Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles will die (aside those from Nintendo), subscription services will not

This also could have been titled: Why consoles sold at loss are a a lost cause.
Quite simple they are niche products even if they sell 100s of millions.
Why is it important they sell much, well so that they have a bigger userbase buying games.
But phones/pcs/tablets while 2 of the 3 aren't fully in that stage yet, they sooner or later all have enough power to play games developed for console or PC power.
that will mean without selling hardware they will have a multibillion userbase.
why sell hardware at a loss if your PS++ or Gamepass will shit money, like Netflix dumps theirs in viewporn like the witcher or lucifer.
that will mean they will only have to focus on the most important part develop games and lots of em.
So in the end they will all become 3rd party.

Everyone aside from Nintendo who actually sells its handhelds at a profit and gets a 30% cut from both PS++ and Gamepass



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

You're like 2 generations behind on the 'phones and tablets will replace console gaming' fad. That ship has sailed.



Shaunodon said:

You're like 2 generations behind on the 'phones and tablets will replace console gaming' fad. That ship has sailed.

i have been saying this (with some cloud hokuspokus) for 2 generations but never imagined nintendo getting the free money from the other services



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Xbox consoles will be the first to die. I think PlayStation can stick it out a generation or two past that. I don't see Nintendo as a hardware company surviving much longer after that. I think even Nintendo by the 2030s will realize the money is in the cloud on mobile devices and personal computers. I think mainstream gaming consoles (even Nintendo) will be dead by the end of the 2030s.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I enjoy my physical media too much. Whoever provides that will have my business, if none of them do, then I'll just keep buying for older systems until I run out of games to purchase.



...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Having a hardware, and thus an ecosystem, is more than making (more) money. It's about controlling the business.

Being a console manufacturer not only nets you more money due to the cut they get in every sale, but also the influence they have over other developers. Not only that, but arguably your brand is associated with every single game that runs in that system, which in turn makes your company and your games more valuable, because the chance of people knowing the console manufacturer and not a random third party developer is higher.

And the one who has the keys to the kingdom is King. Why do you think Epic has an Store now and is pushing to compete against Steam? Or is going after Apple and Google to have their own App Store there? Selling a product is just one of many ways to make money and grow your company.



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Meh, consoles were always far behind the PC for a higher price but people just like buying and playing on console or else they wouldn't sell like 150-200 million consoles per gen



kirby007 said:

This also could have been titled: Why consoles sold at loss are a a lost cause.
Quite simple they are niche products even if they sell 100s of millions.
Why is it important they sell much, well so that they have a bigger userbase buying games.
But phones/pcs/tablets while 2 of the 3 aren't fully in that stage yet, they sooner or later all have enough power to play games developed for console or PC power.
that will mean without selling hardware they will have a multibillion userbase.
why sell hardware at a loss if your PS++ or Gamepass will shit money, like Netflix dumps theirs in viewporn like the witcher or lucifer.
that will mean they will only have to focus on the most important part develop games and lots of em.
So in the end they will all become 3rd party.

Everyone aside from Nintendo who actually sells its handhelds at a profit and gets a 30% cut from both PS++ and Gamepass

Using phones or tablets to replace console gaming is just to complicated and will never happen, you think the average user will be able set it for their tv. Michael Pachter has believed this for a very long time and has not happen.

No consoles gives the best possible gaming experience and we will destroy anything in our path.



6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

kirby007 said:
Shaunodon said:

You're like 2 generations behind on the 'phones and tablets will replace console gaming' fad. That ship has sailed.

i have been saying this (with some cloud hokuspokus) for 2 generations but never imagined nintendo getting the free money from the other services

Nintendo ninja are ruthless!





             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread