By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - United States should downsize the population by ending all immigration and creating incentives for having fewer kids.

 

Should united states downsize it's population.

Yes 14 18.67%
 
No 59 78.67%
 
Maybe 2 2.67%
 
Total:75
This opinion is unpopular with a lot of people I've talked to, but I don't care. There are over 320 million people living in the United States and the rate of growth is exponential. There is not enough jobs, money or resources to go around especially when automation is ramping up and killing the need for humans. Truck Drivers, Teachers, Retail, Restaurants / Fast food, warehouses, farming, some IT jobs (especially because of cloud services), and I can go on all day. I hate saying this opinion especially because I know a lot of people seek to be here in the United States, but this can't sustain for very long. Also, this should apply to the world, but since I live in the United States, I can only focus on our country.
 
I might be wrong and someone can point it out. Most of this is just me speaking from the top of my head.


Around the Network

It is already happening for a while. US fertility rates are currently 1.7 and falling. Anything bellow 2.1 means population will stabilize, hit a peak and then only shrink.



CuCabeludo said:
It is already happening for a while. US fertility rates are currently 1.7 and falling. Anything bellow 2.1 means population will stabilize, hit a peak and then only shrink.

The United States population is still growing actually. We need to start dialing it back especially now that we have a high unemployment rate.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 14 June 2020

Snoopy said:
CuCabeludo said:
It is already happening for a while. US fertility rates are currently 1.7 and falling. Anything bellow 2.1 means population will stabilize, hit a peak and then only shrink.

The United States population is still growing actually. We need to start dialing it back.

It doesn't happen overnight. There is a gap between the moment a country drops below 2.1 and its populartion starts shrinking. US fertility rate fell below 2.1 between 2010 and 2015. It will take at least 3 decades until population peaks and starts shrinking.

Japan fertility rate dropped below 2.1 between 1975-1980, and as a result population grew and peaked until 2008, and from now on it will only shrink.



CuCabeludo said:
Snoopy said:

The United States population is still growing actually. We need to start dialing it back.

It doesn't happen overnight. There is a gap between the moment a country drops below 2.1 and its populartion starts shrinking. US fertility rate fell below 2.1 between 2010 and 2015. It will take at least 3 decades until population peaks and starts shrinking.

Japan fertility rate dropped below 2.1 between 1975-1980, and as a result population grew and peaked until 2008, and from now on it will only shrink.

That is going to be reverted if we keep accepting immigration legally or illegally. I hope we all start understanding this now before it is too late. We should be giving incentives such as 10% tax cuts to those who have 2 or fewer kids over the age of 25 and start making women pay child support just like men and give them the same punishment if they don't pay it (jail time).



Around the Network

You need to prove this point first:

"There is not enough jobs, money or resources to go around"

As we just left a time of historically low unemployment, I think our capacity for jobs is still more than suitable. The statement "there isn't enough money to go around" seems functionally nonsensical. I have also seen no evidence that we are short on resources, as, for example, we waste 80billion pounds of food each year, which is enough to feed roughly 40million people.



Wouldn't it just be easier to hand out free guns to all citizens? That should bring the numbers down.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

sundin13 said:
You need to prove this point first:

"There is not enough jobs, money or resources to go around"

As we just left a time of historically low unemployment, I think our capacity for jobs is still more than suitable. The statement "there isn't enough money to go around" seems functionally nonsensical. I have also seen no evidence that we are short on resources, as, for example, we waste 80billion pounds of food each year, which is enough to feed roughly 40million people.

A lot of Americans are already starving.

https://mashable.com/2016/07/14/child-hunger-united-states/#:~:text=1.,struggle%20with%20hunger%20each%20year.&text=An%20estimated%2048.8%20million%20Americans,some%20point%20during%20the%20year.

25% of Jobs in US are at risk of being automated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/these-workers-face-the-highest-risk-of-losing-their-jobs-to-automation.html

And I am pretty sure I don't need to show source on United States debt and the lack of money to provide benefits such as social security/ medicare in the near future.



sundin13 said:
You need to prove this point first:

"There is not enough jobs, money or resources to go around"

As we just left a time of historically low unemployment, I think our capacity for jobs is still more than suitable. The statement "there isn't enough money to go around" seems functionally nonsensical. I have also seen no evidence that we are short on resources, as, for example, we waste 80billion pounds of food each year, which is enough to feed roughly 40million people.

Yeah food waste is pretty bad.  Amazing how much ends up in garbage.  Then the whole meat industry being consolidated into a few companies just shows how messed up our food chain is.  Some ranchers were just euthanizing their livestock because the processing plants were shutting down because of covid outbreaks at the plants and cheaper to just kill than continue to feed. Need to have more local butchers apparently. 



Hire more incompetent police. They'll murder enough of us.