By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK April: Switch was the No.1 console overall, followed by the Xbox Series

"Nintendo Switch was comfortably the best-selling console of April 2021, unseating PS5. There was a significant drop in PS5 console stock last month, and in fact PS4 was April's best-selling PlayStation machine.

Xbox Series machines saw more units come to market, and was the second best-selling platform for the month behind Switch. Nintendo Switch and PS5 are currently neck-and-neck in terms of sales during 2021, with Xbox Series fast catching up."


GSD April Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

Position Title
1 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2 FIFA 21 (EA)
3 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
4 New Pokémon Snap (Nintendo)*
5 Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo)*
6 PGA Tour 2K21 (2K Games)
7 Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)
8 Returnal (Sony)
9 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
10 It Takes Two (EA)
11 Total War: Rome Remastered (Sega)
12 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
13 NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 (Square Enix)
14 Outriders (Square Enix)
15 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
16 LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
17 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
18 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
19 Minecraft: Switch Edition (Microsoft/Nintendo)*
20 Minecraft (Microsoft)

GamesIndustry

Last edited by chakkra - on 13 May 2021

Around the Network

The Xbox controller outsold the Dualsense which is a bit surprising.



PotentHerbs said:

The Xbox controller outsold the Dualsense which is a bit surprising.

I think it makes sense as it's the preferred controller for both PC and Xcloud (phones) due to prompts in games being developed specifically for the xbox controller on those platforms as well as xbox.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Captain_Yuri said:
PotentHerbs said:

The Xbox controller outsold the Dualsense which is a bit surprising.

I think it makes sense as it's the preferred controller for both PC and Xcloud (phones) due to prompts in games being developed specifically for the xbox controller on those platforms as well as xbox.

Even so, people could still use their Xbox controllers from last gen.



chakkra said:

"Nintendo Switch was comfortably the best-selling console of April 2021, unseating PS5. There was a significant drop in PS5 console stock last month, and in fact PS4 was April's best-selling PlayStation machine.

Xbox Series machines saw more units come to market, and was the second best-selling platform for the month behind Switch. Nintendo Switch and PS5 are currently neck-and-neck in terms of sales during 2021, with Xbox Series fast catching up."


GSD April Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

Position Title
1 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2 FIFA 21 (EA)
3 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
4 New Pokémon Snap (Nintendo)*
5 Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo)*
6 PGA Tour 2K21 (2K Games)
7 Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)
8 Returnal (Sony)
9 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
10 It Takes Two (EA)
11 Total War: Rome Remastered (Sega)
12 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
13 NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 (Square Enix)
14 Outriders (Square Enix)
15 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
16 LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
17 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
18 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
19 Minecraft: Switch Edition (Microsoft/Nintendo)*
20 Minecraft (Microsoft)

GamesIndustry

GTA V continues to sell. We may not see GTA 6 any moment from now.



Check this simple android fun game     Head Master

Around the Network

Seeing these HW results makes me interested to see if April's NPD goes a similar direction. This is purely anecdotal, but I certainly felt that Xbox Series X/S drops happened more often online than PS5 last month. Unfortunately NPD is delaying the data release until May 27 so we won't know for a couple more weeks.



SW-3707-5131-3911

Switch at the top is unsurprising. But PS5 being beat out by the Xbox Series and even the PS4? Yikes.

I doubt the PS4 was outsold by the PS3 in April 2014 in the UK. Though I'm sure the PS2 outsold the PS3 at this stage in the UK, for obvious reasons.

Shortages clearly remain an issue.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima