By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July NPD 2021

Leaks:

Switch > 397k
PS5 - 250-300K
XBS - 152-170K

State of the market

July 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories increased 10% when compared to a year ago, reaching a July record $4.6B. Year-to-date spending totaled $33.5B, a 14% increase when compared to the same period in 2020.

Hardware was one of the primary drivers of July gains, as dollar sales of console and portable video game systems were 98% higher than in July 2020. Sales of Content increased by $232M, as Mobile, Subscription and Post-Launch Content spend grew vs year ago


Hardware

July video game hardware dollar sales grew 98% when compared to July 2020, to $323 million. This is the highest total achieved in a July month since 2008 ($447M), and the third highest July month total in history. Year-to-date hardware spending has increased 50% when compared to the same period in 2020, reaching $2.7 billion.

PlayStation 5 led the hardware market in dollar sales for the month of July, while Nintendo Switch once again led in unit sales.

Nintendo Switch is the best-selling video game hardware year-to-date in both unit and dollar sales.

Content

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
 was the best-selling game of July 2021. It is the first Nintendo published title to lead the monthly best-sellers chart since the launch of Super Mario 3D world in the February 2021 tracking month.

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin debuted as the third best-selling game of July 2021. Launch month sales of Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin more than tripled the lifetime sales of Monster Hunter Stories, originally released on Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War ranked as the 2nd best-selling game of the month of July, and remains the best-selling game of 2021 year-to-date. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was the best-selling game of the month on both the PlayStation and Xbox platforms.

MLB The Show 21 surpassed Resident Evil: Village to become the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. Year-to-date sales of MLB The Show 21 are the highest in franchise history.

Software charts

Accessories

July 2021 spending on video game accessories increased 11% when compared to a year ago, reaching $189 million. Year-to-date accessory sales totaled $1.4 billion, an increase of 13% when compared to the same period in 2020.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Edition Joy-Con was the best-selling accessory of July in dollar sales. The PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White remains the best-selling accessory year-to-date.


Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down !

Archivie

2021: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMay, June,
2020: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2019: JanuaryFebruary, March, April, MayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2018: 
JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2017: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2016: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2015: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2014: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2013: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2012: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2011: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2010: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2009: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2008: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
2007: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember

Last edited by Ryng - on 27 August 2021

Around the Network

I'm honestly shocked to see Monster Hunter Stories 2 so high.
I know the main series has grown massively in popularity since the first game, but I didn't expect so much of that to spill over into a spinoff subseries this way. I suppose being on the Switch as opposed to the 3DS helped a lot too, but still.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Weekly average HW revenue is about the same as June. PS5 at #1 in revenue implies at least 30% of the revenue share, assuming PS4 & XBO were 5% of the market (it'd be nice if we had some idea what they actually were selling). But let's assume it's at 35%, or about $113M in revenue. Assuming 75% disc/25% digital split, which would in turn assume an average retail price of $475, would give us 238k PS5s sold.

Assuming the Switch's weekly average was the same as in June, that would mean it sold around 380k or so, which assuming a 3:1 split between the hybrid and Lite in the hybrid's favor would yield $104.5M in revenue. 400k it probably close to the upper limit for the Switch, but it also could have seen continued declines in its weekly averages, so it's conceivable that it might have sold only, say 350-360k.

Looks like my hopes that Xbox would retain some momentum and squeak in at #2 were wrong. It likely still managed to stay over 200k, though.

If I had to throw out a guess as to the splits, maybe it's something like this:

NSW: $93.6M (360k units @ $260/unit)
PS5: $114M (240k units @ $475/unit)
XBS: $99M (220k units @ $450/unit)
PS4+XBO: $16.2M (54k units @ $300/unit)
Total: $322.8M

Now we just wait to see the prediction results so we can narrow down the actual numbers as much as possible.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 14 August 2021

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

It has been a bit for me. I'm gonna go ahead and tag into this one.



...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Good launch month for Skyward Sword HD and Monster Hunter Stories 2. I would never have called MLB The Show 21 as the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. I know it has been a slower year for new releases, but yikes. I am shocked RE Village isn't above it.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

The Skyward Sword Joy-Cons being the best-selling accessory is surprising to me.
Quite remarkable. Looks like they produced more than enough of them.



Shadow1980 said:

Weekly average HW revenue is about the same as June. PS5 at #1 in revenue implies at least 30% of the revenue share, assuming PS4 & XBO were 5% of the market (it'd be nice if we had some idea what they actually were selling). But let's assume it's at 35%, or about $113M in revenue. Assuming 75% disc/25% digital split, which would in turn assume an average retail price of $475, would give us 238k PS5s sold.

Assuming the Switch's weekly average was the same as in June, that would mean it sold around 380k or so, which assuming a 3:1 split between the hybrid and Lite in the hybrid's favor would yield $104.5M in revenue. 400k it probably close to the upper limit for the Switch, but it also could have seen continued declines in its weekly averages, so it's conceivable that it might have sold only, say 350-360k.

Looks like my hopes that Xbox would retain some momentum and squeak in at #2 were wrong. It likely still managed to stay over 200k, though.

If I had to throw out a guess as to the splits, maybe it's something like this:

NSW: $93.6M (360k units @ $260/unit)
PS5: $114M (240k units @ $475/unit)
XBS: $99M (220k units @ $450/unit)
PS4+XBO: $16.2M (54k units @ $300/unit)
Total: $322.8M

Now we just wait to see the prediction results so we can narrow down the actual numbers as much as possible.

In the figures of your final splits it makes Switch 3rd in revenue, so you probably need to recalculate.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:

In the figures of your final splits it makes Switch 3rd in revenue, so you probably need to recalculate.

Not necessarily. The report only specifies that the PS5 came in #1 in revenue and that the Switch came in #1 in units. It doesn't specify who holds the #2 & #3 spots for either. The Switch could have easily came in third in revenue despite being first in units since it's ARP is considerably lower than the others.



Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:
peachbuggy said:

In the figures of your final splits it makes Switch 3rd in revenue, so you probably need to recalculate.

Not necessarily. The report only specifies that the PS5 came in #1 in revenue and that the Switch came in #1 in units. It doesn't specify who holds the #2 & #3 spots for either. The Switch could have easily came in third in revenue despite being first in units since it's ARP is considerably lower than the others.

Actually. nvm. My bad, i had assumed it was #2 in revenue.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

8 Nintendo games is the top 20 is incredibly impressive taking into account that they don't track digital sales for them. I wonder how the charts would look if they did.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 August 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.