By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Could Learn a Lot from Microsoft

Thought provoking discussion on NintendoLife.



Honestly great points from both speakers in the video, and I really hope Nintendo listens to this video. But what do you think, is Xbox Game Pass really what Nintendo's online service should imitate? What are some things you'd have Nintendo's online system change that were missed in this video?



Around the Network

Das true.
But Microsoft could learn way more from Nintendo tho.



Jpcc86 said:

Das true.
But Microsoft could learn way more from Nintendo tho.

Ok, but what?



So... Nintendo need to give their stuff away for less money? Not much insight there.

They start with "Nintendo should make graphics like Xbox". Which also has no insight, and completely misunderstands Nintendo's markets. People who want graphics are buying XBOX and PS5. Nintendo isn't playing that game (and should not even try IMO).

Then they go on to "Nintendo should have GamePass". Again, no insight and no understanding of Nintendo's market. Nintendo work on branding, and aiming at kids. Kids get limited time on consoles, and parents want control over what they play. Also, kids get games as birthday presents, or buy them with pocket money. Parents do not want a Netflix that they don't control.

Again, all the people who want this.... will NEVER buy Nintendo. So how would doing this benefit Nintendo?



OneTime said:

So... Nintendo need to give their stuff away for less money? Not much insight there.

They start with "Nintendo should make graphics like Xbox". Which also has no insight, and completely misunderstands Nintendo's markets. People who want graphics are buying XBOX and PS5. Nintendo isn't playing that game (and should not even try IMO).

Then they go on to "Nintendo should have GamePass". Again, no insight and no understanding of Nintendo's market. Nintendo work on branding, and aiming at kids. Kids get limited time on consoles, and parents want control over what they play. Also, kids get games as birthday presents, or buy them with pocket money. Parents do not want a Netflix that they don't control.

Again, all the people who want this.... will NEVER buy Nintendo. So how would doing this benefit Nintendo?

What makes you say they'd never buy Nintendo?



Around the Network

They are learning with their NSO subscription model. It is getting not so bad rn with AC and MK8 DLC included. The drop rate of games is way too slow tho. apparently Gameboy games are already ready to go up on the service but they are waiting on it. It would make it more appealing. Once they fix their online and offers more media options, add gamecube, gameboy and DS games, then the service will be pretty neat.

I honestly don't need them to make a subscription with all their games, it clearly isn't something they are even close from doing. But they need to start by lowering the price of some games on Switch cause it is just overall hurting some franchises. Xenoblade would probably be a lot bigger if the games weren't at full price still. That Nintendo select line can't come soon enough.



I love Gamepass, no doubt about it, but I believe it wouldn't even exist today had Microsoft found success the normal way. If Xbox One continued the success of the 360 and went toe to toe with PS4, and their game's sales were therefore much higher along with revenue and profit, I doubt they would have launched something like Gamepass to begin with as their wouldn't have been a need to find a different way into people's wallets. They also wouldn't have needed to go out and buy a bunch of studios in order to bolster the value of Gamepass if they didn't have GP. But they had to find a different way and they found one, are having success with it, and I'm happy for it because it saves me a ton of money.

Nintendo found its own way by merging into a hybrid. It saves them a ton on developing handheld and console games, each, for every generation, instead making just one. It also saves us consumers money too. I bought both Nintendo handhelds and home consoles, and would buy both handheld games and console games from the same series. Now I just get one. Instead of having to buy Super Mario 3d land for $40 like I did and Super Mario 3d World for $50 or $60 like I did, I get Super Mario Odyssey for $60 and save the difference. This same logic is applied to numerous series. I've saved on the consolidation quite a bit this generation so far, so in that sense Nintendo is helping me out as a consumer. Less redundant, more unique games.



CaptainExplosion said:
OneTime said:

So... Nintendo need to give their stuff away for less money? Not much insight there.

They start with "Nintendo should make graphics like Xbox". Which also has no insight, and completely misunderstands Nintendo's markets. People who want graphics are buying XBOX and PS5. Nintendo isn't playing that game (and should not even try IMO).

Then they go on to "Nintendo should have GamePass". Again, no insight and no understanding of Nintendo's market. Nintendo work on branding, and aiming at kids. Kids get limited time on consoles, and parents want control over what they play. Also, kids get games as birthday presents, or buy them with pocket money. Parents do not want a Netflix that they don't control.

Again, all the people who want this.... will NEVER buy Nintendo. So how would doing this benefit Nintendo?

What makes you say they'd never buy Nintendo?

They would never buy Nintendo because they say they want to play Witcher 3 and then go through all of their favorite spotty-teenage-gamer features that Xbox and Playstation have.  Even if Nintendo had those features, even the most rabid Nintendo fanboy would say "you know what:  you should buy Xbox"

Turning the Switch into "sort of like an Xbox, but not really as good as an Xbox" isn't going to make people who want Xboxes buy Nintendo consoles. More likely, Nintendo's real customers would be turned off by it.



Game Pass is for companies who have trouble selling their games.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Nintendo doesn’t need a gamepass clone but they do need to look into improving the Switch’s online features.