By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Switch tech talk

So, with the Switch selling super well every week, the Steam Deck out on the streets as the most powerful mainstream handheld now, and the state of the whole industry baffled by supply shortages, I wanted to start yet another discussion regarding the next Nintendo machine and the tech that will go inside it. But what I really want to focus is: with the other consoles struggling (X|S and mainly PS5) and Nintendo having some sweet opening to expand Switch's lifetime, how do you think this is going to impact the tech in NS's successor?

In theory, every day that passes could mean a more powerful device down the road, and with the tech currently available they could come close to the Series S performance, at least in docked mode. The thing is, this is Nintendo and even if I do want a powerful enough machine, they haven't cared about raw power for a while.

Point in case, what I would like to get is just that: a machine that comes close to the Series S in power, thus attractive for devs to drop by many multiplats and providing a "buffer", so to speak, of 3-4 years that allows Nintendo to come up with their devices after the two other ones have released theirs, but always powered by more modern technology (especially from the handheld perspective) that allows them to not be so far away from the competition in terms of graphical output. But what I really think we'll have is a similar sized hybrid from today's machine, that will be capable of putting PS4 level graphics and that's all, even with all the available R&D time, so it can be a cheap product.

What do you think?



Around the Network

So far as far as rumours go and thanks to the Nvidia leaks, the most legit rumours that we have are from Kopite who has successfully leaked many Nvidia GPUs in the past such as Ampere's lineup a year prior to release.

Based on my findings, here is what we know and obviously take it with heaps of salt.

So what that means is that the Switch 2's SoC should be called T239 based on GA10F which is Ampere using Samsung's 8nm. It could have 1024 Cuda cores. Theoretically this would make sense assuming the Switch 2 launches in 2024sh because the original Switch was based on Maxwell that launched during Nvidia's Pascal era, Switch 2 would be based on Ampere and launch during Nvidia's Lovelace era. T239 is a customized version of T234:

Assuming that it's all true, we still don't know what further customization Nintendo will require for it such as will it have Tensor cores? RT cores? Clock Speed? CPU? etc. It's highly unlikely it will have 12 core CPU so similar to his thoughts of halving the cuda cores, halving the CPUs would make sense.

It should be on par or beat the Steam Decks performance so at the very least, it will be around the power level of a PS4 but at 720p. With DLSS and maybe Ray Tracing (Since Steam Deck has RT support), it could exceed it but they would want to keep the cost down.

I think $300 is doable but $400 would be worst case.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:

So far as far as rumours go and thanks to the Nvidia leaks, the most legit rumours that we have are from Kopite who has successfully leaked many Nvidia GPUs in the past such as Ampere's lineup a year prior to release.

Based on my findings, here is what we know and obviously take it with heaps of salt.

So what that means is that the Switch 2's SoC should be called T239 based on GA10F which is Ampere using Samsung's 8nm. It could have 1024 Cuda cores. Theoretically this would make sense assuming the Switch 2 launches in 2024sh because the original Switch was based on Maxwell that launched during Nvidia's Pascal era, Switch 2 would be based on Ampere and launch during Nvidia's Lovelace era. T239 is a customized version of T234:

Assuming that it's all true, we still don't know what further customization Nintendo will require for it such as will it have Tensor cores? RT cores? Clock Speed? CPU? etc. It's highly unlikely it will have 12 core CPU so similar to his thoughts of halving the cuda cores, halving the CPUs would make sense.

It should be on par or beat the Steam Decks performance so at the very least, it will be around the power level of a PS4 but at 720p. With DLSS and maybe Ray Tracing (Since Steam Deck has RT support), it could exceed it but they would want to keep the cost down.

I think $300 is doable but $400 would be worst case.

I get the impression Steam Deck will be an annual or every two year refreshed device, and therefore Deck 2 to be out before Switch 2 comes. And I fully expect Deck 2 to be more powerful than Switch 2.



Dulfite said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So far as far as rumours go and thanks to the Nvidia leaks, the most legit rumours that we have are from Kopite who has successfully leaked many Nvidia GPUs in the past such as Ampere's lineup a year prior to release.

Based on my findings, here is what we know and obviously take it with heaps of salt.

So what that means is that the Switch 2's SoC should be called T239 based on GA10F which is Ampere using Samsung's 8nm. It could have 1024 Cuda cores. Theoretically this would make sense assuming the Switch 2 launches in 2024sh because the original Switch was based on Maxwell that launched during Nvidia's Pascal era, Switch 2 would be based on Ampere and launch during Nvidia's Lovelace era. T239 is a customized version of T234:

Assuming that it's all true, we still don't know what further customization Nintendo will require for it such as will it have Tensor cores? RT cores? Clock Speed? CPU? etc. It's highly unlikely it will have 12 core CPU so similar to his thoughts of halving the cuda cores, halving the CPUs would make sense.

It should be on par or beat the Steam Decks performance so at the very least, it will be around the power level of a PS4 but at 720p. With DLSS and maybe Ray Tracing (Since Steam Deck has RT support), it could exceed it but they would want to keep the cost down.

I think $300 is doable but $400 would be worst case.

I get the impression Steam Deck will be an annual or every two year refreshed device, and therefore Deck 2 to be out before Switch 2 comes. And I fully expect Deck 2 to be more powerful than Switch 2.

Yea you are probably correct. I think Valve will update the Steam Deck every GPU cycle which is once every 2 years or worst case, 4 years.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Series S performance in docked mode isn't the upper limit I guess, but it's closer to the best case scenario. Nintendo could likely still thrive with the docked Switch 2 performing like a PS4 Pro, or even base PS4. The docked Switch is well below an Xbox One and is one of the best-selling game platforms of all-time.
I would love Switch 2 to run on a small SSD like the more expensive models of the Steam Deck, but it's not particularly likely.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

EDIT:  My post is very layman after seeing other people posting in this thread, but probably around PS4 power, but better when docked due to DLSS. Hopefully Nintendo will be able to deliver that in 2024/2025 with decent battery life for $349.

Last edited by archbrix - on 22 March 2022

8 Core Hercules AMD78E up to 2GHZ

12GB LPDDR5 Ram at a bandwidth of 102GB

1024 Cuda Cores

DLSS 2.2

10-15 watts

800P OLED

1080P docked

$400

I's be happy with this. Can't expect a 4K Switch. That's crazy talk.

What I expect. Roughly between a base Xbox One and base PS4 with a few modern features. Would only have to render PS5/SX ports at 480P/540P native and be upscaled.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think Nintendo is gona start planing their next hardware after these crazzy prises stabilise. Nintendo dosent even play at the thought of loosing money. So this could be a super long gen with the switch.



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

My assumption for awhile now is that we will see something along these lines for Switch 2:

  • Q1 2024 release
  • CPU: 8 core, 2-2.2 ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Ampere based, roughly 1.6-1.8 tflop docked, half that in handheld mode for improved battery life
  • Memory: 10-12 GB of LPDDR5 at roughly 90-100 GB/s
  • Storage: 128 GB NVMe SSD
  • Storage expansion: SD XC cards. Some games can't be played from SD memory, namely ports of PS5/Xbox Series games that require fast SSD's to run, instead you can transfer those game files back and forth between the SD card and the internal SSD (maybe this limitation could be bypassed through the use of SD UHS-3 or SD Express speed SD cards)
  • Screen: 7" 900p OLED
  • Battery Life: Comparable to Switch 1
  • Able to make use of DLSS 2.2 and FSR 2.0 in order to upscale games from low native resolutions like 540p up to 900p handheld and 720p up to 1440p docked, allowing ports of PS5/Xbox Series games to run on Switch 2
  • Price: $350
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 22 March 2022

eva01beserk said:

I think Nintendo is gona start planing their next hardware after these crazzy prises stabilise. Nintendo dosent even play at the thought of loosing money. So this could be a super long gen with the switch.

Nintendo started planning their next hardware years ago.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.