By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS Executive says Devs will need to learn how to work around Slower SSD on XSX

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/443871/microsoft-executive-devs-will-learn-to-address-xbox-series-x-ssd-slower-loading-times-when-compared-to-ps5/

And that even ignores that I/O isn't just for loading times.

So even MS is acknowledging the advantage of Sony while Sony won't say devs need to learn how to do a game on weaker GPU/CPU.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

From what we heard so far...it doesn't seem as though Series X's SSD will be difficult to work around at all. It's just that the PS5's SSD is just faster, not that the Series X is not up to par and difficult to work it. No different than developers will "work around" the weaker CPU and GPU of PS5 compared to Series X. Again, the CPU and GPU of PS5 isn't bad or not up to par, but I think it's pointless to say something like that if your SSD is still strong regardless of a stronger one available.



PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:
From what we heard so far...it doesn't seem as though Series X's SSD will be difficult to work around at all. It's just that the PS5's SSD is just faster, not that the Series X is not up to par and difficult to work it. No different than developers will "work around" the weaker CPU and GPU of PS5 compared to Series X. Again, the CPU and GPU of PS5 isn't bad or not up to par, but I think it's pointless to say something like that if your SSD is still strong regardless of a stronger one available.

Of course 3rd parties will release games that work on XSX SSD, they will mostly even make games that work on PC with similar RAM but HDD. And sure the system isn't hard to develop to, but with a significant difference in the I/O compromisses will be made. The place where we will really see a possible change in game design is exclusives.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Rafie said:
From what we heard so far...it doesn't seem as though Series X's SSD will be difficult to work around at all. It's just that the PS5's SSD is just faster, not that the Series X is not up to par and difficult to work it. No different than developers will "work around" the weaker CPU and GPU of PS5 compared to Series X. Again, the CPU and GPU of PS5 isn't bad or not up to par, but I think it's pointless to say something like that if your SSD is still strong regardless of a stronger one available.

Yes we will still have to go to sites like digital foundry to be told what res and framerate they are running and freeze frames showing something so insignificant that we needed a pointer to show it and it most likely will be there and gone in a blink of the eye.



It does make sense if the game dev wants to take full advantage of the PS5's SSD. As to whether or not that will be the norm, I will be curious to see.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network

What multiplatform games will take full advantage of PS5 SSD? Most games aren't open world to begin with and even the ones that are isn't really that fast paced. Hell, the xbox one x can handle forza horizon 4 at 4k just find when cars are going over 200 mph.



Snoopy said:

What multiplatform games will take full advantage of PS5 SSD? Most games aren't open world to begin with and even the ones that are isn't really that fast paced. Hell, the xbox one x can handle forza horizon 4 at 4k just find when cars are going over 200 mph.

Complain with the executive. You also said XSX would run the same UE5 demo at 4k60fps and I'm still waiting for your reasoning on how it would achieve it.

Also it isn't only open world games that will benefit from it (and a lot of the AAA games nowadays are more open world game inspired than anything).



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

What multiplatform games will take full advantage of PS5 SSD? Most games aren't open world to begin with and even the ones that are isn't really that fast paced. Hell, the xbox one x can handle forza horizon 4 at 4k just find when cars are going over 200 mph.

Complain with the executive. You also said XSX would run the same UE5 demo at 4k60fps and I'm still waiting for your reasoning on how it would achieve it.

Also it isn't only open world games that will benefit from it (and a lot of the AAA games nowadays are more open world game inspired than anything).

GPU and CPU on xbox one series x is more powerful. As I stated before, Forza horizon 4 already prove you can stream 4k assets at a fast rate on xbox one x, so the ssd won't be a problem.



Snoopy said:

What multiplatform games will take full advantage of PS5 SSD? Most games aren't open world to begin with and even the ones that are isn't really that fast paced. Hell, the xbox one x can handle forza horizon 4 at 4k just find when cars are going over 200 mph.

Devil May Cry V and Final Fantasy 7 Remake both have irritating load times. Simple example how a faster SSD can benefit non open world games. 



Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

Complain with the executive. You also said XSX would run the same UE5 demo at 4k60fps and I'm still waiting for your reasoning on how it would achieve it.

Also it isn't only open world games that will benefit from it (and a lot of the AAA games nowadays are more open world game inspired than anything).

GPU and CPU on xbox one series x is more powerful. As I stated before, Forza horizon 4 already prove you can stream 4k assets at a fast rate on xbox one x, so the ssd won't be a problem.

So Forza being 4k on X1 proves the UE5 would run 4k60fps on XSX? That is almost cientific.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994