So if you guys haven't noticed yet, apparently Sony decided to raise their price for the PS5 in most regions. A lot of views on this are negative and I think many can agree that this isn't a good look. However, "I" think this is actually a decent decision from Sony. Not to be confused with good decision for the PS5, but a good decision for SIE in the future. Multiple reasons
1. It looks like to me, the gaming market has been shifting away from consoles including Sony. Recently they've been focused on PC, and they claimed that they have their eyes on mobile as well. Clearly the PS5 isn't their main focus now, cuz I don't feel any passion from Sony to sell the PS5 to their customers.
2. Since the PS5 isn't their main focus, they would rather sell them for profit or relatively low loss. They wouldn't want another PS3 situation. They probably aren't expecting them to sell like their previous consoles as well, because fans are going to be able to play in different platforms. People assume console sales = success for company, which isn't the case. It's the operating profit. Consoles sales determines the success of the product, not the company.
3. PS5s aren't even available for most ppl due to stock issues, so a price increase may result in seeing some on store shelves for ppl to buy.
4. Price hike makes it difficult for scalpers to put their hands on.
5. They basically shifted from: focused on consoles -> multiple platforms like Microsoft or should I say to combat Microsoft's action. Which means both the PS5 and Xbox Series are now in the target for people that can't afford a gaming pc or casual gamers in Sony/Microsoft's eyes. It's not the only place to get profit like it used to be, or a place to play their first-party games.
Overall, there are definitely cons with this decision, but ultimately this isn't a bad decision for Sony from a business perspective. What do you guys think.