By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite games so far in 2021

We’re halfway through 2021. What have your favorite games been so far? If you’d like, discuss what you liked about these games.

Last edited by axumblade - on 19 July 2021

Around the Network

Monster Hunter Rise.
For years a new MH game for Switch had been a dream of mine that felt like it would never come true, and now that it has, its everything I hoped for; amazing creature designs, thrilling combat, incredible depth and breadth of content, and a brilliantly addictive and rewarding loop of hunting to upgrade and upgrading to hunt that provides a near endless stream of endorphins.
Not just the best game of 2021, but quite possibly my favourite game since BOTW back in 2017.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 July 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Monster Hunter Rise.
For years a new MH game for Switch had been a dream of mine that felt like it would never come true, and now that it has, its everything I hoped for; amazing creature designs, thrilling combat, incredible depth and breadth of content, and a brilliantly addictive and rewarding loop of hunting to upgrade and upgrading to hunt.
Not just the best game of 2021, but quite possibly my favourite game since BOTW back in 2017.

Nice.

I just picked up Monster Hunter Stories 2 and I’m really enjoying it. It’s more of a conventional turn-based RPG than Rise. It looks like it’s going to be a big hit. It was sold out everywhere in my area. Might even give SMT V a run for its money. 



Scarlet Nexus. So far my clear fave.

In order and enjoyed them all.

Persona 5 Strikers

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD

Nier Replicant

Monster Hunter Stories 2

Wonderboy Asha in Wonder Land

Hotshot Racing

Atlelier Ryza 2

Poison Control

I have not finished Bravely Default II yet but I enjoyed it. I'd like Ys IX more if it performed better on Switch. I just started Wings of Darkness on PS4 so can say more later.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SanAndreasX said:

Nice.

I just picked up Monster Hunter Stories 2 and I’m really enjoying it. It’s more of a conventional turn-based RPG than Rise. It looks like it’s going to be a big hit. It was sold out everywhere in my area. Might even give SMT V a run for its money. 

Is there much relation to #1? I saw that released the other day and it does look pretty good. I haven't played the first game (and I'm not an MH fan) and don't usually like jumping into a franchise part way through. Does it work fine as a standalone entry though?



Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
curl-6 said:

Monster Hunter Rise.
For years a new MH game for Switch had been a dream of mine that felt like it would never come true, and now that it has, its everything I hoped for; amazing creature designs, thrilling combat, incredible depth and breadth of content, and a brilliantly addictive and rewarding loop of hunting to upgrade and upgrading to hunt.
Not just the best game of 2021, but quite possibly my favourite game since BOTW back in 2017.

Nice.

I just picked up Monster Hunter Stories 2 and I’m really enjoying it. It’s more of a conventional turn-based RPG than Rise. It looks like it’s going to be a big hit. It was sold out everywhere in my area. Might even give SMT V a run for its money. 

Stories isn't my cup of tea as I'm not really into turn based combat, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Out of curiosity, what is your pick for the best game of 2021 so far?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Little Nightmares 2

Overall 2021 has been quite unremarkable for games, I'm mostly playing older games. Maybe I will play RE Village in future but I really dislike first person games so not decided 



SanAndreasX said:

Sorry, I messed this up and created two threads. Please delete if possible. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Is this for 2021 released games or games I've played in 2021?



Leynos said:

Scarlet Nexus. So far my clear fave.

In order and enjoyed them all.

Persona 5 Strikers

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD

Nier Replicant

Monster Hunter Stories 2

Wonderboy Asha in Wonder Land

Hotshot Racing

Atlelier Ryza 2

Poison Control

I have not finished Bravely Default II yet but I enjoyed it. I'd like Ys IX more if it performed better on Switch. I just started Wings of Darkness on PS4 so can say more later.

Poison control, Atelier, Ys 9, Bravely 2, Persona 5 strikers - wow we have a lot of games in common.  I played ys9 on ps5 so I didn't have the performance problem.

I'll add Returnal and Scarlet nexus to that list.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

I haven't played many new games from 2021. The Medium would be my favorite so far. Not that I loved the game. I've spent most of the year catching up on older titles or replaying games. 

Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are my most anticipated games for the rest of the year, along with a handful of smaller titles. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.