Moria with a large number of variants (in the process of moving to the GPL).
- ADOM, a rogue-like game (technically postcardware as opposed to freeware)
- Audition Online, an online dancing game.
- Battle for Wesnoth, is a free open-source turn based strategy game
- Betrayal at Krondor, free RPG for DOS by Sierra Studios, based on Raymond E Feist's Riftwar series.
- Blobbo Lite
- Braminar is a text adventure for DOS from the 1980s.
- BVE Trainsim, free Railroad Simulator created by Mackoy of Japan.
- BZFlag, a multiplayer game with tanks driving around trying to shoot at each other and capture the other teams flag.
- Cave Story, a free side scrolling adventure game.
- C-evo, a free Civilization II clone.
- Chzo Mythos, four separate adventure games, 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes and 6 Days a Sacrifice.
- CodeRED: Alien Arena, a free deathmatch shooter.
- Cube is a free, first-person shooter with both single-player and multiplayer gameplay.
- DinoHunters a comedic, free FPS based on the Source Engine
- D-Day: Normandy is a standalone, multiplayer WW2 FPS game.
- Dwarf Fortress is a fantasy ASCII game.
- Eastside Hockey Manager, a hockey manager game.
- Eternal Daughter, a Castlevania-esque adventure game.
- Eternal Lands, a Free 3D MMORPG.
- FlightGear, A free, detailed flight simulator that competes with commercial flight simulators.
- Frets on Fire, a Guitar Hero Clone.
- FreeCiv, a multiplayer, turn-based game inspired by Sid Meier's Civilization.
- Gate88 – An Asteroids-style real-time strategy game.
- General – A strategy game with text interface.
- Gunroar – A scrolling shooter with abstract 3D graphics and an innovative control method.
- Gunster – A multiplayer scrolling shooter.
- Gunz online – An online third-person shooter.
- History Channel's ShootOut! The Game, a free Source based FPS that lets you play through episodes of the History Channel show that recreates famous war battles.
- Icy Tower, an arcade tower climbing game.
- Imogen, a cartoon platform puzzle game, originally for the BBC Micro, but remade for Windows in 2003.
- Ikachan, an adventure game by Studio Pixel.
- Knytt, a 2D adventure platformer with emphasis on ambience than anything else
- KumaWar, a first and third-person squad-based war game.
- Liero is a 2D shooting game.
- Moon Whistle is a classic RPG Maker game made by Kannazuki Sasuke.
- Martial Heroes a 3D free-to-play concept MMORPG.
- N is a classic platformer game with advanced physics.
- Nethack is a famous rogue-like game
- Nexuiz, a futuristic deathmatch FPS.
- Noctis, an space exploration simulator.
- Neverball, a 3D platform/puzzle game similar to Marble Madness.
- Orbiter, a spaceflight simulator with an emphasis on realistic orbital mechanics.
- OpenTTD, an open source port of the Chris Sawyer game Transport Tycoon Deluxe
- PARSEC47, a 3D sidescrolling shooter, featuring a fast gameplay and abstract graphics
- Pekka Kana 2, a platform game with level editor.
- PlaneShift, a 3D fantasy MMORPG.
- Plasma Pong, a pong game where the ball is manipulated in a fluid dynamics environment.
- Progress Quest, a parody of Everquest and the MMORPG genre, focuses on pure character building with no interaction involved.
- Rappelz, a 3D MMORPG.
- rRootage, a sidescrolling shooter, featuring abstracts graphics and various modes of play
- Rocks'n'Diamonds, a tile-based puzzle game, inspired by Boulderdash
- Sauerbraten (Cube 2) is a free, first-person shooter designed primarily for multiplayer.
- Savage: The Battle for Newerth, a multiplayer game combining RTS, FPS, and third person view genres.
- Scorched 3D, a turn-based artillery game modeled after the classic DOS game Scorched Earth "The Mother Of All Games".
- Seiklus, a single-player exploration/adventure game.
- Simutrans, a game that focuses on building a transportation network and is similar to Transport Tycoon.
- Smashing Pumpkins into Small Piles of Putrid Debris, a 1993 DOS based top down shooter by Jamul software, jokingly based on a Doom newsgroup thread.
- Space Combat, a freeware three-dimensional space simulator game featuring realistic physics.
- Space Cowboy Online, a 3D aerial combat MMORPG
- Starsiege: Tribes, a futuristic multiplayer First person shooter by Dynamix and Sierra
- Steel Panthers: World at War, a remake of an older strategy game from Matrix Games.
- Stepmania, is a free dance and rhythm game much like Dance Dance Revolution for the PC. (Available for Mac OS X and Linux too)
- SubSpace, a two-dimensional top-down space shooter game with massively multiplayer capabilities.
- S.W.I.N.E., a humorous three-dimensional real-time tactics game.
- Tales of Pirates is a 3D MMORPG.
- Tank Mania, independent online multiplayer 2D game.
- The New Satan Sam, 2D side-scrolling platformer.
- Torus Trooper, a 3D scrolling shooter, featuring abstract graphics and innovative gameplay.
- Trackmania Nations, a 3D racing game specially developed for the Electronic Sports World Cup by Nadeo.
- Tremulous, a multiplayer First-Person Shooter.
- True Combat: Elite is a multiplayer first person shooter.
- TUMIKI Fighters, a 3D sidescrolling shooter, featuring original gameplay and abstracts graphics.
- The Ur-Quan Masters, Independent remake of Star Control II, based on original source code.
- Ultimate Stunts, a remake of the classic stunts video game.
- Warning Forever is a vertical shooter where players only fight bosses.
- War§ow is a FPS based on the Quake II engine.
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, a standalone multiplayer expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
- World of Padman, A Free Quake 3 Like Comical FPS Game.
- YS Flight Simulation System 2000 is a flight simulator with basic graphics but advanced control.
Some gaming veterans should remember a lot of these games - and perhaps even fond memories!
For others, if you've never played it before, it's new to you!
Anyway, frugal PC gamer, they are all free, so have fun downloading!