By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS4 shipped less than 117.1M by June 30th 2022. Will it beat Gameboy?

PS4 is doing less and less every following quorter with a final total of less than 117.1M shipped by june 30th 2022.

The weekly sales of the system have dropped to under 10K. With more than 1.5M left to do this looks impossible at this point.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 06 August 2022

Around the Network

PS4 is dying super fast.
Still want to see it reach 120M so my 2014 prediction is completely spot on.



BraLoD said:

PS4 is dying super fast.
Still want to see it reach 120M so my 2014 prediction is completely spot on.

I think with the help of a price cut 120M are very well within reach. However if there is no price cut, 120M are impossible at this point.



Years ago people believed the PS4 would reach 130 million. Then the cliff happened and people changed their predictions to 120 million. Now it looks like it may not even reach 118.5 million. The cliff was definitely bigger than what people expected... except for me. I predicted years ago it would sell less than the GameBoy and I'm sticking to it. For range I'll say 118 - 118.5 million.



Sogreblute said:

Years ago people believed the PS4 would reach 130 million. Then the cliff happened and people changed their predictions to 120 million. Now it looks like it may not even reach 118.5 million. The cliff was definitely bigger than what people expected... except for me. I predicted years ago it would sell less than the GameBoy and I'm sticking to it. For range I'll say 118 - 118.5 million.

The problem is that many people believed Sony will do good servicing, support and marketing for the system in it's late years .. if they did PS4 would reach 120, 125M or even 130M

however they didn't .. last year PS4 wasn't supplied enough, also the system had to receive price cut sometime in 2019 and another one this or next year.

But that didn't happen and probably won't .. Sony made the cliff .. it's not the system's fault. As they did with the PS3 as well..

Last edited by yo33331 - on 06 August 2021

Around the Network

I think it will reach 118M, but I'm not sure how much more.



I'm curious what will happen this holiday, as last year was weird, barely any rise in sales for PS4/XBO. (I guess it was maybe offset by the rise in Mar-May?)

Pretty sure it will still pass the Gameboy in the end but 120m may be out of reach unless Sony does a legit price drop (ie a planned drop while they are still manufacturing them)



HigHurtenflurst said:

I'm curious what will happen this holiday, as last year was weird, barely any rise in sales for PS4/XBO. (I guess it was maybe offset by the rise in Mar-May?)

I can't see the PS4 making more than 500K for the last quarter with the numbers it's showing at the moment ..

This quarter will be probably 300K, and the holiday quarter if it wasn't a holiday would be at 200 or 300K again at max, but with some holiday boost it may reach 500K. So with that, it's making 117M with this year. Then what ? 200-250K per quarter for the next year ? around 1M for 2022 at best and still 700k left to go after that ..

Last edited by yo33331 - on 06 August 2021

yo33331 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

I'm curious what will happen this holiday, as last year was weird, barely any rise in sales for PS4/XBO. (I guess it was maybe offset by the rise in Mar-May?)

I can't see the PS4 making more than 500K for the last quarter with the numbers it's showing at the moment ..

This quarter will be probably 300K, and the holiday quarter if it wasn't a holiday would be at 200 or 300K again at max, but with some holiday boost it may reach 500K.

Indeed, given how things are going Sony may just discontinue it after Christmas, they will probably have a better handle on PS5 supply by then and they seem dead set on pushing everyone to that instead.

If they do that then maybe Gameboy is out of reach too, as if Sony dont ship them they cant be sold.



Until Sony can properly stock the PS5 and completely drop the PS4, the PS4 shipments will be steady. So 3 or 4 more quarters of 500k-1m.