By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 22-28 - Switch Sales Top 90 Million

 
100,647 78,463 63,481 289,641
77,998 96,518 20,172 225,203
61,824 43,499 5,693 131,166
10,215 13,853 2,084 28,480
8,064 2,342 N/A 11,524
N/A N/A 473 473

Be sure to share the Weekly breakdown article:

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 289,641 units sold for the week ending August 28, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 90.25 million units lifetime.

The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 225,203 units to bring its lifetime sales to 11.25 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 131,166 units to bring their lifetime sales to 6.93 million units.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 28,480 units, the Xbox One sold 11,524 units, and the Nintendo 3DS sold 473 units.

Nintendo Switch sales compared to the same week a year ago are down 82,258 units (-22.1%). The PlayStation 4 is down 99,053 (-77.7%), the Xbox One is down 12,228 units (-51.5%), and the 3DS is down 4,539 units (-90.6%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, Nintendo Switch sales are down by nearly 10,000 units, PlayStation 5 sales are up by nearly 7,000 units, while Xbox Series X|S sales are down by over 3,000 units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

  1. Switch - 289,641 (90,245,313)
  2. PlayStation 5 - 225,203 (11,252,518)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 131,166 (6,930,831)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 28,480 (116,413,122)
  5. Xbox One - 11,524 (50,356,307)
  6. 3DS - 473 (75,941,436)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 109,389
  2. PlayStation 5 - 83,976
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 67,203
  4. PlayStation 4 - 10,790
  5. Xbox One - 8,602
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. PlayStation 5 - 96,518
  2. Switch - 78,463
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 43,499
  4. PlayStation 4 - 13,853
  5. Xbox One - 2,342
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 91,308
  2. PlayStation 5 - 39,026
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 15,852
  4. PlayStation 4 - 3,407
  5. Xbox One - 381
  6. 3DS - 473 (Japan only)
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 10,481
  2. PlayStation 5 - 5,683
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 4,612
  4. PlayStation 4 - 430
  5. Xbox One - 199
Last edited by trunkswd - on 10 September 2021

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Woohoo. And soon it will be 100 millions



Pretty solid numbers all around this week



Now, I’m wondering how much the Switch OLED will close the 20-25% YoY gap that’s currently occurring. It seems it should return the Switch to (or close to) peak levels. The difference is Animal Crossing is now in its second holiday season, the impact on pushing units isn’t going to be as pronounced.

While this Metroid game does look cool, I’d guess the appeal is primarily toward those who already own a Switch. I’m not saying people won’t be buying Switch for Metroid, only that it’s not going to be moving the needle on its current sales trajectory - the OLED is the only thing they announced that will do that… maybe a base and lite model price drop, but I wouldn’t think that’s particularly necessary from a corporate standpoint. Of course, if they can prove that the trajectory change from such a price drop would increase profits by getting Switch 1 models out earlier - thus increasing software uptake and overall profitability - then there might be a justification.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Now, I’m wondering how much the Switch OLED will close the 20-25% YoY gap that’s currently occurring. It seems it should return the Switch to (or close to) peak levels. The difference is Animal Crossing is now in its second holiday season, the impact on pushing units isn’t going to be as pronounced.

While this Metroid game does look cool, I’d guess the appeal is primarily toward those who already own a Switch. I’m not saying people won’t be buying Switch for Metroid, only that it’s not going to be moving the needle on its current sales trajectory - the OLED is the only thing they announced that will do that… maybe a base and lite model price drop, but I wouldn’t think that’s particularly necessary from a corporate standpoint. Of course, if they can prove that the trajectory change from such a price drop would increase profits by getting Switch 1 models out earlier - thus increasing software uptake and overall profitability - then there might be a justification.

Especially since Nintendo basically left the game as is from launch aside from the occassional small feature addition or holiday event. With as much as that game sold, it could have sold far more with a constant flow of dlc (which would further push hardware). I don't know why they don't release major updates to that game every 2-3 months. If ever there was a game that should be treated like a live service game from Nintendo's lineup, it's Animal Crossing. Fans would be delighted to have new things added (both free and ones that cost money). They could even have an in-game economy where you can exchange bells for dollars and vice-versa in order to buy the dlc (plenty of mmos allow in-game currency <---> real world money exchange, like Guild Wars 2 with gold and gems). But instead the game is mostly what it was when it launched, which was a good game. But if I had additional islands to visit for various purposes (sporting events, festivals, a scientific research island, the list goes on and on), I would absolutely pay real $ to experience that. It's absurd they don't have a vibrant campaign going on in that game with as many copies as it sold.



Around the Network

At this point the PS4 had sold about 10.4 million and the Xbox One 5.2 so the Series X/S is doing better both with the ratio and outselling its predecessor. It's still early but it's a good sign so far for a more competitive generation which is nice.



In September, especially in the second half Switch sales will likely reach the low point of the year because of the OLED.
The OLED-model will offset a lot of sales from September to October.



Dulfite said:
Jumpin said:

Now, I’m wondering how much the Switch OLED will close the 20-25% YoY gap that’s currently occurring. It seems it should return the Switch to (or close to) peak levels. The difference is Animal Crossing is now in its second holiday season, the impact on pushing units isn’t going to be as pronounced.

While this Metroid game does look cool, I’d guess the appeal is primarily toward those who already own a Switch. I’m not saying people won’t be buying Switch for Metroid, only that it’s not going to be moving the needle on its current sales trajectory - the OLED is the only thing they announced that will do that… maybe a base and lite model price drop, but I wouldn’t think that’s particularly necessary from a corporate standpoint. Of course, if they can prove that the trajectory change from such a price drop would increase profits by getting Switch 1 models out earlier - thus increasing software uptake and overall profitability - then there might be a justification.

Especially since Nintendo basically left the game as is from launch aside from the occassional small feature addition or holiday event. With as much as that game sold, it could have sold far more with a constant flow of dlc (which would further push hardware). I don't know why they don't release major updates to that game every 2-3 months. If ever there was a game that should be treated like a live service game from Nintendo's lineup, it's Animal Crossing. Fans would be delighted to have new things added (both free and ones that cost money). They could even have an in-game economy where you can exchange bells for dollars and vice-versa in order to buy the dlc (plenty of mmos allow in-game currency <---> real world money exchange, like Guild Wars 2 with gold and gems). But instead the game is mostly what it was when it launched, which was a good game. But if I had additional islands to visit for various purposes (sporting events, festivals, a scientific research island, the list goes on and on), I would absolutely pay real $ to experience that. It's absurd they don't have a vibrant campaign going on in that game with as many copies as it sold.

I do agree with that. You’d think now that they’ve dipped their toe in the DLC water that Animal Crossing would be the logical place to build a goldmine.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

trunkswd said:

Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 10,481
  2. PlayStation 5 - 5,683
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 4,612
  4. PlayStation 4 - 430
  5. Xbox One - 199

We're a peculiar market; PS and Xbox quite close, Switch way ahead. Most like America, but with even more of a Switch advantage.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through August 28

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.  Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to September 1)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to August 31)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to August 29)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to August 28)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

  • Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 1,509,055 (-70.6%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

  • Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 834,953 (-5.9%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 311,264 (-90.6%)

Sony

  • PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 4,496,482 (-71.8%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a


VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.