Forums - Gaming Discussion - Starting Skyrim - for real this time (I hope). Some questions

So, I may sound like I was under a rock or so, but when Skyrim got released I was playing too much Monster Hunter to even care. I think I got it for Steam some time after the release, started it a few times but never really committed to the game more than some minutes. I want to do it properly now, and gonna play it on the Switch (got that right at launch to support big games on the platform, as I often do). But some things bother me, and I don't want to go through general forums to solve them because after such a long time they are sure to be filled with spoilers. So, what I want to know is:

1. What to keep in the inventory and what to let go? I remember that in one of those first attempts with the game carrying many things started to make me become heavy and that slowed down the movements. But I did not know what could be safely discarded (and would not make me regret it later on) or sold. Any pointers?

2. I will probably have only one file of play, because my gigantic backlog will not allow multiple playthroughs. I know that Bretons are considered good, but what would be the most "satisfying" race for a long playthrough, especially at endgame? The one who feels the most "accomplished" if you know what I mean, as in what is the one race that benefits most from growing during the campaign?, if that makes any sense.

Any other spoiler free general tip is also highly appreciated.

Cheers.

(: 



General gamer, fanboy hater

Around the Network

1.- Unless you really wanna get into alchemy - which is an aspect of Skyrim I personally find very boring - Discard every ingredient you come across.
Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on. Later on when you get good stuff you might wanna sell it, but early on its just dead weight.
Discard every "household" item you grab, like plates, baskets, brooms, etc, they are useless. Dont pick that stuff up.
Discard books I guess, unless you own a house you have nothing to do with them. Just read them in case one is skill-related, but no need to pick them up.
Personally, I discard food as well, whatever I need to heal comes from potions. I dont do alchemy like I said, so I always pick whatever potion I find, theres plenty. 

2.- Whatever race you like. Each of them have different bonuses so maybe choose according to however you like to play. Personally I use Nords since its fitting for Skyrim and their 50% resistance to frost is useful. But whatever you go with works I guess. I understand Bretons get a bonus on magic skills but I never used tbh.

Try to learn enchanting. Its the most useful skill IMO specially after you have it maxed in your skill tree. It can boost a lot of your damage output and you can make a lot of gold selling enchanted equipment you dont need.



Jpcc86 said:

1.- Unless you really wanna get into alchemy - which is an aspect of Skyrim I personally find very boring - Discard every ingredient you come across.
Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on. Later on when you get good stuff you might wanna sell it, but early on its just dead weight.
Discard every "household" item you grab, like plates, baskets, brooms, etc, they are useless. Dont pick that stuff up.
Discard books I guess, unless you own a house you have nothing to do with them. Just read them in case one is skill-related, but no need to pick them up.
Personally, I discard food as well, whatever I need to heal comes from potions. I dont do alchemy like I said, so I always pick whatever potion I find, theres plenty. 

2.- Whatever race you like. Each of them have different bonuses so maybe choose according to however you like to play. Personally I use Nords since its fitting for Skyrim and their 50% resistance to frost is useful. But whatever you go with works I guess. I understand Bretons get a bonus on magic skills but I never used tbh.

Try to learn enchanting. Its the most useful skill IMO specially after you have it maxed in your skill tree. It can boost a lot of your damage output and you can make a lot of gold selling enchanted equipment you dont need.

This is awesome, thanks! One more question: you said "Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on". Is it said ingame that the equipment is heavy or do I have to use other way to define if it is so?

Also, why is alchemy boring? Is it like cooking in BotW?



General gamer, fanboy hater

It becomes obvious what you need or not. Alchemy is a kinda why not skill, it is cool making poisons for assassins. I mostly played bosmer bow and dagger, the most boring and fun class.



farlaff said:
Jpcc86 said:

1.- Unless you really wanna get into alchemy - which is an aspect of Skyrim I personally find very boring - Discard every ingredient you come across.
Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on. Later on when you get good stuff you might wanna sell it, but early on its just dead weight.
Discard every "household" item you grab, like plates, baskets, brooms, etc, they are useless. Dont pick that stuff up.
Discard books I guess, unless you own a house you have nothing to do with them. Just read them in case one is skill-related, but no need to pick them up.
Personally, I discard food as well, whatever I need to heal comes from potions. I dont do alchemy like I said, so I always pick whatever potion I find, theres plenty. 

2.- Whatever race you like. Each of them have different bonuses so maybe choose according to however you like to play. Personally I use Nords since its fitting for Skyrim and their 50% resistance to frost is useful. But whatever you go with works I guess. I understand Bretons get a bonus on magic skills but I never used tbh.

Try to learn enchanting. Its the most useful skill IMO specially after you have it maxed in your skill tree. It can boost a lot of your damage output and you can make a lot of gold selling enchanted equipment you dont need.

This is awesome, thanks! One more question: you said "Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on". Is it said ingame that the equipment is heavy or do I have to use other way to define if it is so?

Also, why is alchemy boring? Is it like cooking in BotW?

Aye. Equipment show their weight value when you select them on the menu. In that same window you can check your carry capacity. 

I personally find alchemy to be a chore tbh, you gotta pick/buy ingredients that are not always immediately available and add weight, plus the game doesnt give you much help with recipes because most of them are wrong, I guess on purpose, and everything you can produce through alchemy you are gonna come across in your regular playthrough. I guess the alchemy skill that boosts potion's effect is useful, but I never bothered with it tbh, so I see it as non-essential. But thats just me, I try to keep things simpe so maybe try it just to see if you can get into it more than I did. 



Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
It becomes obvious what you need or not. Alchemy is a kinda why not skill, it is cool making poisons for assassins. I mostly played bosmer bow and dagger, the most boring and fun class.

Can't say I used poisons much, but pretty much this... Wood Elf focusing on bows, daggers, and stealth. Also stacked on endurance for every level up, sprinting for days and pockets deeper than, well... something deep. 

TL;DR if you're not playing a Wood Elf assassin you're clearly playing the game wrong :P 



Something to keep in mind is that the stealth mechanic in this game is stupid.

IIRC correctly, when your stealth is high, you can walk up to an enemy, make love to his wife in front of him, and shit directly in his mouth before he notices you.



Bristow9091 said:
Random_Matt said:
It becomes obvious what you need or not. Alchemy is a kinda why not skill, it is cool making poisons for assassins. I mostly played bosmer bow and dagger, the most boring and fun class.

Can't say I used poisons much, but pretty much this... Wood Elf focusing on bows, daggers, and stealth. Also stacked on endurance for every level up, sprinting for days and pockets deeper than, well... something deep. 

TL;DR if you're not playing a Wood Elf assassin you're clearly playing the game wrong :P 

I don't know, I lean towards a stealth archer more. At least for what I've heard some people talk.



General gamer, fanboy hater

And thanks for the answers, guys. Gonna be off for some hours but will be catching up later.



General gamer, fanboy hater

farlaff said:
Bristow9091 said:

Can't say I used poisons much, but pretty much this... Wood Elf focusing on bows, daggers, and stealth. Also stacked on endurance for every level up, sprinting for days and pockets deeper than, well... something deep. 

TL;DR if you're not playing a Wood Elf assassin you're clearly playing the game wrong :P 

I don't know, I lean towards a stealth archer more. At least for what I've heard some people talk.

Stealth archers are still assassins, that's just your long range option... once enemies get closer, or if you're in close quarters, you pull out a couple of daggers and go stabby! ...or just do it to mix combat up a bit. That's literally my favourite play style lol. Played the game "properly" for the first time in December, spent over a month on it and got the platinum trophy too, easily one of my favourites to get, and going Wood Elf with a strong focus on bows, daggers and stealth made it SUPER enjoyable!