Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPG's are better than JRPG's

heruamon said:

 

ROFLOL...sure Mass Effect wasn't as complex as the genre can get, but Oblivion...don't know about that. I'm an old skool RPGer, so gimme my pool of radiance type game and I'm happy...I see ZERO appeal in the JRPG genre...none.

 

 I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me or not. 



Around the Network
ArtznCraphs said:
heruamon said:

ROFLOL...sure Mass Effect wasn't as complex as the genre can get, but Oblivion...don't know about that. I'm an old skool RPGer, so gimme my pool of radiance type game and I'm happy...I see ZERO appeal in the JRPG genre...none.

 I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me or not. 

Well, Oblivion is a pretty crappy game all the way around.  Among high quality RPGs, it only looks worse.



Words Of Wisdom said:
ArtznCraphs said:
heruamon said:

ROFLOL...sure Mass Effect wasn't as complex as the genre can get, but Oblivion...don't know about that. I'm an old skool RPGer, so gimme my pool of radiance type game and I'm happy...I see ZERO appeal in the JRPG genre...none.

 I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me or not. 

Well, Oblivion is a pretty crappy game all the way around.  Among high quality RPGs, it only looks worse.

 

 That's what I mean.  I said it was pretty weak as far as what I expect of the genre.  I thought maybe he was implying otherwise.



I actually agree with you, but the two genres are practically they're own, and are extremely dissimilar.



GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Pizza is better than Burgers.

Each has their preferences. I personally prefer jRPGs to wRPGs. I like the character and story line development in jRPGs.



"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

 

Around the Network

WRPG stories aren't automatically better than JRPG stories. Oblivion's main story was apparently terrible and quite a few JRPGs have pretty decent stories



I'm pretty much in the same opinion with Profcrab. Coming from a 20year background in RPG(Pen and Paper) there is a distinct difference.

I tend not to classify JRPGS and RPGs at all. As listed above for whatever reasons. What I do like about JRPGs is that they are sit back relax and enjoy the story. I've managed to assoictate with some of the major chatacters. I find that some WRPGS like Fallout to be better RPGs and closer to an actualy RPG than others, but I don't always enjoy them enough to finish. I don't assosiate with many WRPG characters. Though love Fallout I really don't care about Vault 13 or the Vault Dweller. I did associate with some of the KoToR characters though.

To me JRPGs are like candy. Game play is typicly shallow, but not always. WRPGs good ones provide me more depth and enjoyment. Though I love WEWY and put that as one of my top CRPG games, though still linear. So a good game is good regardless, just valyue different merits. Neither is better.

As a slightly branch of the topic. D&D came from a war game and the original D&D played much like a wargame, had stats associated like wargaming. The approach of played only differed in that multiple players only played 1 character each and generally played with miniatures. This does not nesicaryly make D&D a roleplaying game. What made D&D a roleplaying game were the people who decided to add charactersization and social interaction. Purpose outside of the combat and dungeons. If you were unfortunate to have a shitty GM that didn't bother with social interaction then I'm sorry for your misfortune, but you didn't play and RPG. You played a tactical game.



Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

blazinhead89 said:
JRPGs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WRPGs,

Hahaha so agree.

 



Something just doesnt feel right about most WRPGs.




PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Riachu said:
WRPG stories aren't automatically better than JRPG stories. Oblivion's main story was apparently terrible and quite a few JRPGs have pretty decent stories

Of course. I'm saying WRPGs averagely have better stories than JRPGs, but there are several japanese RPGs that have good stories, and one even great by my standards (FF6). The problem of JRPGs is that they don't take advantage of gameplay-integrated storytelling, which would increase alot the quality of their side-quests and improve immersion.

I agree that Oblivion is an abortion of an RPG.