By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg's report: Nintendo Switch 'Pro' Reveal Expected Before E3

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-27/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-replacement-as-soon-as-september

From nintendolife.com

The big headline for those desperate to see the new hardware is that it's expected to be revealed before E3 - Bloomberg reports that this is to allow major third-parties to showcase a full range of titles during the upcoming event. That means, provided the reports are accurate, any time in the next two weeks.

Manufacturing is expected to begin fully in July, with a targeted launch of September or October, which would also allow the system to hit the busiest shopping period of the year.

Intriguingly, Bloomberg's report suggests two key things - that the new model will replace the current standard model (with the older iteration being phased out), and then be sold along with the Lite system. The report anticipates that the new model will have a price increase over the current $299USD, though Nintendo could arguably do this and pitch the Lite as the portable-only affordable option. As previously rumoured, Bloomberg's report claims the new system will be capable of 4K output when docked.



Around the Network

I'm not sure if I believe this leak. If Nintendo plans to release a more expensive version of the Switch, it wouldn't just phase out the regular one, wouldn't it? That would be just abandoning a perfectly functional intermediate option between the cheaper Lite and the more expensive Pro.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

I'm not sure if I believe this leak. If Nintendo plans to release a more expensive version of the Switch, it wouldn't just phase out the regular one, wouldn't it? That would be just abandoning a perfectly functional intermediate option between the cheaper Lite and the more expensive Pro.

It would avoid confusion.

You have no idea how confused my parents were by all the 3DS models back then.



I'm feelling so underwhelmed by the fact 4K docked is the only thing advertised in those rumours

Hope Nintendo official release brings in better reasons to make an upgrade



Increasing the price whilst phasing out the cheaper, default model sounds quite unprecedented so I'm curious what the deal is. I don't think the idea of "confusion" warrants it.



Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I'm not sure if I believe this leak. If Nintendo plans to release a more expensive version of the Switch, it wouldn't just phase out the regular one, wouldn't it? That would be just abandoning a perfectly functional intermediate option between the cheaper Lite and the more expensive Pro.

It would avoid confusion.

You have no idea how confused my parents were by all the 3DS models back then.

I don't think most customers would get confused anymore. The only ones who might not get the concept are parents searching for a console for their children, and as long as they play the same games, there should be no problem.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Eurogamer also shares the news, suggests that specific games will be announced for Switch pro by 3rd parties. Exclusives automatically come to mind.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-27-nintendo-switch-pro-to-be-unveiled-before-e3

Last edited by Otter - on 27 May 2021

Its sounds like Nintendo is ditching traditional console generations



Otter said:

Increasing the price whilst phasing out the cheaper, default model sounds quite unprecedented so I'm curious what the deal is. I don't think the idea of "confusion" warrants it.

I'm more inclined to believe manufacturing issues are the reason to phase out the original standard model

I just hope this model has more to offer than an 100 price increase for 4K docked, seems a pretty bad deal not having access to the standard 



If true, Obvious all of 8th gen games can be ported easily Since those ran on Vanilla Xbox One and vanilla PS4.

Last edited by dx11332sega - on 27 May 2021

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.