By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - (Spoilers) Netflix Witcher season 2 is really pissing me off

What in the world were they thinking doing Eskel the way they did? Back in 2018 the showrunner tweeted this about Eskel:

A statement which implied that Eskel would both be a main character and true to the books/games. Here was Netflix's description for Eskel 3 years later upon his debut in season 2:

They basically totally rewrote his character from how he was in the books and games, somehow making him a bigger asshole than Lambert, who is the one that is supposed to be the asshole of the School of the Wolf. He gets it a fight with Geralt, brings whores to Kaer Morhen.

Then, as if the poor characterization wasn't bad enough, they straight up killed off the character after only a few minutes of screentime, one of Geralt's closest friends in the books and games, who also plays an important role in the plot of both the books and the games. It's so baffling. Why does Netflix seem to ruin every IP they touch? 

RIP king, you deserved so much better than this. At least we will always have the fantastic version of Eskel from Witcher 3, Netflix can't take that from us:

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 19 December 2021

Around the Network

Never played TW3. Just 1-2 and hated them. Never read the books or saw The Hexen. Liking the show so *shrug*



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Boy you must have been outraged about the hobbit



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The season thus far.. 3 episodes in is that its a dud and quite deflating/disappointing after a long wait and anticipation. The cast outside Gerald and Ciri is a bit pants. Not a massive fan of double downing multi-enthicity cast either, just feels so random and out of place. Feels like they just chose random cast instead of actors that a remotely resemble the characters in the source material and the Slavic locale they belong to. Eh, I guess thats the way with a lot of Netflix shows these days.

Last edited by hinch - on 19 December 2021



Around the Network
hinch said:

The season thus far.. 3 episodes in is that its a dud and quite deflating/disappointing after a long wait and anticipation. The cast outside Gerald and Ciri is a bit pants. Not a massive fan of double downing multi-enthicity cast either, just feels so random and out of place. Feels like they just chose random cast instead of actors that a remotely resemble the characters in the source material and the Slavic locale they belong to. Eh, I guess thats the way with a lot of Netflix shows these days.

I quite liked episode 1, but episode 2 was a massive disappointment to me. The casting for all of the Wolf School Witchers other than Geralt seems bad. Take Vesemir for instance, Mark Hamill wanted to play Vesemir and fans waged a massive campaign to get them to cast Mark Hamill, instead we got this guy who seem kind of meh. Eskel is a total disaster, Lambert and Coen look nothing like they do in the books or games. 

Agreed about the whole multi-racial casting thing. Netflix's (rumored) diversity and inclusion push over the last few years seems to have really boogered up everything. Instead of designing some new characters who were POC specifically for the show, they instead changed the races of established characters. Hit hardest by this is Fringilla, who was portrayed as a white woman in the books and games, but is instead a very dark skinned black woman in the show. It is extremely offputting for anyone who played the games in particular, every time I see her my brain is like "I don't know who that is but it's not Fringilla". Race swapping and gender swapping characters is such a lazy tactic of modern Hollywood, a cop-out that they find easier than designing new POC and new female characters that are well-written. 

Edit: An earlier version of this post mentioned a Netflix diversity quota. I was misremebering an article about an Amazon studios diversity quota from over the summer as being about Netflix. I was wrong and apologize.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 25 December 2021

100% agree about the race swapping being awful. and ugh, atleast they did give "Triss" more reddish chestnut hair this season. But she still looks awful



shikamaru317 said:

I quite liked episode 1, but episode 2 was a massive disappointment to me. The casting for all of the Wolf School Witchers other than Geralt seems bad. Take Vesemir for instance, Mark Hamill wanted to play Vesemir and fans waged a massive campaign to get them to cast Mark Hamill, instead we got this guy who seem kind of meh. Eskel is a total disaster, Lambert and Coen look nothing like they do in the books or games. 

Agreed about the whole multi-racial casting thing. Netflix's requirement that all shows must have a certain number of main cast members who are racial minorities really boogered up everything. Instead of designing some new characters who were POC, they instead changed the races of established character. Hit hardest by this is Fringilla, who was portrayed as a black haired white woman in the books and games, but is instead a very dark skinned black woman in the show. It is extremely offputting for anyone who played the games in particular, every time I see her my brain is like "I don't know who that is but it's not Fringilla". Race swapping and gender swapping characters is such a lazy tactic of modern Hollywood, a cop-out that they find easier than designing new POC and new female characters that are well-written. 

Ep 1 was fine yeah. And wth.. Mark Hamil would have made a great Vesemir.

And wow is that really a thing? Really can't stand forced diversity in films and media. Like if someone is genuinely a great actor/actress and fits the role perfectly I don't have a problem. Its when directors start deviating so far from original material as when I have a issue. And that's not even looking at the writing and dialogue, which is quite frankly pretty bad. The dialect and the way the characters speak so modern, its almost like watching some cosplayers dressing up. Its just jarring, and takes me out of it.

And yeah hated the way they handled Eskel's character in this. If it weren't for the decent action and Henry Cavil I probably would have dropped this but here we are lol.

Spoiler!
Also you have modern inclusion stuff like the deaf elf and his sign languages (lol)

had me roll my eyes and then some. Not trying to be a dick, but come on.



hinch said:
shikamaru317 said:

I quite liked episode 1, but episode 2 was a massive disappointment to me. The casting for all of the Wolf School Witchers other than Geralt seems bad. Take Vesemir for instance, Mark Hamill wanted to play Vesemir and fans waged a massive campaign to get them to cast Mark Hamill, instead we got this guy who seem kind of meh. Eskel is a total disaster, Lambert and Coen look nothing like they do in the books or games. 

Agreed about the whole multi-racial casting thing. Netflix's requirement that all shows must have a certain number of main cast members who are racial minorities really boogered up everything. Instead of designing some new characters who were POC, they instead changed the races of established character. Hit hardest by this is Fringilla, who was portrayed as a black haired white woman in the books and games, but is instead a very dark skinned black woman in the show. It is extremely offputting for anyone who played the games in particular, every time I see her my brain is like "I don't know who that is but it's not Fringilla". Race swapping and gender swapping characters is such a lazy tactic of modern Hollywood, a cop-out that they find easier than designing new POC and new female characters that are well-written. 

Ep 1 was fine yeah. And wth.. Mark Hamil would have made a great Vesemir.

And wow is that really a thing? Really can't stand forced diversity in films and media. Like if someone is genuinely a great actor/actress and fits the role perfectly I don't have a problem. Its when directors start deviating so far from original material as when I have a issue. And that's not even looking at the writing and dialogue, which is quite frankly pretty bad. The dialect and the way the characters speak so modern, its almost like watching some cosplayers dressing up. Its just jarring, and takes me out of it.

And yeah hated the way they handled Eskel's character in this. If it weren't for the decent action and Henry Cavil I probably would have dropped this but here we are lol.

Spoiler!
Also you have modern inclusion stuff like the deaf elf and his sign languages (lol)

had me roll my eyes and then some. Not trying to be a dick, but come on.

Yeah, Mark Hamill Vesemir could have been great, and Hamill himself was the one who was pushing for it, even before the fans rallied behind him.

It's not confirmed afaik, but it's heavily rumored that all Netflix shows must have a certain number of minorities on the main cast (people of color and LGBT specifically). I honestly am struggling to think of any recent Netflix shows that had a main cast that wasn't at least 1/4 minority, and some have quite alot more than that, which I typically don't have too much of an issue with (everybody wants to feel represented when they watch something), for instance Cobra Kai has a fantastic diverse cast (almost all races plus LGBT are represented), but because Witcher is a Polish medieval fantasy series where nearly all characters were intended to be white, it obviously created an issue, and instead of just creating new, non-canon characters specifically for the show, from the regions of the Witcher world where darker skinned peoples exist, like Zerrikania, in order to get more POC representation, we ended up with race swapped main characters like Triss and Fringilla, while Yennifer is played by a half Indian woman (that I can deal with at least, the other 2 are harder to get past than the Yennifer casting). Coen as well seemed like he was played by a POC actor in that 2nd episode of the 2nd season I watched last night.

Eskel is really cool in the games, it's just a real shame that they did his character so dirty in this. There is a theory that he is an impostor, a doppler (shapeshifter) who was infected by a leshen to be used as a weapon against the Wolf School, based on the fact that Eskel said he fought the leshen for 6 hours, to which Vesemir replied that all he needed to do was hit the leshen's heart with fire, something that the real Eskel should have known, as well as the fact that Geralt easily blocked Eskel's punch (in the books Eskel and Geralt are said to be of roughly equal skill). I kind of doubt the theory is true, due to the fact that the Eskel in the episode had a Wolf Medallion, but it would be a good way to put the real Eskel into later seasons. Hopefully the writers see the online backlash about their version of Eskel and use that fan theory to give us the real Eskel in a later season.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 19 December 2021

I never played the Witcher games or read the books, so I went in blind.

Season 1 was okay, 2nd half of season 1 was worse but it allowed me to watch Season 2....

Season 2 is pretty trash to be honest. I eye rolled quite a bit when the classic derived tv trope came on, which may or may not be in the books. But basically this:

Minor spoilers.

Spoiler!
Yen- I like power at all costs
Geralt- I love you
Yen- I will now sacrifice someone for power.
Geralt- OMG How could you? I hate you.